Fly cuttin stock pistons ?

cjreckart

Im in the process of gathering things to start putting my motor back together. My question is what is the down sides of fly cuttin stock pistons? Also about what compression will it be with 100 thousands valve reliefs and the center bowl opened up to 2.4 inches compared to the 1.9 opening from stock? Thanks in advance for any info.

Charlie

While we are at it, is there a such thing as a template for cutting pistons? been considering the same thing. Just worried my local machine shop will have issue since they never do this type of work.

Spence

Unless you're doing the bowl work yourself, the cost of just the bowl work out-weighs buying a set of new marine pistons from Snedge. We used the block and head for marking the outline. Woodruff did the radii on mine using .025 or so.

Polydyn has a CNC program for this, then they radius and coat them. I would be Leary of any cam that requires more than .060 cutting. The 2.6 class needs the most radical of any diesel class. And done right it would not require much more fly cut then .060 and this would be on the exhaust side

Performance coatings by Polydyn

The cam i am using is a 305 intake and 385 exhaust. I was told to put the head on with the pistons in the bores and take an old valve and use it as a center punch down threw the guides.

Back