PDA

View Full Version : The Baddest Mofo in Bowling Green

CC12V
05-14-2007, 08:01 AM
This was the first time this Texas boy listened to a real pulling motor.I was totally blown away.
Sigma pumps rock!!!!!!

www.hellmannperformance.com/ericstacey.wmv

Signature600
05-14-2007, 08:18 AM
Stacey's truck ran good...but Terry Martin's Radical Ram impressed me! It sounded a lot meaner than the last time I heard it!

Are you hooked on pulling now Joe? You should build one like that for the Texas pulls :D

Chris

CC12V
05-14-2007, 08:31 AM
Man If there was a real sledpulling circuit in Texas I promise you I would build one of those trucks.:rockwoot:
Houston would pack a track every weekend. 3.5 million people need to see this in person.

gunracer1
05-14-2007, 10:01 AM
that was sweet

4x4dually
05-14-2007, 11:17 AM
FREAKIN'SWEET! Great sounding truck!

getblown5.9
05-14-2007, 12:17 PM
that video does no justice for the ground pounding power that truck displays in person. i was standing about 20' from the finish line and that thing will raise the hair on your arms and give ya goose bumps!

RacinDuallie
05-14-2007, 01:25 PM
One word- BADAZZ!

CC12V
05-14-2007, 03:56 PM
that video does no justice for the ground pounding power that truck displays in person. i was standing about 20' from the finish line and that thing will raise the hair on your arms and give ya goose bumps!
That ain't no sh.....When he laid the hammer down all the way about 70' out , I never imagined a 5.9 ever sounding like that.

joefarmer
05-14-2007, 04:49 PM
That ain't no sh.....When he laid the hammer down all the way about 70' out , I never imagined a 5.9 ever sounding like that.
... don't you mean something 'based' on a 5.9l. ;) Most of the big boys aren't running stock cubes. It sounded wicked.

bradnon.

Sledpuller
05-14-2007, 08:30 PM
This was the first time this Texas boy listened to a real pulling motor.I was totally blown away.
Sigma pumps rock!!!!!!

How long have I been telling the dyno queens, and you drag racers, who is KING of the HP wars??:bow:

Build the truck Joe, and I'll get you events in Texas to pull at.:woohoo:

DieselTweaker
05-14-2007, 08:51 PM
one thing,,, most trucks are around stock cubes.....

Robertp
05-14-2007, 09:21 PM
holy god that truck was nasty. i want one. well maybe two or three cause i would ruin at least one on the street. that was one bad ass truck!!!

Jim Fulmer
05-15-2007, 12:31 AM
Makes you wonder how it doesn't scatter the motor across the track, guess you have to just say.....I'm not afraid!

Jim

mech2161
05-15-2007, 07:19 AM
one thing,,, most trucks are around stock cubes.....

And your trying to say exactly what???

PRattenbury
05-15-2007, 02:05 PM
Holy crappe. That thing's truly a beast. :bow:

getblown5.9
05-15-2007, 02:17 PM
http://thumbs.vidiac.com/f8bf5fdd-62c6-45d9-8997-992f00e0d28d.jpg (http://video.competitiondiesel.com/video/f8bf5fdd-62c6-45d9-8997-992f00e0d28d.htm)Click here to see Video (http://video.competitiondiesel.com/video/f8bf5fdd-62c6-45d9-8997-992f00e0d28d.htm)

http://thumbs.vidiac.com/3f6c68b8-2f39-491f-b60b-992f00df84e0.jpg (http://video.competitiondiesel.com/video/3f6c68b8-2f39-491f-b60b-992f00df84e0.htm)Click here to see Video (http://video.competitiondiesel.com/video/3f6c68b8-2f39-491f-b60b-992f00df84e0.htm)

http://thumbs.vidiac.com/63b38267-f566-49fb-a3ab-992f00e19a44.jpg (http://video.competitiondiesel.com/video/63b38267-f566-49fb-a3ab-992f00e19a44.htm)Click here to see Video (http://video.competitiondiesel.com/video/63b38267-f566-49fb-a3ab-992f00e19a44.htm)

http://thumbs.vidiac.com/36ec583a-9f24-40e0-94f4-992f00e3d19b.jpg (http://video.competitiondiesel.com/video/36ec583a-9f24-40e0-94f4-992f00e3d19b.htm)Click here to see Video (http://video.competitiondiesel.com/video/36ec583a-9f24-40e0-94f4-992f00e3d19b.htm)

DarkShadowDiesel
05-15-2007, 04:20 PM
i used to see him pulling that on a trailer all the time when i was working east of town. my friend ran into that truck on a highway around here one day when it was still on a stock frame and he was running dual stacks back in the day.... it rattled the windows of his s4, said it was the nastiest thing he had ever heard

ABOBB
05-15-2007, 06:05 PM
There are more of these!!!

Kent Crowder
Van Haisley
Ben Miller (powered by a 7.3 PSD based engine)
Dave Mitchell used to have a truck that ran in this class haven't seen it in a few years.
Chris Watson had one, and it was top of the heap in DHRA points last year, but it got sold and moved west to become Big Bad Diesel.

9 LIVES
05-15-2007, 09:04 PM
anyway to find out the next race ben miller will be running at? would love to see that super stroke

CumminAtYa
05-15-2007, 10:51 PM
x2.

Sledpuller
05-16-2007, 12:00 PM
If I remember right, Don M insists its just the short stack that fools you into thinking these trucks have power.

ABOBB
05-16-2007, 04:03 PM
anyway to find out the next race ben miller will be running at? would love to see that super stroke

I'll do some checking around as soon as I can... They had a wastegate issue toward the end of last season and scattered the engine, although to what degree I never really heard. I was told in Feb that it was going back together, but haven't heard what the progress is on it.

If it's back in running order, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see it at Scheid's, or possibly running either the DHRA, or PPL schedules.

MrJohnWayne
05-16-2007, 04:11 PM
That sucker is BAD!

Snedge
05-16-2007, 05:11 PM
That is no sissy driven that beast. But I bet he pee's a little bit everytime. That is some scarey rpm.:clap:

enegpsd
05-16-2007, 07:02 PM
For the record, that truck is only the third baddest MoFo, considering he was in third place, eh?:clap:

duke1n
05-17-2007, 11:56 AM
Neat stuff for sure but they are mopeds when compared to a T/F car. If you want to be truly blown away go see a NHRA National event. 7000hp makes 1500hp seem pretty wimpy :) Little Ashley sits on top 7000hp so if you're pee'in sitting on 1500hp then you're a Sally.

getblown5.9
05-17-2007, 12:24 PM
I'll do some checking around as soon as I can... They had a wastegate issue toward the end of last season and scattered the engine, although to what degree I never really heard. I was told in Feb that it was going back together, but haven't heard what the progress is on it.

If it's back in running order, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see it at Scheid's, or possibly running either the DHRA, or PPL schedules.

recently talked to someone involved with that build and was told they didnt not rebuild the stroker style motor because building it the first time cost about $100k and was too costly to do again. i can not guarantee this information tho.

OSOBIGFORD
05-17-2007, 12:31 PM
Picked The Wrong Line Down The Track The Sled Sank About 8 Inches Into The Clay.Terry Martins Truck Did Run Great.

DarkShadowDiesel
05-17-2007, 01:42 PM
recently talked to someone involved with that build and was told they didnt not rebuild the stroker style motor because building it the first time cost about $100k and was too costly to do again. i can not guarantee this information tho.

i'd have to check but i'm pretty sure it's getting rebuilt since i was told some 7.3 R&R rods were going in it. that could've all changed though.

Timbeaux
05-17-2007, 01:49 PM
Picked The Wrong Line Down The Track The Sled Sank About 8 Inches Into The Clay.Terry Martins Truck Did Run Great.

Mr. Tarr, I assume?

ABOBB
05-17-2007, 06:51 PM
i'd have to check but i'm pretty sure it's getting rebuilt since i was told some 7.3 R&R rods were going in it. that could've all changed though.

I seem to remember hearing the same thing.. seems I heard that Bunting was comfortable with his rods cause that build was using them too!!

BTW... the original build was rumored to have cost over $150K... but unless the crash was pretty horrific, the costly parts should have lived to fight again another day, making a rebuild much cheaper.

ABOBB
05-17-2007, 06:54 PM
Neat stuff for sure but they are mopeds when compared to a T/F car. If you want to be truly blown away go see a NHRA National event. 7000hp makes 1500hp seem pretty wimpy :) Little Ashley sits on top 7000hp so if you're pee'in sitting on 1500hp then you're a Sally.

Last time I checked.. the only thing close to burning diesel in "Little Ashley's" operation would be the semi that hauls the race cars to the track.

A top fuel engine burns nitromethane, a totally different fuel from what powers Mr Stacey, or Mr Martin's trucks. Please explain exactly how this comparison is relevant.

Sledpuller
05-17-2007, 09:36 PM
Call me when Top Fuel has inline 6s running on Diesel.

Is this the Top Fuel gasser trash Competition Forum????????

And a F-16 kicks ass also...........:owned:

Lostnwalmart
05-17-2007, 10:13 PM
and she dosent sit on top of 7000 hp she sits infront of 7000 hp.

duke1n
05-17-2007, 10:23 PM
You backwoods hillbillies need to get out more often. First, the driver of a funny car does not sit in front of the engine lol. Second, what does fuel have to do with anything? Third, Sleddy, you couldn't even handle a 3hp golf cart the last time I checked so your opinion doesn't mean much lol. I'm just saying that if the biggest thing you've seen is a 1500hp diesel at the county fair, then I'm sure you think you've seen Jesus and been to heaven and back. The reality is while they're cool and neat and make big puffy clouds of soot in the sky, there are much much more impressive internal combustion engines out there. So do yourself a favor this summer, pile all the cousins, kids, and wives, in the back of your diesel peekumup truck, if you can decide which is which, and go check out something that makes your triple turbos diesel mobiles seem like lawn mowers lol. So now that we have that out of the way, how many of you wide eyed county fair goers have ever seen a T/F car?

ABOBB
05-17-2007, 11:10 PM
Never seen a TF Funny car in person.. hope to get the chance some day if I've got time.. they are indeed impressive. They still aren't any kind of even comparison to any diesel engine. Two totally different animals.

Now.. if you really wanna talk big diesel power, the truck pull guys will admit they they aren't the top of the heap. There are diesel tractors out there with close to twice the cui and as many as 4 turbos.

When you talk about going out to see something impressive.. and yes, I'll grant you that the TF cars are exactly that, but don't look at them as the be-all and end-all of impressive. I've witnessed sled pulling tractors with 4 T-55 Lycoming Jet turbines (rated at 4000hp each IIRC) make their way down the track. They dwarf even the big diesel tractors in hp.. but they also don't compete in the same class.

Signature600
05-18-2007, 07:29 AM
Sorry, if it doesn't have a turbo, or burn good ole #2, I'm just not as interested...But I have seen, and "helped" work on, a 2800hp diesel, and a 4000hp Alky tractor. By helped, I mean I helped him put the valve cover back on it, and then wrapped the 1/2" cable around the block again:D

Chris

CC12V
05-18-2007, 07:56 AM
You backwoods hillbillies need to get out more often. First, the driver of a funny car does not sit in front of the engine lol. Second, what does fuel have to do with anything? Third, Sleddy, you couldn't even handle a 3hp golf cart the last time I checked so your opinion doesn't mean much lol. I'm just saying that if the biggest thing you've seen is a 1500hp diesel at the county fair, then I'm sure you think you've seen Jesus and been to heaven and back. The reality is while they're cool and neat and make big puffy clouds of soot in the sky, there are much much more impressive internal combustion engines out there. So do yourself a favor this summer, pile all the cousins, kids, and wives, in the back of your diesel peekumup truck, if you can decide which is which, and go check out something that makes your triple turbos diesel mobiles seem like lawn mowers lol. So now that we have that out of the way, how many of you wide eyed county fair goers have ever seen a T/F car?

This post wasn't about anything I saw at the pulls more than what I heard from Erik Stacey's motor. Radical Ram won the pull but sounded totally different.
Top Fuel motors are impressive but are not what I tear apart and put together in my shop. So obviosly I was quite impressed.

Bye the way Sleddy, Keating took me to Robert Galloways house to check out his alcohol tractor that Thursday in Knoxville. So my sledpulling cherry has been totally gang raped.:cheer:

ABOBB
05-18-2007, 08:08 AM
Signature600 that stuff is totally cool, isn't it?? I've been fortunate enough to be a little deeper on some of them than you've gotten, but most of that was do to blind luck and happening to know the right folks.

CC12V... Robert's a hell of a guy isn't he.. He's starting to get that alky running the way it should.

Snedge
05-18-2007, 09:04 AM
[ So do yourself a favor this summer, pile all the cousins, kids, and wives, in the back of your diesel peekumup truck, if you can decide which is which, and go check out something that makes your triple turbos diesel mobiles seem like lawn mowers lol. So now that we have that out of the way, how many of you wide eyed county fair goers have ever seen a T/F car?[/quote]

I have seen them run many times. If we are talking power, the space shuttle launch makes the top fuels look wimpy, but I think we are talking diesel.

Signature600
05-18-2007, 09:16 AM
Signature600 that stuff is totally cool, isn't it?? I've been fortunate enough to be a little deeper on some of them than you've gotten, but most of that was do to blind luck and happening to know the right folks.

CC12V... Robert's a hell of a guy isn't he.. He's starting to get that alky running the way it should.

Yeah, pretty sweet. We know Larry Robert's...actually, we are one of his business competitors in the machinery business...but through some of our customers were invited to his farm for a "farm group" meeting. Afterwards, he offered to take us to the barn where they were wrenching on the tractors.

Talk about a nice shop, and a nice collection of toys! 3 Alky tractors, and 1 turbine tractor...it was a blast checking those things out close up, without people telling you to back off like they normally do!

Chris

CC12V
05-18-2007, 06:01 PM

Yea he's a really nice guy. He was like a proud pappa answering all my questions.
Answer me this Sleddy....why are there no air shutoff's on these tractors?

Jim Fulmer
05-18-2007, 06:47 PM
So am I the only person that noticed or has noticed how totally different this truck sound verses all the other trucks I've ever heard?

Jim

Snedge
05-18-2007, 07:04 PM
Oh, I noticed. Sounds like big cubes. Bigger than 5.9. Not saying it is cause I don't know, but it sound biggish.

CC12V
05-18-2007, 07:21 PM
I was told the big difference is the Sigma pump. It injects fuel so much faster than our P pumps. The Radical Ram I was told has a 12 cylinder pump but the sound was much different .

ABOBB
05-18-2007, 08:18 PM
Yea he's a really nice guy. He was like a proud pappa answering all my questions.
Answer me this Sleddy....why are there no air shutoff's on these tractors?

Joe.. there is visible air shut off on Roberts tractor because as an alcohol burner, it is spark ignited. Therefore the kill switch disables the ignition system. Also.. those engines have a throttle body, which closes when the throttle is returned to the idle postion.

Had you seen a diesel version of that same tractor, it would have a air shut off.

CC12V
05-19-2007, 09:20 PM
Joe.. there is visible air shut off on Roberts tractor because as an alcohol burner, it is spark ignited. Therefore the kill switch disables the ignition system. Also.. those engines have a throttle body, which closes when the throttle is returned to the idle postion.

Had you seen a diesel version of that same tractor, it would have a air shut off.

Now that you mentioned it I did see a throttle body.
The two into one turbos were pretty cool.:evil

DarkShadowDiesel
05-19-2007, 11:07 PM
www.smoknya.com is his website if yall want to see his pics etc... not sure if someone posted this yet or not so if its a repost sorry

ABOBB
05-20-2007, 01:03 PM
Now that you mentioned it I did see a throttle body.
The two into one turbos were pretty cool.:evil

Did that get your wheels spinning?

You should hook up with sleddy, myself or someone, and get somewhere to check out some of the big diesel pullers. A few of them have 4 turbos in 3 stages!!!

Scheid's event would be a good spot to do that.

Sledpuller
05-20-2007, 04:57 PM
All Diesel pulling tractors have air shutoffs.

BilletGarage
05-20-2007, 06:50 PM
Sigma pumps rock!!!!!!

Whoa! That was crazy RPM's! Anybody know what he spins that motor too?
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

ABOBB
05-21-2007, 10:15 AM
Yeah, pretty sweet. We know Larry Robert's...actually, we are one of his business competitors in the machinery business...but through some of our customers were invited to his farm for a "farm group" meeting. Afterwards, he offered to take us to the barn where they were wrenching on the tractors.

Talk about a nice shop, and a nice collection of toys! 3 Alky tractors, and 1 turbine tractor...it was a blast checking those things out close up, without people telling you to back off like they normally do!

Chris

Wow.. rubbing elbow with the cream of the crop there. I don't wanna drop names... but I've been fortunate enough to turn wrenches (as a volunteer) for 3 different teams who all of which either were, or later became national champs. I've met tons of people from chasing that sport, and have had more fun than I probably deserve.

Signature600
05-21-2007, 10:36 AM
Yeah...I know Larry, but we don't "hang out" We are business competitors after all:D I know a few others in the pulling fields that Dad has met over the years.

Pretty good friends with Kenny and Shelly Bryan with the Allis Challenger. Also deal with the Atley's, and Earley's here in southern Ohio!

Chris

ABOBB
05-21-2007, 09:08 PM
Yeah...I know Larry, but we don't "hang out" We are business competitors after all:D I know a few others in the pulling fields that Dad has met over the years.

Pretty good friends with Kenny and Shelly Bryan with the Allis Challenger. Also deal with the Atley's, and Earley's here in southern Ohio!

Chris

I know of Atley's and Early's... don't know them too well though. I do know Kenny and Shelly, even though I haven't seen them lately. Next time you see them ask them about the Bobb Brothers in Indiana (my uncles).

Signature600
05-22-2007, 07:38 AM
Heard of those guys too...KB hasn't fixed his engine since he grenaded it a couple years ago. He's trying to figure out whether to stick with the 426 AC, or go with a 466 since they're allowed in the AC's now! That tractor was a good runner a few years ago...I think he made about 25 hooks with a cracked crank, but it finally let go:D

Chris

oldsmokey97
05-22-2007, 01:22 PM
what kind of rpms was that?? 5500? 6000? 6500??

Lance