loss of power (dead peddle)

jzander26

i have a 99 dodge 5.9 cummins 2500 4x4 diesel. my tps went out like two weeks ago the check engine light came on i changed the tps box (i got one from the junk yard) the light went out truck ran good for a day or so then i started having a quick dead pedle in 5th put the truck in nuatural i could rev it up no problems put it back in 5th and go on no problems now its doing it more often in any gear it wants to and any time it want to on the gas letting off the gas holding the same speed it does it longer in the mornings when it is cold i look at the factory tps and it had a number like .468 and the new tps is like .586 or something like that i have try to adjust it and reset it but no luck and i do not have a check engine light on and this truck is all factory no upgrads any help on this would be really great thanks

Last edited:
To adjust the sensor for "stickered" voltage of .486 or .525 or whatever, you put a DMM on a wire at the PCM and adjust the screws until that voltage is read. Is this what you did? I'd say it has nothing to do with what gear you are in. Buying an APPS from a junk yard is a crap toss as they will usually have 150K+ miles on them.

Pay more attention as to what %throttle you are at when it fails. If you have any electroinics that you can read %throttle, watch it. Set the pedal on the floor while you drive and hold it. Watch the readout and see if it jumps around. If it don't, move it some more and try again. You may find a dead or flutuating spot in it. If I set my pedal at about 18% it would jump around. All other %ages were fine. New Apps. If everything works out doing this, hellloooo new VP. :D If you %age stays constant and your RPM's jump around.....it is most likely the VP.

$.02 Hope this helps.

Back