PDA

View Full Version : Cummins ISX

KW W900
01-03-2011, 03:19 PM
I was wondering if anyone on here had any experience with the ISX engine. We are looking at geting a 2005 Kenworth W900 with a 475 HP EGR engine with right under 500,000 miles on it.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks, Brian

Bullrack
01-10-2011, 09:00 PM
We have 33 379 exhd Peterbilts, we bought 30 with Cat 475,500, and 600 in 2007 and tried 3 with the Cummins ISX 475. They are real pullers for 475's with 13 speeds and 3.70 rears. The only real problems we've had from them are turbos and EGR issues. These engines seem to eat turbos like crazy. Those 3 are running in dusty conditions around a landfill, but so are 8 of the Cats and we've not replaced one turbo on those yet. I bought another Pete 389 flat-top with the ISX 475 in '08 for our lowboy fleet just because it was a smoking deal. It has had EGR and EGR cooler issues that keep occuring. I just bought another one 2 months ago, '09 Pete 389 36" flat-top with the ISX 600 and 18 spd.. It was used for heavy haul and had only 31,000mis. I now know why I got it so cheap, it's drinking water due to the EGR cooler like the others. I will buy glider kits from now on and install reman Cat engines in them. About that W900, you should be fine with the '05, they were not really problematic but I would run a history on it. If it's a smokin deal, go ahead and get it, the turbo and EGR issues are not that expensive. Steven.

HidalgoGT
01-10-2011, 09:10 PM
I agree with Bull. I work for a national company who has lots of trucks with the ISX. We deal with more EGR then turbo's and I do mean a lot of EGR stuff. Keep EGR valves on stock if ya get one.

jfaulkner
01-11-2011, 11:38 AM
You can dump all the EGR crap and fix it once. Or plan on replacing at least one EGR valve and maybe one cooler each year and maybe a turbo. It can be fixed to run but it'll never turn yellow. LOL

Blocking the EGR will gain you .5mpg, deleting it from the ECM also will gain you around 1mpg. Deleting it completely costs I believe around $3k on a pre SCR engine, or about what it will cost you each year in just fixing the junk.

I just had an Acert cat reflashed to 725hp and asked about an ISX since I can't order a new cat and that's what he told me.

Bullrack
01-12-2011, 05:55 PM
It can be fixed to run but it'll never turn yellow. LOL

Love that quote! I do believe that's better than the "If it's not a CAT, it's a dog".

The thing that kills me is that the ISX will derate with less than a gallon of coolant loss and completely shutdown with just over a gallon of coolant loss. The ISX will run several thousand miles drinking coolant before cracking the EGR cooler though. Sounds like I might know this from experience, don't it?

Bullrack
01-12-2011, 06:00 PM
I just had an Acert cat reflashed to 725hp and asked about an ISX since I can't order a new cat and that's what he told me.[/QUOTE]

Glider kit! Go through that Acert and plant it in a new glider. Is the special ordering window for the Cat still open or has it closed? Clint at KC Pete was telling me about this back a few months ago when I was talking glider kits. I think it was something about paying the extra for the EPA charges for the engine not meeting emissions.

jfaulkner
01-13-2011, 03:08 PM
Glider kit! Go through that Acert and plant it in a new glider. Is the special ordering window for the Cat still open or has it closed? Clint at KC Pete was telling me about this back a few months ago when I was talking glider kits. I think it was something about paying the extra for the EPA charges for the engine not meeting emissions.
Na, can't get a KW glider and Pete's are just leftover KW parts.LOL

An ISX can be fixed, even the newest Cats can have all the junk deleted at PDI. They ran a 2011 ISX at their dyno day that with just the emissions delete and 10% added fuel hit 788hp. Not too shabby for an EPA engine. Another guy went from like 3.2mpg to 6.5 by dumping all the EPA junk.

The best quote I heard was "Diesel engines are like bananas, they're not worth a sh!t until they turn yellow" I only did a stage 1 tune and I have to say, an acert that's tuned right is a mean MF'r!:evil

WVtrucker
01-15-2011, 08:52 PM
i got an 07 acert 550 and cant get clevland bros to turn it up

HidalgoGT
01-16-2011, 08:25 AM

Call Pittsburgh Power

jfaulkner
01-16-2011, 09:30 AM

Call Pittsburgh Power
Forget Pittsburgh, with an acert you need PDI. Trust me, you will not be disappointed. There is no good factory flash files for an acert since it was designed as an emissions motor. With the older models like the 5ek's or 6NZ\7CZ you could have someone (not cat) flash them to an older pre LOW-NOX file. But there isn't any for an acert so you need a modified file. With PDI you tell them what your looking for, power or fuel economy. They can add as little as 30hp over stock and as much as 1000hp with RPM. It's totally up to you. I went with power but even with that the fuel mileage should increase just due to the added timing. They can even delete all the DPF programming if yours is a DPF motor.

HidalgoGT
01-16-2011, 11:46 AM
Forget Pittsburgh, with an acert you need PDI. Trust me, you will not be disappointed. There is no good factory flash files for an acert since it was designed as an emissions motor. With the older models like the 5ek's or 6NZ\7CZ you could have someone (not cat) flash them to an older pre LOW-NOX file. But there isn't any for an acert so you need a modified file. With PDI you tell them what your looking for, power or fuel economy. They can add as little as 30hp over stock and as much as 1000hp with RPM. It's totally up to you. I went with power but even with that the fuel mileage should increase just due to the added timing. They can even delete all the DPF programming if yours is a DPF motor.

My bad didn't really know all of this and just said who I could think of. They are local as why they came to mind. I remember when I drove there used to be a guy that would travel to several truck stops in Ohio and offer to turn trucks up and said it couldnt be caught if it was a company truck. Never did try and find out though lol.

jfaulkner
01-16-2011, 04:17 PM
My bad didn't really know all of this and just said who I could think of. They are local as why they came to mind. I remember when I drove there used to be a guy that would travel to several truck stops in Ohio and offer to turn trucks up and said it couldnt be caught if it was a company truck. Never did try and find out though lol.
Oh no big deal I'm not saying Pittsburgh isn't a good shop but I've known several guys that had their power box and non of them kept them very long. Extremely hard on stuff, they would run really hot and surge. And the biggest issue with any of these new engines is the EPA programming. Simply adding fuel doesn't do much but add heat because the timing is so retarded. My only regret with my '06 MXS Acert C15 is not doing the reflash sooner. And with an ISX you have to delete the EGR junk or your fuel mileage and power will suffer. Along with the yearly EGR valve replacement and most likely an EGR cooler also.

There's guys that have all the factory Cat flash files but there isn't any good factory Acert files. A lot of guys can change injector codes or FTS-FLS settings but there are very few that can mess with timing and fuel tables. I don't know of anyone that messes with Cummins files other than companies like PDI, Bullydog, or Boost Engineering.

HidalgoGT
01-16-2011, 06:38 PM
Oh no big deal I'm not saying Pittsburgh isn't a good shop but I've known several guys that had their power box and non of them kept them very long. Extremely hard on stuff, they would run really hot and surge. And the biggest issue with any of these new engines is the EPA programming. Simply adding fuel doesn't do much but add heat because the timing is so retarded. My only regret with my '06 MXS Acert C15 is not doing the reflash sooner. And with an ISX you have to delete the EGR junk or your fuel mileage and power will suffer. Along with the yearly EGR valve replacement and most likely an EGR cooler also.

There's guys that have all the factory Cat flash files but there isn't any good factory Acert files. A lot of guys can change injector codes or FTS-FLS settings but there are very few that can mess with timing and fuel tables. I don't know of anyone that messes with Cummins files other than companies like PDI, Bullydog, or Boost Engineering.

We got a brand new frieghtlioner m2 with the 6.7 in it and a 6spd. They only rated it at 200hp and the truck is probaly round 16k. My boss tried with lil effort but they told him a lil over 2k to turn it up cause the 6psd would not handle it. It has all the emissions crap on it minus DEF. Poor thing suffers so bad smallest hill has it down in 4th. Could be why it only has 6k miles on it and its almost 2 years old. No one likes taken it anywhere.

Bullrack
01-16-2011, 09:27 PM
Well, when we had choices between Cat and Cummins, we could play the area reps against each other for the not-so-public tunes on a 3 truck or more deal. Those days are long gone now unfortunately. There are guys within Cummins MidSouth that know what they are doing with higher hp Cummins, reason I know is a friend was ordering a new Pete in '07 and his best friend was ordering a new IH 9900i. The Pete was ordered with the 625 Cat and the IH was ordered with the ISX 565, but when the IH arrrived the Cummins rep made an appt. for it to visit Cummins MidSouth in Morgan City, La. It came back running damn good and way better than any ISX should run. He probably could have left it alone compared to the pig the Cat 625 was. The guy with the Cat just had PDI work it over and they both still haul grain together. Bad deal is that the ISX will still walk all over that Cat on the big hills, and I have yellow paint running through my blood so that hurts to say!

Bullrack
01-16-2011, 09:32 PM
Oh HidalgoGT, that is par for the dealerships to say. The tranny will handle any power increase you can throw at it, the clutch might not like for long, but that's easily remedied too. There are plenty of programmers out there that will turn that pig into a roadrunner. Steven.

jakemono
01-20-2011, 03:36 PM
As previously stated the ISX motors eat turbos, egr valves, and coolers like a kid eats candy. We only run 10 in our fleet and there is one going to kenworth for warranty stuff atleast once every 4-6 weeks. Most of them are low mile (Less then 150k) ALL of them have went in atleast once.

frdlght14
01-24-2011, 02:44 PM
The trucking company i work for has 30 379 Peterbilts ranging from 2004-2009. There are 12 2008-09 trucks that have the new ISX motors. There is one sitting at the cummins shop at all times. We have had 3 with cracked heads, 6 turbo failures and so many egr coolers that we keep 3 on the parts shelf in stock at all times. All of these motors have less then 250k miles on them and are well maintained.

Mr.T
01-24-2011, 02:58 PM
judas, i have no idea why you guys are having so much trouble with the ISX, the company i used to work for has 40 trucks with ISX engines ranging from 2000 to 2008 set from 525 to 600 hp and they have had troubles with the egr valves in all of them but only 9 of the trucks have needed new turbos.....

stkdram55
01-24-2011, 03:47 PM
there is a new design for the egr cooler out from cummins that can be replaced under warranty right now...but once again it probably wont help unless you completely remove them like stated...ive replaced my fair share of coolers, valves, and turbos on these things also had one blow a turbo about 2 months ago and ran off to about 6 grand for like 20 minutes the driver said...$$$$$

jfaulkner
01-24-2011, 04:47 PM
The ISX just like the very last on-highway Cat can be great engines.........As long as you junk ALL of the epa crap. I believe it costs about $4k to strip the DPF off a cat. The cummins cost all depends on what year, it's about $8k to completely strip a SCR ISX (includes a new exhaust manifold and turbo and all the ECM deletes)

I remember when the Acert first came out and people thought the twin chargers would be a nightmare and extremely expensive to replace. Ends up costing the same as a new ISX VGT.

truckwrench1
01-24-2011, 07:38 PM
how are all your rocker arms holding up in them cats i work for a fleet with 1800 petes and all cats and rockers are a regular deal along with water pumps and broken exhaust bolts. when at cummins we had very good luck with the egrs ( better luck ) if you get the red antifreeze out of them and go back to standard green

1-5-3-6-2-4
01-24-2011, 11:51 PM
A guy brought in his 2001-2003 ish Pete C15 to us for a dyno run for a "baseline" it called 838 rearwheel HP on the dyno. and stopped there becasue couldn't keep the CAC boots on.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r193/demon_044/Big%20Trucks/C15cat838rwhp01.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r193/demon_044/Big%20Trucks/C15cat838rwhp02.jpg

KW W900
01-30-2011, 10:03 PM
Thank you all for the coments. We still havent got a truck yet.
Thanks again

C111
02-12-2011, 07:22 AM
I agree with the given sentiment so far, I've worked with a lot of ISX engines and they're great. 99% of the problems are related to the EGR system. Delete it and the engine is fantastic and every bit as reliable as the pre-EGR engine. The VGT turbo also gives the engine real balls across the RPM range instead of just at the top as with the pre-egr Signature series.

Willy91
02-28-2011, 07:50 PM
A guy brought in his 2001-2003 ish Pete C15 to us for a dyno run for a "baseline" it called 838 rearwheel HP on the dyno. and stopped there becasue couldn't keep the CAC boots on.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r193/demon_044/Big%20Trucks/C15cat838rwhp01.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r193/demon_044/Big%20Trucks/C15cat838rwhp02.jpg

Thought the compound turbos didn't come around till 04? I've got an 03 torn down in the shop right now with single charger.

1-5-3-6-2-4
03-03-2011, 12:19 AM
you're right on the accert. epa04 of course. must have been an 2004 rig. or late 03.

jfaulkner
03-03-2011, 06:54 AM
This is how an '06 ISX is supposed to look!
http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28329&d=1298843076
http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28330&d=1298843076

Probably a good engine when it's void of all things emissions related!!!:clap:

C111
03-03-2011, 07:17 AM
Except for that (still) very restrictive intake pipe and loss of the superior VGT....

Snedge
03-03-2011, 07:34 AM
It can be fixed to run but it'll never turn yellow. LOL

Pete's are just leftover KW parts.

Up untill reading your comments on this thread, I thought you might just be alrightLOL.

Except for that (still) very restrictive intake pipe and loss of the superior VGT....

It's a cost per mile thing. While it is a step backwards, it is more cost effective for the owner.

jfaulkner
03-03-2011, 07:47 AM
The intake pipe in the pic is a replacement for the stock POS. And I can live without a VGT, especially one that needs replaced often.

C111
03-03-2011, 07:52 AM
especially one that needs replaced often.
No more than any other turbo. Most of the VGT's problems come from the EGR causing high EGTs and additional soot load. Eliminate the EGR and its just as reliable as every wastegated turbo but with FAR better response time.

jfaulkner
03-03-2011, 07:54 AM
Up untill reading your comments on this thread, I thought you might just be alrightLOL.

It's a cost per mile thing. While it is a step backwards, it is more cost effective for the owner.
HA!, Pete's are ok for being 2nd place I just don't have a big enough chip on my shoulder to drive one.:poke:

2011 SCR ISX went from 3.6mpg to 6.2mpg by "stepping backwards". At $3.80+ fuel, Cummins can take their warranty and wipe there butt with it.:ft:

jfaulkner
03-03-2011, 08:01 AM
No more than any other turbo. Most of the VGT's problems come from the EGR causing high EGTs and additional soot load. Eliminate the EGR and its just as reliable as every wastegated turbo but with FAR better response time.
Not really concerned with response time, It's not a drag truck.:shake:

I'm not sure why they remove it when you do the full delete. It may be with the modded programming the ECM no longer can control it. Or it can't control it correctly. There's got to be a reason to justify the added cost of a new charger/manifold I just never asked what it was. They were the wrong color for me, I was just inquiring about the fixes for the ISX for future truck purchases due to the lack of engine options available now.

Mr.T
03-05-2011, 08:15 PM
HA!, Pete's are ok for being 2nd place I just don't have a big enough chip on my shoulder to drive one.:poke:

smash a fender on a pete and you replace a fender, smash a fender on a KW and you replace a hood, whats the cost per mile on that? LOL

jfaulkner
03-05-2011, 09:01 PM
smash a fender on a pete and you replace a fender, smash a fender on a KW and you replace a hood, whats the cost per mile on that? LOL
KW drivers don't hit **** so we don't need replaceable fenders.:poke:

Only crappy drivers figure replacement body parts in their cost per mile figures!LOL

Timebomb
03-05-2011, 09:59 PM
Id buy a Mack....

hamlin
03-05-2011, 10:27 PM
if the trucks your lookin at are in the 500,000 range look at the back of the head on drivers side if the head gasket is leakin oil, plan on replacing the head gasket soon theyll leak so bad it will cover everything under the truck i work at a cummins shop and the trucks around 05 vintage are starting to come in. when it does they usually have about 500,000 give or take on them we are an int'l dealer as well so most of the trucks we do are 9200,9400 models and the bill out the door is usually between $3500 -4000 just to replace the head gasket. just somethin to keep in mind

C111
03-06-2011, 05:22 AM
Not really concerned with response time, It's not a drag truck.
Response time has far more effect on drivability than racing.

It may be with the modded programming the ECM no longer can control it.
I don't see why that would be the case. All they really need to do is set the EGR's flow to 0% across the map and disable the electrical check or set the trouble code trigger outside the modified range.

jfaulkner
03-06-2011, 08:14 AM
Id buy a Mack....
You mean a POS Volvo with a dog on the hood?:umno:

I don't see why that would be the case. All they really need to do is set the EGR's flow to 0% across the map and disable the electrical check or set the trouble code trigger outside the modified range.
Like I said I have no idea. We have all Cats, I only asked about fixing an ISX when I got my Acert flashed in case I need to do some truck shopping. I wanted to know what to avoid but he said they can fix all of them, even the SCR motors. If I was in the market I would have asked more questions. I've got a 6NZ I'm going to get flashed so I may ask about the VGT when I call.

Snedge
03-06-2011, 09:43 AM
Id buy a Mack....

Hmmmm. Go figure. LOL
Did you see the Undercover boss episode with the Mack CEO on?
Pretty cool.

Timebomb
03-06-2011, 10:26 AM
You mean a POS Volvo with a dog on the hood?:umno:

They currently have a great product, cant say the same for the old 12L stuff they did have major EGR issues.

Hmmmm. Go figure. LOL
Did you see the Undercover boss episode with the Mack CEO on?
Pretty cool.

Yeah I did, They were out in production, I had no clue they were there. But being in the product development side we miss alot of the day to day stuff that happens in general population.

jfaulkner
03-07-2011, 07:59 AM
Response time has far more effect on drivability than racing.

I asked about why they dump the VGT when you do a complete EGR delete and this is the answer I got.

You don't have to do the VGT delete at the same time you do the EGR delete. When I talk with someone about these engines I tell them to do it as parts fail.

You can do a standard Stage 1 tune on the ECM, I recommend this if the engine has existing warranty left and the customer wants to utilize it till it expires.

You can do the Stage 1 tune with the EGR deleted. If anyone has an EGR valve going bad or is bad.......I recommend that they do a Stage 1 tune with the EGR delete at the moment. The cost of doing this versus fixing the EGR valve isn't that much more and you've eliminated future EGR failures.

The turbo will fail sooner or later in the future, at this time I'd send the ECM back to add the VGT turbo delete and install a different turbo and exhaust manifold.

By doing it this way it will cost more $$$$$ for the complete conversion to a standard turbo over the long haul, but you don't have to pay for it all at one shot. This conversion isn't cheap and to be able to do it in bits and pieces as the emission parts fail is the easiest for people to afford.

I had someone that did an ISX Stage 1 with the EGR delete last week. Jerry called me afterwards to tell me the ECM has a number of recent VGT faults codes stored. With these turbos it not if they self-destruct or fail its a matter of when. A new turbo from Cummins is around $4000 to replace and it will also fail in the future if you run the truck hard. It seems if you do a regional haul or short haul with many starts and stops in a day, you're lucky to get 300,000 miles out of a turbo. The over the road group ranges in the 500,000 mile range between failures.

jfaulkner
03-07-2011, 08:03 AM
They currently have a great product, cant say the same for the old 12L stuff they did have major EGR issues.

I know of 2 medium sized fleets one was pure mack (200 trucks) and they dumped mack the last time because of cam issues. The same issue with another fleet but they were all Volvo with again cam issues. Some didn't make it 200k before they died. And Volvo with 2 EGR valves *bdh*

I like the looks of the new Titan but as long as Volvo has their fingers in the pie I fear quality will drop in the name of profit.

C111
03-08-2011, 09:08 PM
With these turbos it not if they self-destruct or fail its a matter of when.
Thats just an outright lie to increase sales.

Mr.T
03-12-2011, 11:20 PM
anywhere from 440k to 600k on our trucks, ALL ISX powered, only replaced 5 turbos out of a fleet of 16 trucks and they were on 5 seperate trucks.......

jfaulkner
03-13-2011, 10:17 AM
Thats just an outright lie to increase sales.
I have to disagree. I know of 2 trucks personally that have had at least one VGT die in under 400k each. I'm sure they have made updates to fix the reliability issues but anytime you increase the number of moving parts and sensors your going to have more issues. Especially in the harsh environment in and around a turbo. I think the odds of seeing an ISX with say ~600k miles with the original turbo are the same as seeing bigfoot. There are plenty of high mileage/original turbo trucks running around, none of them are VGT's.

Mr.T
03-13-2011, 03:02 PM
we have a truck with 550k that has the original VGT.....and 3 more not far behind that. all are 07 pre emission trucks

C111
03-13-2011, 06:10 PM
I have to disagree. I know of 2 trucks personally that have had at least one VGT die in under 400k each.
And there are dozens of thousands more on the road without problems.

I'm sure they have made updates to fix the reliability issues but anytime you increase the number of moving parts and sensors your going to have more issues.
The VGT design adds only 3 moving parts to the turbo. Compare that to 15+ with Garrett's design.

Especially in the harsh environment in and around a turbo. I think the odds of seeing an ISX with say ~600k miles with the original turbo are the same as seeing bigfoot. Not even remotely.

There are plenty of high mileage/original turbo trucks running around, none of them are VGT's.
Flat out wrong.

all are 07 pre emission trucks
Thats funny. Anything made after 2002 is an "emissions engine".

Mr.T
03-13-2011, 06:15 PM
Thats funny. Anything made after 2002 is an "emissions engine".

by pre-emission i meant no DPF...guess i should have clarified

jfaulkner
03-14-2011, 06:23 PM
And there are dozens of thousands more on the road without problems.
That's GREAT! Unless your one of the many with a $4k bill to replace a turbo.

The VGT design adds only 3 moving parts to the turbo. Compare that to 15+ with Garrett's design.
So.......the Holset VGT is the lesser of the 2 evils? Ok, I'll give you that but it's still not as reliable as a normal charger.

Look, if your a designer or a parts changer (dealer mechanic) all this junk is great. Now if your the guy trying to make money with these engines your tune changes. If one of our trucks is down the potential loss of revenue is ~$6k each per week. So it doesn't matter if it's a part failure or something as stupid as a check engine light due to a sensor, they all add up to loss of productivity and more downtime. Don't even try and convince anyone that these newer engines are as reliable as their older counterparts. There's a reason and a market to eliminate all problematic parts, the VGT just happens to be one of them. When your the one signing the check, you decide what's worth it and what's not. Due to lack of options the next truck I order will probably have an ISX, it will be stripped of all EPA junk. I'll gladly trade a warranty for reliability.:pop:

Backhoe man
03-15-2011, 08:52 PM
Are you two brothers or just the same person using two user names, there can't be two people that will argue that hard for a POS VGT turbo. It is funny that motors with a VGT from an ISX to an ISB and everything in between have more problems than motors with a non VGT turbo I know it is definitely the emissions systems that cause the turbos to fail anything but the turbo *bdh*. I wonder why cummins kept the ISC as a straight turbo for as long as they possibly could using the emissions credits they had earned over the years.

1-5-3-6-2-4
03-16-2011, 12:12 AM
so is the C111 guy banned because of this thread? I'm not gonna argue any of it, all this wizzy... EPA.... too many moving parts junk...... keeps me deep in WORK :clap:

jfaulkner
03-16-2011, 12:26 AM
Thats why most companies require drivers to keep a maintenance account, no matter the make/engine.
Wow, that's hilarious. "We know your EPA engine is a POS so rather than fix the problem you should just put extra money aside to cover the added expenses to fix it and cover downtime.":clap:Good call man, you must be the owner of a LARGE fleet of trucks because a maintenance account is a totally new concept to the rest of us.:lolly:

Actually it is. Nearly all the problems are related to the EGR and DPF.

So instead of living with great torque response and saving $4000 for a "maybe" repair someday, its better to spend that $4000 now on ECM programming, an exhaust manifold and new turbo to replace the perfectly good one already installed just because you're afraid of the new technology? :1tooth:

Right, because closed-minded people, such as yourself, can't be convinced of anything that differs from their beliefs.
Sorry for expecting a product I buy to be reliable, what was I thinking. Just talked to a guy yesterday, he was driving a new truck because his previous company issued tractor ('07 Columbia with an ISX) was broke down for 11 combined months out of the 3 years he drove it. First charger lasted 35k miles. :woohoo:

An extremely small one since eliminating the EGR and VGT turbo is actually illegal in all 50 states. Buy hey, whats the risk of a $5000 fine, you've already spent $4000 replacing a perfectly good turbo!
OH NO!!!!! Say it ain't so!!! Next I suppose your going to tell me all the stuff I've done to my pickup is also illegal.LOL

If I was to pickup a brand spanking new truck today, how much should I put in my "maintenance account" to cover the downtime? We currently have 5 trucks running daily, several hauling specialized freight that pays $5.00+ per mile. So assuming 1 truck can gross $6k per week I would have to have $20,000 per truck saved just to cover the payment, maintenance costs and lost revenue since a rental truck is going to be out of the question. I know I should just buy an extra truck at $140k that way I can be totally prepared. LOL

jfaulkner
03-16-2011, 12:30 AM
so is the C111 guy banned because of this thread? I'm not gonna argue any of it, all this wizzy... EPA.... too many moving parts junk...... keeps me deep in WORK :clap:
The only people who actually believe all this junk is great NEVER have any money invested in it. I'm not even blaming Cummins, none of the other brands are any better. But to say they're not problematic your either completely stupid or just totally out of the loop. When your the one signing the checks, your tune changes quickly.

Signature600
03-16-2011, 08:18 AM
But is your pickup a primary source of income that you're willing to let get red tagged at a POE?

POE? Point of entry?

Chris

jfaulkner
03-16-2011, 04:03 PM
But is your pickup a primary source of income that you're willing to let get red tagged at a POE?
I don't cross any borders, I don't and won't go to any ports and I don't go to Cali so I'm not worried about it.

1-5-3-6-2-4
03-17-2011, 12:33 AM
The only people who actually believe all this junk is great NEVER have any money invested in it. I'm not even blaming Cummins, none of the other brands are any better. But to say they're not problematic your either completely stupid or just totally out of the loop. When your the one signing the checks, your tune changes quickly.

You don't understand. I'm a HD Mechanic. Instead of being Capt. TriggerHappy, re-read my statement with that in mind.

You'll get it.

BobbyR
03-17-2011, 05:24 PM
I just had an Acert cat reflashed to 725hp and asked about an ISX since I can't order a new cat and that's what he told me.

Glider kit! Go through that Acert and plant it in a new glider. Is the special ordering window for the Cat still open or has it closed? Clint at KC Pete was telling me about this back a few months ago when I was talking glider kits. I think it was something about paying the extra for the EPA charges for the engine not meeting emissions.[/QUOTE]

Pittsburgh Power can rebuild that Cat with teflon coated pistons they have glider kits too call them if you got the money to spend they can upgrade your turbo, exhaust manifold, muffler, damper, Fass fuel, high flow injectors, reprogram your ecm or install the powerbox.

PDI has some good stuff for cummins they can delete the egr from the ecm plus tune and they sell a kit for 300.00 to plug up everything after you remove the egr and cooler from your truck. The ecm tune with egr delete runs 2450 at their place in either Pa or utah. they also have an intake kit to bring more fresh air into that isx good for 15-20 horses. I have an isx 450 I'm happy with it so far but the oil does get filthy quick like the day after an oil change not like in the cats. Good power though. It should be even better after a few mods like the ones I mentioned. I'm gonna get the high flow stack muffler supposedly good for up to 50 horses and half a gear on the hills also reduces soot build up clearly an isx needs something like this. Gonna try that turbo 3000D too see if it cleans up some carbon deposits. I want to take care of my new baby. That dirty oil can't be good for the rings and the soot clogs up the turbos supposedly. My truck actually failed emmisions the other day has to be something with the egr.

jfaulkner
03-17-2011, 08:01 PM
You don't understand. I'm a HD Mechanic. Instead of being Capt. TriggerHappy, re-read my statement with that in mind.

You'll get it.
Oh no I get it. From a mechanics point of view the new engines are the gift that keeps on giving. Not so much for the guy on the other end. It's just sad that if you buy a new truck you almost have to keep your old one to drive when the new one takes it's monthly crap.

When I was getting my truck flashed I made sure to find out which engines could be fixed. Nice to know that ALL of the 3 major EPA engines could have the junk removed for about what your average yearly parts costs would be if you were to leave it stock.

jfaulkner
03-17-2011, 08:07 PM

PDI has some good stuff for cummins they can delete the egr from the ecm plus tune and they sell a kit for 300.00 to plug up everything after you remove the egr and cooler from your truck. The ecm tune with egr delete runs 2450 at their place in either Pa or utah. they also have an intake kit to bring more fresh air into that isx good for 15-20 horses. I have an isx 450 I'm happy with it so far but the oil does get filthy quick like the day after an oil change not like in the cats. Good power though. It should be even better after a few mods like the ones I mentioned. I'm gonna get the high flow stack muffler supposedly good for up to 50 horses and half a gear on the hills also reduces soot build up clearly an isx needs something like this. Gonna try that turbo 3000D too see if it cleans up some carbon deposits. I want to take care of my new baby. That dirty oil can't be good for the rings and the soot clogs up the turbos supposedly. My truck actually failed emmisions the other day has to be something with the egr.
1. Can't get a KW glider
2. Already have a PDI tune on an Acert and it's amazing!
3 Give me 1/2 the money you're going to spend in that worthless turbo3000d and I'll kick you in the nuts. You'll see the same improvement in performance but only spend 1/2 the money. It's a piece of pipe with some fins in it, there are thousands of guys who believed the hype. It's snake oil.
4. If you live where they do EPA tests your VERY limited on what you can do performance wise. My advise is move, your wallet and engine will thank you.

1-5-3-6-2-4
03-21-2011, 10:03 PM
So on that note and with impecible timing. my buddies old man asked me 2 days ago where he can get deletes for his '09 KW ISX. Where can they be had? Who kits them out? Is PDI the place to be?

revolutiondsl
04-07-2011, 08:15 PM
I would like to know also on the deletes myself. Our trucks at work are Stone Slingers and get ran hard every day and are out of warranty. They are getting tired of replacing EGR parts. Also does this help fuel mileage like on the pickups

jfaulkner
04-08-2011, 12:40 PM
PDI is one of several.

1-5-3-6-2-4
04-09-2011, 11:52 PM
PDI is one of several.

what are the others you'd recommend?

jfaulkner
04-10-2011, 08:13 AM
what are the others you'd recommend?
Well there's a guy here locally that have had several ISX's done by PDI with GREAT results so I can't say I would recommend any of the others without knowing anyone who has had it done. On the 2 the guy here has done he's went from MPG's in the 4 range to almost 6 with just the DPF/ EGR valve delete and the ECM reflash (still has the VGT's since they still work for now).

I think Full Tilt Performance does them.
A place called "diesel spec. inc" in Montreal
I think Boost Engineering also does them in Canada
PDI of course.

pete71
04-22-2011, 12:52 PM
i have a isx 2007, the egr valve is giving codes again. already change it 4 times. where can i go to delete the egr from the ecm? tired of having problems. and i dont want to unplug it. did it before, and check engine light comes on and didnt see big difference in power and fuel economy. wheres the best place to go to do it professionaly? im from ontario and do some north usa and new-brunswick...

pete71
07-05-2011, 10:18 PM
well just to let u know guys, i end up to a performance shop in Quebec called Dieselspec inc, and they got my egr valve fix with a reflash on my ecm. very satisfied. by the way, they also do detroit , caterpillar and mercedes engines...highly recommended

jfaulkner
07-06-2011, 06:25 AM
well just to let u know guys, i end up to a performance shop in Quebec called Dieselspec inc, and they got my egr valve fix with a reflash on my ecm. very satisfied. by the way, they also do detroit , caterpillar and mercedes engines...highly recommended
Did you dump the VGT also?

Snedge
07-06-2011, 06:54 AM
I've been having good luck with Bulldogs Big Rig programmers on the ISX.

jfaulkner
07-06-2011, 08:05 AM
Guy here just did the full PDI delete on an older EGR ISX. Went from the mid 3's on fuel mileage to 5.8mpg in the first week and almost runs like a stock Cat! The delete was around $8k which was only 2k more than what it was going to cost to replace all the parts with new OEM junk.

Things are looking up for those of us in the market for a new truck and were on the fence due to the lack of engine options.:rockwoot:

The ISX in the pics I posted earlier was just dyno'd at 701hp at the wheels with the full delete and a PDI stage 1 tune, owner couldn't be happier.

Mr.T
07-06-2011, 10:09 AM
Mid 3's!? Holy fuk, I get 4.8 with the 550isx in the 07 Pete I drive, and that's even pulling doubles and grossing 106k

sent from my cellular deevice using Tapatalk

jfaulkner
07-07-2011, 11:38 AM
Mid 3's!? Holy fuk, I get 4.8 with the 550isx in the 07 Pete I drive, and that's even pulling doubles and grossing 106k

Yes, it's been as low as in the 2's and the truck only has a 75gal tank. I think the truck is limited to like 65k gross so to say the least the owner couldn't be happier with the results.

Anyone know if there's any physical difference between the different HP levels of a new 2012 ISX? What I'm curious about if I decide to order a new truck what's the minimum HP you can get factory and still get the better stuff? (or physically they're all the same parts wise) Since I'm going to take everything off anyway and void the warranty in the first day I'm not paying KW and extra $1,000 or so to get the 600hp ISX if physically the 500 is the same. I know with my Acert the only difference between the 475 and the 625 was the compression ratio was 18:1 vs 18.5:1 (trivial) and the top charger was slightly different. All for emissions purposes so it wasn't worth the extra $4k at the time of purchase.

Snedge
07-07-2011, 11:46 AM
If you have the ability to eliminate emissions don't pay up for premium power.
In the high horse applications 500-600 the ISX engines share the same parts.
Of course, engine #'s / or CPL comparing the two would be best, but I do feel strongly that it's all the same performance parts.

Sancrest
09-15-2011, 04:15 PM
I have almost 700k on my ISX, 1 turbo that was just put on. All you have to do is unplug the EGR put a piece of tape over the check engine light and you're good to go. Never had another EGR issue since and fuel mileage went up slightly. This truck was running MO to CA almost every week.

Sancrest
09-15-2011, 04:16 PM
Oh yeah and 5.8 mpg average pulling a car hauler running west with a flat top Pete!

buster156
12-29-2011, 05:23 PM
Thought the compound turbos didn't come around till 04? I've got an 03 torn down in the shop right now with single charger.

It's a typo I'm sure
:Cheer: