PDA

View Full Version : driving a front limited slip

seriousdiesel
01-08-2011, 12:17 PM
Anyone drive on the street in 4wd with a limited slip in the front of a 2nd gen Dodge? I was going to put one in my truck because I hope to do a little sled pulling this summer and figured it would be the simplest and cheapest route to get all 4 wheels turning and still be able to drive in the winter. i also still have the vaccum actuator for the 4wd and plan on keeping it, at least till it breaks. Are these trucks still reasonably streetable in 4wd with a LSD in the front?

NickTF
01-08-2011, 12:33 PM
Anyone drive on the street in 4wd with a limited slip in the front of a 2nd gen Dodge? I was going to put one in my truck because I hope to do a little sled pulling this summer and figured it would be the simplest and cheapest route to get all 4 wheels turning and still be able to drive in the winter. i also still have the vaccum actuator for the 4wd and plan on keeping it, at least till it breaks. Are these trucks still reasonably streetable in 4wd with a LSD in the front?

I used to daily drive mine prior to work giving me a work truck with a powertrax lock right in the front (locker using stock carrier). It's more than streetable but I did notice a little but of extra load in 2wd given the lockright causes more drag (which i'd assume your limited slip will do the same). IMHO forgo the limited slip and put a lock right in front of it. I don't see you breaking it in a dana 60 and it's awesome for the added traction. A limited slip will not provide the same level of traction as a locker no argument possible.

inline
04-11-2011, 09:22 PM
or a full locker with unlocked hubs :evil
Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Dana 60 Hub removal and converison to Ford Knuckles - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board (http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=874442)

seriousdiesel
04-17-2011, 07:02 PM
I like the Powertrax Idea and one of those weren't out of the question, I just want to still plow snow if possible. I may just have to do the air locker, Im afraid the Powertrax will be too aggressive in 4wd while plowing. Maybe Ill just give it a try anyway. Thanks for the input and info.

Grason
10-11-2011, 02:17 PM
60's are strong but the can still break.

iker42
10-11-2011, 02:21 PM
60's are strong but the can still break.

http://cache.ohinternet.com/images/2/24/I_see_what_you_did_there_super.jpg