PDA

View Full Version : Matching Metallic Paint

Tobin
01-30-2011, 08:20 PM
Now that the drivers side of my bed has a nice crease down the whole side of the bed due to a dumb drunk angry chick, what are the chances that a body shop will be able to match the metallic grey paint to the rest of the truck? Will it stand out like a sore thumb to try and match 4+ year old paint?

Tobin

PRINCETON_JAKE
01-30-2011, 08:31 PM
I work at a store and make automotive and custom paint, so i can tell you WILL be able to get it matched PERFECT. Basically go to any decent body shop or paint suplier with your truck (clean) tell them the year and paint code (or they can look) im not sure on that new of a dodge, but it is probably on the radiator core support. They will have "varient" paint chip decks to compare to the paint on your truck. Pewters and silvers usually have the most varients to compare, IF theres none that are close, you can have the paint scaned, I have a camera by PPG called a "prophet" that makes up a formula just by taking acouple pictures. Also depending on if the whole panel is being replaced/painted or just an area, you will more then likely have to blend the paint. but if everthings done right, no one will be able to tel, even you.

Tobin
01-30-2011, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the info, that is more comforting to know. So I should ask the body shops if they have the "prophet" and can paint in the variant colors? What else should I ask the body shops? The last thing I want them to do is to just take the paint code and go at it without taking in account fade and all the other variables.

Tobin

PRINCETON_JAKE
01-30-2011, 09:24 PM
You SHOULDNT need to tell them, they should know what to do, after all thats there job/buisness. I try to use the prophet as a last resort. Look at the varient paint chips first, 99% of the time there will be a perfect one. The thing about the prophet is you dont have any thing to look at. you basicaly have to mix the paint it sugests paint it, blend from there if needed. But like i said, if everythings done right, you'll never know it was worked on.