PDA

View Full Version : Paint????

6.0kingranch
01-31-2011, 02:58 PM
I am wanting to paint my truck and going to try to do it myself. I am sure that I am going to use a single stage paint. Now my question is what is difference between acrylic and enamel single stage paints. The truc is used mostly for work and is by no means a show truck but I would rather have it all one color with no rust. It's a 95 ext. cab dually so how much paint will it take. I know the most important thing is prep work so I know that might take the longest.

johnstontruckin
01-31-2011, 03:13 PM
I am wanting to paint my truck and going to try to do it myself. I am sure that I am going to use a single stage paint. Now my question is what is difference between acrylic and enamel single stage paints. The truc is used mostly for work and is by no means a show truck but I would rather have it all one color with no rust. It's a 95 ext. cab dually so how much paint will it take. I know the most important thing is prep work so I know that might take the longest.

im in the process of getting my truck painted right now and im using a base coat clear coat... its a 1 to 1 on the paint.. and i had 1 gallon of paint so technically after the mix i had 2 gallon of sprayable material and my truck is an extended cab long bed.. so i would think that 2 gallon should be enough for ya

johnstontruckin
01-31-2011, 03:15 PM
are you going to do jams and under the hood?

L6powered
01-31-2011, 06:34 PM
How much is on your budget?

PRINCETON_JAKE
01-31-2011, 06:53 PM
I work for a auto body and paint supply store, so i can help you and save you from costly mistakes. First thing i need to know is what color your truck is NOW, what color you want to paint it, are you doing a complete (including door jams, under hood, inner wheel wells, inside bed, ect)

Acrylic can be either enamel or urethane.

6.0kingranch
02-02-2011, 11:18 AM
The truck is white and I am going to keep the same color. I will not be painting any of the areas you mentioned above. The trucks main use is for work so it doesn't need to look great just decent.

PRINCETON_JAKE
02-02-2011, 12:01 PM
So you are painting the whole exterior? White is one of the easist colors to paint, since it doesnt show defects as bad as metalics or dark colors. I would recomend using a single stage acrylic urethane. I dont know what your going to use for brand names, but i use PPG and OMNI (ppg's cheaper brand) being a simple plain white i would recomend the OMNI, there urethane is 4 to 1 with catylist, and reducer IF needed. Its a reasonable priced and a very good paint for the money. ($112 a gallon, $47 quart of reducer)

jaybuller
02-02-2011, 12:21 PM
i just did my 97 dodge with the eastwood brand single stage urethane enamel, i used the eastwood epoxy primer/sealer for the primer. i took mine down to bare metel then started with 4 coats of primer and 4 coats of the white. i only used one gallon but i dont have a bed to paint so it would take 2 gallons.