New to tractor pulling

All IH

New to tractor pulling and first post here at competition diesel

Bought a 1466 and planning to pull. We started with the TA. Installed a HY-CAP puller TA. Currrently have the engine torn down. Installing a 466 crank, haveing cyl head and cam work done currrently. Plan to turn 3500RPM, will probebly have the head ported after reading some previous posts.
Dont know what to do about the turbo? you guys talk about a 3LM?? not sure,

Want to pull in farm stock if we can. tractor came with A model inline pump, will send pump and injectors out to have bench tested,

What do you guys reccomend?

Please Help!*bdh*

Last edited:
most farm stock classes require a 3LM, and a lot have a 3000 RPM limit, not sure on your rules though

is this going to be a dedicated puller? if so cut any weight you can and have fun

Dedicated puller

most farm stock classes require a 3LM, and a lot have a 3000 RPM limit, not sure on your rules though

is this going to be a dedicated puller? if so cut any weight you can and have fun

Yes!
This is a dedicated puller, we already have the PTO pulled. but its my understanding that we must have a stock appearing tractor, working 3PT hitch and hydralics,
I was able to find some differences between a 3LM and an aireaserch T04b25
Stock turbo3LM approx 23 psi boost with 1175 exhaust temp @ 244HP
Stock To4B25 approx 19 psi boost 1230 exhaust temp @ 235HP

This was some data I found out through HY-Capicity out of Humbolt Iowa.
Turbo was tested on an IH 466 engine.

Thanks for the reply

I dont think we are allowed to alter the intake horn on the OEM intake manifold.

My thoughts are that we would have to increase the size of the cross over horn, I could be wrong???

It's farmstock tractor pulling... there is a big difference between what you are allowed to do and what you can do.

You figured the 2 limitations to the 466, the intake horn and the charger itself. Think the intake horn is 1.9 or something like that which creates your bottleneck and to pull stock you usually need to leave it. The 466 will still ran Dang good but there isn't much use getting carried away with much else because the two bottlenecks mentioned above. I guess what I am trying to say is don't waste any money on much else (except investors) until u go to a different class. Hope that helps just my .02:Cheer:

rules

You got it, just have to find out what the rules allow you to do in your area, actually let me rephrase that, you have to find out what is "NOT" in the rules so you know what your limitations are, good luck and keep us updated

Back