PDA

View Full Version : 94 fuel problem

ninjaturtle
02-08-2011, 02:44 PM
ok guys, i have a 1994 7.3 idi turbo diesel f250 with 256k. it has a fuel problem.. ive had the truck a few weeks and ive drive it 2 times in the same direction and the same thing happens.. ill drive 10 miles from my house to work and it shuts off and wont start back up. its happend twice with me so the first time i had a roll back pick it up and bring it home and ive installed a new/remanufacttured injection pump, new mechinical fuel pump, injectors seals and o-rings, and all the return lines to the injection pump. a friend told me the tank may not be venting and causing a fuel starve. let me know what you think, thanks Ethan.

oldestof11
02-08-2011, 04:10 PM
When it happens, go to which ever fuel tank you are drawing from and open the gas cap. If you hear hissing or any sort of vacuum, get a new cap.

JJeepyjohn
02-08-2011, 10:22 PM
Does it do it with a full tank?

ninjaturtle
02-08-2011, 10:25 PM
ive got new fuel caps havent had time to mess with it the past few days ill try that when i get home and jjeepyjohn i have bypassed the tanks and ran a line from a fuel can to fuel pump and had no prob out of it

JJeepyjohn
02-08-2011, 10:29 PM
The pick-ups in the tanks were known to break and would suck air when it got around 1/4 tank of fuel.Once the IDI's suck a little air your SOL..
Its an easy fix but the bad part is the pick-ups are about $170.- each..
Are you sure its a fuel problem?

ninjaturtle
02-08-2011, 10:32 PM
im pretty sure.. the guy i bought it from had it checked out and he said its a prob from the fuel pump back to the fuel tanks. so i have to do the process of elimination:/ hhahaha

jdc753
02-10-2011, 08:14 AM
injector o-rings and or return caps maybe? If so would be $45 for a return line kit with all the stuff, Untitled Document (http://www.mwfi.com/dieselPage/ford_73.htm)

I know a lot of guys would put a piece of clear plastic fuel line in the system to check and see if they are getting air

ninjaturtle
02-10-2011, 12:52 PM
its got all new injector o-ring, return lines return caps. im thinking the tanksare not venting, or the tank neck is broken off

rosefaj24
06-03-2011, 03:43 AM
if fuel is leaving the tank, there HAS to be air to take up the empty space.

I would bet that the gas cap (http://www.thepartsbin.com/autoparts/gas_cap.html) is bad.

hesutton
06-10-2011, 08:14 AM
Don't buy new senders. Pull them from the tanks and use a piece of 3/8 diameter fuel hose to replace the broken OEM pickup. Cut a few "V" notches in the bottom of the hose so it won't suck on the bottom of the tank. Many folks have done this (including myself) and have had years of trouble free driving/hauling.

Heath

Bullrack
06-10-2011, 08:33 PM
Does it do this on both tanks? As it starts to stumble switch tanks and it should pickup. It would be only with my luck that both tank vents were bad. Although now that I look back, you said it runs fine on an external fuel source? Like was mentioned before, when it does this just jump out and loosen the cap on the tank you're running on and it should relieve pressure if it's the vent. Aside from that, I would be looking into whether or not it has been run on bio-fuel before you got it. If it has, then it could be the seals and o-rings or even a heavy varnish on the tank walls that is now being washed off with ULSD and clogging your pickups up. Steven.