PDA

View Full Version : Dana 80 gear set-up help

jedeka
02-27-2011, 06:52 PM
I have the pinion depth set and moving on to the preload adjustment with the shims behind the outer pinion race. The shims that came with the Yukon bearing set look to be too small diameter. I would think the shim O.D. should be the same as the O.D. of the race. The I.D. of the shims seem too small. I set a few shims behind the race and had to leave the race just up from bottomed out so the shims could center themselves on the pinion gear, as I installed it into the housing. Can anyone shed some light on this subject? Thanks.

zstroken
02-27-2011, 06:55 PM
I have the pinion depth set and moving on to the preload adjustment with the shims behind the outer pinion race. The shims that came with the Yukon bearing set look to be too small diameter. I would think the shim O.D. should be the same as the O.D. of the race. The I.D. of the shims seem too small. I set a few shims behind the race and had to leave the race just up from bottomed out so the shims could center themselves on the pinion gear, as I installed it into the housing. Can anyone shed some light on this subject? Thanks.

Shims go between the carrier and the bearing.

jedeka
02-27-2011, 07:18 PM
I am setting up the pinion shaft preload.

smoke_4_me
02-27-2011, 07:45 PM
The shims go on the pinion after the outer race is installed not behind the race.

geared2death
02-27-2011, 07:52 PM
the preload shims are the smallest shims in the kit and go on the pinion below the splines under the outer bearing.