PDA

View Full Version : Super Stock Diesel 2012

wrongway
02-28-2011, 03:46 PM
I feel that the Inaugural Super Stock Diesel event we just had in Bradenton, FL. was a HUGE success! I want to go ahead and open a discussion about the 2012 Super Stock race. The original idea of this race was to move it to various location's throughout the country. From talking to racer's and fan's I have learned that they want to continue to hold the BIG in Bradenton, FL. in February. I currently don't have any plan's to change ANY rules, but would like some input for consideration. When you give your opinion's it would help me if you would tell me if you are a current competitor, vendor, sponsor, or even fans. Or if you will be a future vendor, competitor, sponsor and so on. Please keep them short and sweet and don't forget to let me know what part of diesel motorsports that you represent. Thank you all

THEFERMANATOR
02-28-2011, 03:54 PM
I'm only a spectator, but from what I seen I would like to see the rules change over to a standard 66MM turbo instead of teh high dollar clipped wheel ones being allowed. If your gonna have a super stock class, then try and make it so that the guy who can't afford the super high dollar billet turbo with the clipped wheel can still be competitive. This should also help to open teh category up to more racers as was said earlier there are alot of sled pullers in teh Bradenton area with regular 66MM chargers tah twanted to run but knew they wouldn't be able to be competitive against those with deep pockets who could afford the high dollar fancy turbos. Try and even it up some so you can increase the number of people who want to run in it. I REALLY enjoyed watching this race in my backyard, just thought that maybe it could be opened up to more entries is all.

Just my $.02 on it.

linden
02-28-2011, 03:57 PM
i live a little south of bradenton and came as a spectator. brought a buddy who is just an average car fan and my gf and they both said it was good time. the only thing i noticed is the buzz around town was redneck yacht club was having a big event that weekend and not many people knew about the event locally the only way i even heard about it was on the boards. i know of about 10 friends right off the bat that would have came if they knew earlier or were not going to redneck yacht club. i thought it was a great event just want publicized locally

97crewcab
02-28-2011, 04:20 PM
It will be easier to consider for next year. Living in an area where the strip is closed by October it would have been pretty difficult for us to put something together that we could feel confident in for this race that early in the year. There is zero opportunity for test and tune other than dyno and some street time in our climate.
I am glad it went well and I am sure it will continue to grow.

Acorn 616
02-28-2011, 04:23 PM
I'd like to see the weight moved up to 6600lbsLOL.........then I could keep my hood on.

You guys put a race on Gary, and I'll be there!

syrupdawg
02-28-2011, 05:08 PM
I loved this class and with more tuning time these trucks are going to get even quicker. I vote to keep it in FL at the same times as this past weekends event. LEAVE THE RULES ALONE SO THE CLASS CAN GROW

LOGANSTANFORTH
02-28-2011, 05:20 PM
I'm only a spectator, but from what I seen I would like to see the rules change over to a standard 66MM turbo instead of teh high dollar clipped wheel ones being allowed. If your gonna have a super stock class, then try and make it so that the guy who can't afford the super high dollar billet turbo with the clipped wheel can still be competitive. This should also help to open teh category up to more racers as was said earlier there are alot of sled pullers in teh Bradenton area with regular 66MM chargers tah twanted to run but knew they wouldn't be able to be competitive against those with deep pockets who could afford the high dollar fancy turbos. Try and even it up some so you can increase the number of people who want to run in it. I REALLY enjoyed watching this race in my backyard, just thought that maybe it could be opened up to more entries is all.

Just my $.02 on it.

This would be nice but whatever the case, I plan to now turn my truck into a drag truck...I got a drag strip here in Lakeland, then Bradenton and Orlando to run at and it isn't as hard on parts as sled pulling...

i live a little south of bradenton and came as a spectator. brought a buddy who is just an average car fan and my gf and they both said it was good time. the only thing i noticed is the buzz around town was redneck yacht club was having a big event that weekend and not many people knew about the event locally the only way i even heard about it was on the boards. i know of about 10 friends right off the bat that would have came if they knew earlier or were not going to redneck yacht club. i thought it was a great event just want publicized locally

I agree with this...

It will be easier to consider for next year. Living in an area where the strip is closed by October it would have been pretty difficult for us to put something together that we could feel confident in for this race that early in the year. There is zero opportunity for test and tune other than dyno and some street time in our climate.
I am glad it went well and I am sure it will continue to grow.

I think that is what hurt it for alot of the guys up north. That is why the EEP guys were thrashing on their 2wd, being from Ohio, the weather has been **** and even the roads are wet and nasty so you can't stage it on a open road somewhere...

95cummins12v
02-28-2011, 05:22 PM
hope it stays in bradenton the 25 minute drive was nice! haha next year itll double in size for sure.

Big Swole
02-28-2011, 05:38 PM
As for the turbos, I'm kinda leaning toward the reg. S300 style 66 spec turbo Idea.

Another thing I'm pretty passionate about towards keeping / making this more affordable and keeping it geared more towards the "avarage guy" , is NO Standalone controllers!

I think the sponsors / aftermarket guys that cater to the Stock ECM's should be the benefactors here.. I.E. Smarty, EFI Live, Bully Dog, PPE, Diablo Sport, etc.

The standalones are cool and are wonderful for the NOT so avarage guy thats really serious and into BIG money builds...

Aron just proved that with basic mods, you can go really quick and not spend huge amounts of money.

BlakeW
02-28-2011, 05:41 PM
As for the turbos, I'm kinda leaning toward the reg. S300 style 66 spec turbo Idea.

Another thing I'm pretty passionate about towards keeping / making this more affordable and keeping it geared more towards the "avarage guy" , is NO Standalone controllers!

X2, I'm also against allowing danco and lenco transmissions in. I don't see much of a point to allow them in the class for the "average guy". At a point it will turn into another pro street class.

imelmo
02-28-2011, 05:43 PM
You could allow Prochargers. LOL

Acorn 616
02-28-2011, 05:53 PM

I think the sponsors / aftermarket guys that cater to the Stock ECM's should be the benefactors here.. I.E. Smarty, EFI Live, Bully Dog, PPE, Diablo Sport, etc.

The standalones are cool and are wonderful for the NOT so avarage guy thats really serious and into BIG money builds...

Aron just proved that with basic mods, you can go really quick and not spend huge amounts of money.

What about standalone transmission controllers?:poke:

Tate
02-28-2011, 06:05 PM

I'd say leave programming category wide open. Stand-alones are becoming more affordable, and are going to become more popular. If you're gonna keep the 'big money' programming out for the average joe, then why not limit chargers to box stock chargers, no custom stuff there either.

Let sport progress, pick your turbo size, pick your min weight, and let the rest be decided by the guys building the trucks.

cnsmoke
02-28-2011, 06:08 PM
I agree with standard 66 turbo to make it a true race for the customer and average Joe like it started out to be originally... At that point it doesn't matter what trans you are running everyone is at a level field

GRotman
02-28-2011, 06:22 PM
Limiting to a true 66mm will not make the class more affordable. Due to the competitive nature of motorsports, people will begin using billet 66mm charges and then it will come down to who has the best wheel design. This r&d is not cheap, nor will those chargers be. The more limits you put on the class the more money it costs to be at the top.

My 2 cents....

slowgo
02-28-2011, 06:27 PM
We need to know it now if the rules are going to change for the class at TS and SDX or anyother place that plans to have the SS class. I say no Danco or Lenco it will put the average guy out of the race. Guys have already spent a lot of money on turbos to change.

We made it to the race and were only a tenth off of making the quick 16 and I only had a 64.

carfichris
02-28-2011, 06:34 PM
Keep it 2.6" it'll make the drag racers feel like sledpullers since they are normally left out of most 2.6" threads.

Double J
02-28-2011, 06:36 PM

I agree with the advertising/promotion aspect. The advertising will need to be pushed harder next time. I had some friends and family attend that live close by, only because I made them aware of it. Word of mouth (or internet) will only travel to those in our small circle. My brother got the impression it was a "by invite" only type of event due to the atmosphere. Apparently some of his friends were racing at that same track a week or two prior and knew nothing about the big race.

Other than that---the beer was cold and the food was hot!

LOGANSTANFORTH
02-28-2011, 07:00 PM
Weight break the chargers then...66's get less weight or 2.6 gets more weight...either way...

I got a question about the 6K pounds...Most of these trucks had alot of weight bolted onto them in the form of tractor weights...

How is this going to be resolved in the future?

SCHOOL BUS
02-28-2011, 07:03 PM
Maybe lower the entry fee to try and get more trucks?
Maybe add a pro street class or something?

Make it another outlaw race.

I had a blast at this race Gary! I'd love to see it keep going. Glad I can say I was there for the first one.

LOGANSTANFORTH
02-28-2011, 07:13 PM
Maybe lower the entry fee to try and get more trucks?
Maybe add a pro street class or something?

Make it another outlaw race.

I had a blast at this race Gary! I'd love to see it keep going. Glad I can say I was there for the first one.

I think the 500 per truck is good for just this race cause it gives everyone a reason to pack up and head south for a chance at the big money...Now for like TS, SDX and others, no, cause that can get expensive quickly, if you got a good truck you can make alot of money, but it will get cut throat really quickly always running for that type of money...

Just like last week was Speedweeks here in Florida, everyone pays big money to win races, most normal races don't but most normal races don't have people coming from 49 states and most of Canada either...

05chevy
02-28-2011, 07:14 PM
I raced the gambler race. But I am deff considering entering the race next year. It was a great time and great group of guys. I think the competition was good but it all.came down to tuning IMHO. It was great marco was there to tune for the cr guys and I know rob was helping out the dmax guys. I'm ready for next years event

bobby

slowgo
02-28-2011, 07:22 PM
Well I guess it has been decided the Danco will be allowed at SDX and TSX so it will have to be allowed for this one too. we can't change the rules every race

Diesel Tech
02-28-2011, 07:27 PM
Whatever changes may or maynot be made need to keep this class for the little guys. Not saying this in a bad way at all but this is what will draw the trucks off the street and into racing because they feel they have a chance.

I think you could drop the payout and entry fee by 1/2 to $250 entry fee and $25,000 total payout for 100 trucks you could get a lot more trucks to show. The idea of the limit to an off the shelf turbo would probably help as well. You could limit it to a claimer type deal on the turbo with a limit so that at the end of the race the turbo could be claimed by a competitor for like $2000

SCHOOL BUS
02-28-2011, 07:54 PM
i had that same idea. anyone can buy anyones turbo for like 1700 bucks at the end of the race. people could still run what they want but if someone else wants to buy it they can.

Big Swole
02-28-2011, 07:56 PM
Well I guess it has been decided the Danco will be allowed at SDX and TSX so it will have to be allowed for this one too. we can't change the rules every race

Not So Sam!

The rule about the tranny will not change for the Feb. 2012 Jeff/Gary race....

Not sure why others have changed it for their race but it will not be in this one...

More than likely, the weight will be up'd to 6500 and everything else stays the same...

slowgo
02-28-2011, 08:04 PM
I hope not swole..If SS is a class then it should not change from race to race..pro street don't so why would this

Big Swole
02-28-2011, 08:12 PM
I hope not swole..If SS is a class then it should not change from race to race..pro street don't so why would this

I think the racers and potential racers need to let this feeling be heard by the other race promoters now..!

I don't think changing the Super Stock class for each race is a smart thing to do...

Jeff / Gary came up with this... I think the respect for their accomplishment and rules should be given and upheld..

Just my .02

THEFERMANATOR
02-28-2011, 08:14 PM

I think you will find that with EFILIVE that the advantage of a standalone controller will not be like it once was. With EFILIVE you can change and manipulate the factory programming to do just about everything that a standalone could do, so this will pretty much take away most of that advantage.

LOGANSTANFORTH
02-28-2011, 08:15 PM
I think the racers and potential racers need to let this feeling be heard by the other race promoters now..!

I don't think changing the Super Stock class for each race is a smart thing to do...

Jeff / Gary came up with this... I think the respect for their accomplishment and rules should be given and upheld..

Just my .02

Pretty much...

slowgo
02-28-2011, 08:17 PM
go look at this I dont do the link thing someone can help out with that

Confirmed by TS Performance

BlakeW
02-28-2011, 08:21 PM
go look at this I dont do the link thing someone can help out with that

Confirmed by TS Performance

Confirmed by TS Performance - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106832)

Post #16 mentions the danco. I think its a terrible idea to allow it for the class personally.

SmokeShow
02-28-2011, 08:38 PM
I'm barely even a spectator (didn't make it to this one even, just followed it daily on here) but I was thinking earlier...

How fast can a stock charger truck go with n2o? I think Buck went about as fast as these guys with a stock charger setup and a metric **** ton of squeeze. How would you all feel about allowing a stock charger truck to enter and use spray? The stock charger would have to be purely stock, no modified stock chargers IMO. I don't know a lot about n20 or racing but thought this might open up an avenue for some others to get in on this race as well as add an avenue for some other sponsors to get involved like NX who seems to really be wanting to get more involved. ;)

Just a brain storm. Chew on it and let me know if I'm a babbling idiot that needs to just go back to keeping up with the sled pulling or might be something worth at least considering? I know the "clean burn" of allowing nitrous is appealing to some potential outside sponsors and tracks and such.

Whomever mentioned to keep it for the small guy is delusional IMO. The more you try via stricter rules, the more expense you add. Look at all the whining in the pulling threads about keeping it for the small guy. It's just not possible, period. The beginners or people who can't afford it can still be involved by bracket racing. I wish there was a way besides WS pulling for less expensive pulling with more mods but it's not feasible to run brackets for pulling. LOL

LOGANSTANFORTH
02-28-2011, 08:45 PM
I'm barely even a spectator (didn't make it to this one even, just followed it daily on here) but I was thinking earlier...

How fast can a stock charger truck go with n2o? I think Buck went about as fast as these guys with a stock charger setup and a metric **** ton of squeeze. How would you all feel about allowing a stock charger truck to enter and use spray? The stock charger would have to be purely stock, no modified stock chargers IMO. I don't know a lot about n20 or racing but thought this might open up an avenue for some others to get in on this race as well as add an avenue for some other sponsors to get involved like NX who seems to really be wanting to get more involved. ;)

Just a brain storm. Chew on it and let me know if I'm a babbling idiot that needs to just go back to keeping up with the sled pulling or might be something worth at least considering? I know the "clean burn" of allowing nitrous is appealing to some potential outside sponsors and tracks and such.

Whomever mentioned to keep it for the small guy is delusional IMO. The more you try via stricter rules, the more expense you add. Look at all the whining in the pulling threads about keeping it for the small guy. It's just not possible, period.

I was actually surprised at how clean some of these trucks were actually running...

joefarmer
02-28-2011, 08:56 PM
My only vote was to have the promoter show up at the event with a trailer full of box-stock s465's without exhaust housings. The competitors show up with an exhaust housing and nothing else.

Pay the $500 entry, receive CHRA and compressor housing. Race.

Receive $250 back for each core returned undamaged after the after-race tech.

Oh, and keep the weight limit the same or lower. It was nice only seeing 4 transmissions dropped on the ground this weekend. Weight is a factor, the lower it is, the lower the maintenance costs.

JasonCzerak
02-28-2011, 09:14 PM
The average joe's truck is not 6000#s missing a hood and bumper with zero interior. Thats a fact.

I'd like to race, but I'd have to buy a rare smaller truck or make mine useless. (not that it does anything anyways).

The average Joe class should be kept DOT legal while on the trackl IMHO.

LOGANSTANFORTH
02-28-2011, 09:21 PM
My only vote was to have the promoter show up at the event with a trailer full of box-stock s465's without exhaust housings. The competitors show up with an exhaust housing and nothing else.

Oh, and keep the weight limit the same or lower. It was nice only seeing 4 transmissions dropped on the ground this weekend. Weight is a factor, the lower it is, the lower the maintenance costs.

Some were from no being able to test and needing "adjustments" to make the trucks run right...

turbom700
02-28-2011, 09:34 PM

I thought this too make it like NASCAR show up get your tires and fuel except in this case get your turbo. The only issue I see with this is testing and the vendor supplying the turbos is going to have a lot of $$$$ in turbos.

I like the idea of this style race makes me want to finish my drag truck and follow the SS rules. The biggest then that will hurt the SS class is change the rules with different locations. If you want the average joe to be able to do this then you need to get rules and stick to them. That way people can make budgets and plan for turbo purchase and other things need to compete.

Just my 2 cents.

Mike

Joesixpack
02-28-2011, 09:49 PM
6500 lbs would include SO many more trucks. How many trucks showed up that you could say would really be really competitive? 6? Float the rule's on the forums, I'd bet a bag of marbles 6500 would be at the top of the curve. Something's wrong with your trans builder if you can't hang onto a 66 at that weight. Kinda surprising who was dropping tran's....

Stand alones....of course because I have one damnit. Would they have an edge absolutely. Swole you are not my friend anymore....LOL

Turbo rule's fine by me, yet that Scheid truck I have a feeling by how it was spooling was spinning a honking turbine.

Fever induced babbling for tonight. Tomorrow I bear no responsibility.

97crewcab
02-28-2011, 10:00 PM
For anyone with a 2wd 6500 is pretty heavy.
Our truck is barely 5000 as it sits now and it could easily be a daily driver. I thought 6000 was plenty.
My $.02 now set the rules as you may and if I get the opportunity to run at an event I will gladly hang some weight out back.

Big Swole
02-28-2011, 10:05 PM
6500 lbs would include SO many more trucks. How many trucks showed up that you could say would really be really competitive? 6? Float the rule's on the forums, I'd bet a bag of marbles 6500 would be at the top of the curve. Something's wrong with your trans builder if you can't hang onto a 66 at that weight. Kinda surprising who was dropping tran's....

Stand alones....of course because I have one damnit. Would they have an edge absolutely. Swole you are not my friend anymore....LOL

Turbo rule's fine by me, yet that Scheid truck I have a feeling by how it was spooling was spinning a honking turbine.

Fever induced babbling for tonight. Tomorrow I bear no responsibility.

LOL

I'm sorry Chris!
I just mean't that the standalones seemed to be more for the All Out kinda guy / trucks...

But if you really think about it, If you added the extra 400-500 lbs to the Scheid truck that Aron and others were packing, Their truck would not have been running the times it was either!!

So maybe the standalones aren't worth worrying about for this Class... As long as the turbo's are so close and the rules stay in tact, It'll be Great Racing!

Yes Chris, at 6500 lbs. this class would sever so many more trucks / folks...
I think this is what you'll see for next years race weight limit...

JasonCzerak
02-28-2011, 10:12 PM
Maybe it's a minnesota thing... I never see regcab 2wd's 2500/3500 even in gasser trim. that puts most at 7000 with some minor creative weight loss.

meh 6500 is possible with alot of work. i'd bet you'd have 100+ trucks if you go with 7000# and 2.6. I'd pull the air horns and stereo off for that :)

SHughes
02-28-2011, 10:29 PM
My 2wd QCSB is 6300+ race weight, with the fiberglass tonneau (might weight 300 itself) and full interior.

6500 would be easy to make after adding a roll cage. I can see a RCLB having issues putting on weight, but you can put it where ever you want.

Guess the twins may have to come off!!!!

Ether Man
02-28-2011, 10:47 PM
LOL

But if you really think about it, If you added the extra 400-500 lbs to the Scheid truck that Aron and others were packing, Their truck would not have been running the times it was either!!

Maybe.......Maybe not....... i can tell you it didn't turn the times that it had been turning!:stab:

rockjeep73
02-28-2011, 11:10 PM
IMO if the turbo rule gets changed at all it should be to allow any turbo with a 2.6" inlet, including bushings. This would open up the class the most to other races who have a charger that is currently too large by simply being able to add a bushing and being able to compete. Either way you look at it, everyone will still be drawing air through the same 2.6" inlet, I think this will also lower the cost of a competitive charger. A lot cheaper and easier to have a bushing built than a custom clipped wheel charger, tech would also be cut and dry.

Other than the turbo rule I think all the others are good the way they are.

LOGANSTANFORTH
02-28-2011, 11:16 PM
Maybe it's a minnesota thing... I never see regcab 2wd's 2500/3500 even in gasser trim. that puts most at 7000 with some minor creative weight loss.

meh 6500 is possible with alot of work. i'd bet you'd have 100+ trucks if you go with 7000# and 2.6. I'd pull the air horns and stereo off for that :)

With an 1/8 of a tank of fuel and in regular every day driving trim my 1st gen regular cab long bed weights 5300 pounds with me in it and I weigh 360 pounds. 1 race seat, stripped interior, clean out the bed and 1/8 of a tank of fuel will make me run 1K pounds of ballast in the truck...I guess it will just have to be behind the rear tires to see if I can pull the front wheels :evil

LOGANSTANFORTH
02-28-2011, 11:17 PM
IMO if the turbo rule gets changed at all it should be to allow any turbo with a 2.6" inlet, including bushings. This would open up the class the most to other races who have a charger that is currently too large by simply being able to add a bushing and being able to compete. Either way you look at it, everyone will still be drawing air through the same 2.6" inlet, I think this will also lower the cost of a competitive charger. A lot cheaper and easier to have a bushing built than a custom clipped wheel charger, tech would also be cut and dry.

Other than the turbo rule I think all the others are good the way they are.

I just fell out of my chair laughing...

Michael
02-28-2011, 11:40 PM
I think the weight should stay at 6,000 lbs. There were plenty of trucks needing to add weight, and the lower weight does help reduce the carnage. The fact that a non-minimum weight truck won should tell us that it might not be as critical as one may think.

I honestly think that allowing Danco and Lenco transmissions does go against the "street" aspect of this class, as much as I would like to see us able to run DirtyMax in the class.

As far as the local advertising, last year's Phoenix and Portland events were heavily advertised, and brought in a TON of spectators. I'm sure there were a lot more issues to be concerned with this year with the first-ever of this type of event, but next year it would probably be good to do more advertising.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

Billysgoat
03-01-2011, 12:33 AM
I have to agree with Brandon on the spec turbo deal, that right there would make the class much more affordable. It would also make chassis setup and tuning the key. Weight rules, keep them the same, less weight=more passes. I also think the format that was adopted helped, run a round, run a round of bracket style and let the SS trucks cool. Insert your choice of other racing for the brackets.

JasonCzerak
03-01-2011, 03:40 AM
But, michael, do you see any gassers "average joes" disassembling their car at the track? Sure a 20 year old dodge weighed 2000# less, however a new dodge is 7300#. Fords are heavy too. I cringe at wondering what it would take to get my 2.6 qclb dodge remotly close to 6000.

Sure less carnage with less weight..... but nothing really broke during the 2010 race right?

Shambo
03-01-2011, 05:32 AM
Well to me 6000/6500 what ever they want. Turbo's I would like to see stock 66's, but it is kind of late for that. Time to adapt! Danco, Lenco transmissions are a bad idea!!! Let's keep it affordable if others can adopt the rule the more trucks can be built!

TMONEYDIESEL
03-01-2011, 06:07 AM
But, michael, do you see any gassers "average joes" disassembling their car at the track? Sure a 20 year old dodge weighed 2000# less, however a new dodge is 7300#. Fords are heavy too. I cringe at wondering what it would take to get my 2.6 qclb dodge remotly close to 6000.

Sure less carnage with less weight..... but nothing really broke during the 2010 race right?

With big $$$$$ on the line weight WILL be stripped no matter what vehicle or engine. Again this is not a "average joe" race. This is a class to BUILD a truck for, pick the correct baseline truck and go from there.

I think a 2.6 S400 frame style charger should be the turbo style to run, strong, fairly priced and it will give people better options for their setup.

syrupdawg
03-01-2011, 06:10 AM
Ill say it again if we want the class to grow the rules need to stay the same. Yall keep talking about the turbos and changing the rules for them, well what about the guys that have already invested in a turbo for this class? Do you really want the guys that are ALREADY running the class to have to go change their setup and buy another charger? Or do you want to change the rules for the people that MIGHT come into the class if they are changed? Im not really in favor of an aftermarket transmission but I will race the class regardless. As far a weight my truck is a regular cab 4x4 and without adding weight it was 5560 lbs and the only thing that was stripped was the carpet and that was to install the cage. I vote to leave the weight the same.

Jeff2
03-01-2011, 06:20 AM
Has anyone thought about how reliable a larger frame turbo is with the shafts being huge! I did'nt see one turbo explode on the track!

Stingpuller
03-01-2011, 06:39 AM
Leave the rules like they are. The turbo rules seemed to work and nobody broke a turbo. The weight worked as there was trucks with a lot of weight added. THIS OR ANY CLASS you are not going to take your daily driver and be at the front of the pack! You have to build for a class. Brackets is were a ANY truck can win with a good driver. Leave the rules alone and I really think this class will grow. You already have some very good trucks in this class and i'm sure more will follow. Jeff

TMONEYDIESEL
03-01-2011, 06:51 AM
Has anyone thought about how reliable a larger frame turbo is with the shafts being huge! I did'nt see one turbo explode on the track!

It's the only way to go right there!

Leave the rules like they are. The turbo rules seemed to work and nobody broke a turbo. The weight worked as there was trucks with a lot of weight added. THIS OR ANY CLASS you are not going to take your daily driver and be at the front of the pack! You have to build for a class. Brackets is were a ANY truck can win with a good driver. Leave the rules alone and I really think this class will grow. You already have some very good trucks in this class and i'm sure more will follow. Jeff

completely agree

triton
03-01-2011, 07:03 AM
10 sec trucks are definitely becoming more common but, this class isn't a lot different than PS which typically are in the 10's. What's making this class stand out from PS to where more are going to want to build for it ? Luck helps a lot to win a race but, the team with the largest pocket has the advantage every time. If you indexed SS say at 11, I would think it would be more competitive. Then you have
PS @ 10's
SS @ 11's
QD @ 12's

Acorn 616
03-01-2011, 07:24 AM
Impulse impulse impulse. I bet I had one of the cheapest turbos at the track when we showed up Thursday. Bullseye came by and asked if I wanted to try a different wheel they were working on.......I changed it on impulse. Before qualifying on Saturday, I pulled the tailgate and bed cover on........impulse. Went .1sec faster. After qualifying Bruce Block offered up his stainless compressor cover.......I changed that on impulse. No matter what I did Saturday or all weekend, I felt like I could do no wrong. I took a truck that had been to the track all last year and Ashley and I busted our a$$e$ when it got down to crunch time. The video was cool but now we need to get people in the seats. We need dramatic events that get people interested in good CLEAN fun.

2Tone12V
03-01-2011, 07:26 AM
Tweak the turbo rules. Bump it up to 6500 pounds. I don't think the point of the class is to get Pro Street trucks to drop down. Its to give the average Joe a place to compete and have fun. I see this class as an attempt to get everyone involved in the sport again rather than driving to the events and just watching. I think if you restrict the turbo a bit more. You will get the average Joe back to competing. Which is good for all of us. Then they see they can come close to beating so and so. Or even beat so and so. They catch the bug, start buying parts, manufactures are making money so they get more involved helping sponsor. Everyone wins!! AND we have big events where people are competing rather than watching. My opinion is if you fine tune the rules. There will be no 10 second trucks in the class. Which is the way it should be for the purpose of the class. Hats off to Seth and crew for great runs but that things with a few tweaks is running with the Pro street trucks. No real reason to have it playing around with the street trucks. Put it in Pro Street and make that class bigger and better.

syrupdawg
03-01-2011, 07:46 AM
Tweak the turbo rules. Bump it up to 6500 pounds. I don't think the point of the class is to get Pro Street trucks to drop down. Its to give the average Joe a place to compete and have fun. I see this class as an attempt to get everyone involved in the sport again rather than driving to the events and just watching. I think if you restrict the turbo a bit more. You will get the average Joe back to competing. Which is good for all of us. Then they see they can come close to beating so and so. Or even beat so and so. They catch the bug, start buying parts, manufactures are making money so they get more involved helping sponsor. Everyone wins!! AND we have big events where people are competing rather than watching. My opinion is if you fine tune the rules. There will be no 10 second trucks in the class. Which is the way it should be for the purpose of the class. Hats off to Seth and crew for great runs but that things with a few tweaks is running with the Pro street trucks. No real reason to have it playing around with the street trucks. Put it in Pro Street and make that class bigger and better.

Why do y'all say a 10 sec truck does not belong in this class? I met every rule with a street truck that I drive on the street all the time. Aron drives his truck all the time too and he run a few 10s

05chevy
03-01-2011, 07:54 AM
^agree I think if u meet all the rules and r able to run 10's like matt, aron, haisly, and scheid congrats to them. Great tuning on there part. Should not be penalized for a 10 second truck that meets every rule.

bobby

JasonCzerak
03-01-2011, 08:03 AM
With big $$$$$ on the line weight WILL be stripped no matter what vehicle or engine. Again this is not a "average joe" race. This is a class to BUILD a truck for, pick the correct baseline truck and go from there.

I think a 2.6 S400 frame style charger should be the turbo style to run, strong, fairly priced and it will give people better options for their setup.

It is what it is I suppose.

Ill say it again if we want the class to grow the rules need to stay the same. Yall keep talking about the turbos and changing the rules for them, well what about the guys that have already invested in a turbo for this class? Do you really want the guys that are ALREADY running the class to have to go change their setup and buy another charger? Or do you want to change the rules for the people that MIGHT come into the class if they are changed? Im not really in favor of an aftermarket transmission but I will race the class regardless. As far a weight my truck is a regular cab 4x4 and without adding weight it was 5560 lbs and the only thing that was stripped was the carpet and that was to install the cage. I vote to leave the weight the same.

Why do y'all say a 10 sec truck does not belong in this class? I met every rule with a street truck that I drive on the street all the time. Aron drives his truck all the time too and he run a few 10s

You keep forgetting that new trucks are not that light. No disrespect to Aron, but it's not remotely close to a 10 second truck if you need bolt on a bumper to keep the State Patrol from pulling you over...

My impression of a "street vehicle" is if you can drive it there, and run it down the track with out pulling out the tools. Taking a passenger along for the ride is a bonus.

That my main point about such a low weight of 6000#. Sure the 20 year old trucks are light, but the current models are far from light..

It comes down to spending money on some dedicated i suppose. :( Maybe in 2013 or 2014 a 7000# class in addition to the 6000# class could be considered... my my $0.000001's

smoke machine
03-01-2011, 08:06 AM
10 sec trucks are definitely becoming more common but, this class isn't a lot different than PS which typically are in the 10's. What's making this class stand out from PS to where more are going to want to build for it ? Luck helps a lot to win a race but, the team with the largest pocket has the advantage every time. If you indexed SS say at 11, I would think it would be more competitive. Then you have
PS @ 10's
SS @ 11's
QD @ 12's

idk if the deepest pockets one look at suncoasts truck. it never made a realy good pass and had hell all weekend

JasonCzerak
03-01-2011, 08:10 AM
idk if the deepest pockets one look at suncoasts truck. it never made a realy good pass and had hell all weekend

I think it was one of the best looking trucks too

2Tone12V
03-01-2011, 08:38 AM

I'm saying with changing the turbo rule a little bit and making the class 6500 lbs you won't be running 10's most likely. Not saying your truck doesn't belong at all.

2Tone12V
03-01-2011, 08:40 AM
^agree I think if u meet all the rules and r able to run 10's like matt, aron, haisly, and scheid congrats to them. Great tuning on there part. Should not be penalized for a 10 second truck that meets every rule.

bobby

Read my previous post dude. You guys are getting yourselves all fired up. Nobody said anyone wasn't legal blah blah blah. Chill out.

2Tone12V
03-01-2011, 08:41 AM

Suncoast needs to get some more rpm's in that truck BAD!!

Timbeaux
03-01-2011, 08:48 AM
Limiting to a true 66mm will not make the class more affordable. Due to the competitive nature of motorsports, people will begin using billet 66mm charges and then it will come down to who has the best wheel design. This r&d is not cheap, nor will those chargers be. The more limits you put on the class the more money it costs to be at the top.

My 2 cents....

What the hell do you know about this stuff anyway, Glenn? LOL

dieselbeef
03-01-2011, 08:56 AM
the race kicked ass..quit monday morning pedaling it

wideopen
03-01-2011, 09:02 AM
Personally I wouldn't change a thing about the Rules. Leave them be. It's a good Class.

Randall12v
03-01-2011, 09:04 AM

I say leave rules alone. Only way to attract more racers is keep rules same and not changing every year like pulling.

Snedge
03-01-2011, 09:12 AM
How many competitors complained about the rules ?

My vote would be to let things ride as they are. One of the nice things about racing, is that having a truck built for this class will not keep a guy from racing his truck in other venues.
Building a fast truck is one thing, build the fastest truck within a set of rules is a breeding ground for innovation.

SHughes
03-01-2011, 09:20 AM
If the rules go unchanged people can build and campaign a truck, then the sport grows as the vendors create better products to serve the growing number racers building trucks to fit the rules that remain in place...it's a vicious cycle.

Shambo
03-01-2011, 09:22 AM
keep em as they are something to work with

YOUNG GUNS15
03-01-2011, 09:28 AM
I think the rules should stay set for at least 5 more races, then do some tweaking and everyone that has built a 2.6 can modify a little, to meet the rules.

That being an internet spectators opinion...lol

Dockboy
03-01-2011, 09:30 AM
My impression of a "street vehicle" is if you can drive it there, and run it down the track with out pulling out the tools. Taking a passenger along for the ride is a bonus.

You sure have a hell of alot of opinions for someone who doesn't even race:what:

I don't understand this obsession the diesel community has with trying to create a HEADS UP class for the average daily driven truck? It is just not going to happen!! The spectrum of trucks is just too varied and besides, there are already 2 classes of racing for those types of vehicles...ET and QD.

Guess what people...

RACING COSTS MONEY!!!!!

If you don't want to "pull out the tools" at the track, then race ET or stay home and play an internet racer:stab:

I like the rules as they are. Although I am torn between leaving my truck in ProStreet or building the parts for a "quick change" to Super Stock

turbomatt1
03-01-2011, 09:36 AM
Not So Sam!

The rule about the tranny will not change for the Feb. 2012 Jeff/Gary race....

Not sure why others have changed it for their race but it will not be in this one...

More than likely, the weight will be up'd to 6500 and everything else stays the same...

IMHO, Danco's are for Pro Street trucks, period.

...& 6500 lbs would eliminate many of the 2x4 trucks. (likely all the 12v's)
I would not be excited about adding 1000lbs to my truck.

Weight break the chargers then...66's get less weight or 2.6 gets more weight...either way...

I like this idea. Perhaps if there is to be any change at all, A true 66mm truck could stay 6000lbs & the modded 2.6 class trucks go to 6500?

JasonCzerak
03-01-2011, 10:08 AM
You sure have a hell of alot of opinions for someone who doesn't even race:what:

How many trucks showed to race the big money race? We'll never know how many didn't even bother due to not having a chance due to weight. Ty's right, this is prostreet-level-speed.

I've stated before why I can't drive all over the country, even to donate $500 to the prize.

There's some serious work going on to build a local track here (with in 30 minutes!!!). I'll be racing regularly once again.

Acorn 616
03-01-2011, 10:27 AM

I don't understand this obsession the diesel community has with trying to create a HEADS UP class for the average daily driven truck? It is just not going to happen!! The spectrum of trucks is just too varied and besides, there are already 2 classes of racing for those types of vehicles...ET and QD.

Guess what people...

RACING COSTS MONEY!!!!!

If you don't want to "pull out the tools" at the track, then race ET or stay home and play an internet racer:stab:

I like the rules as they are. Although I am torn between leaving my truck in ProStreet or building the parts for a "quick change" to Super Stock

:clap::clap:x2. Don't forget how many times you try something and fail, then have to start over again:Cheer:

JasonCzerak
03-01-2011, 10:43 AM
:clap::clap:x2. Don't forget how many times you try something and fail, then have to start over again:Cheer:

That's not the point I'm try to make from an out side observer that would love to play but the numbers and money just doesn't add up to be worth it. Even if the race was right, fuking next, freaking with in 20 miles and I could push my broken truc home.

7000#, yeah, that might be difficult for a truck already at 5500#. 6500 is right in the middle. Newer trucks have to come down 1000, older trucks have to come up 1000.

That to me is worth it to take off the hair horns and stereo and the extra battery and what ever else can be trimmed down. I know there are a few more like my self that would give this idea a second thought and even travel a some what decent distance.

I can care less what the turbo rule is, that's easy to change to whatever the rules are.

Acorn 616
03-01-2011, 10:51 AM
Jason I don't know you, but I have done a good bit of reading on here. I would just like to carry this momentum into the next race and grow from there. I offered people parts off of my truck before I left, while I was there, and even still I'm willing to help any way I can. You have ideas and that's all they are. This was as close a group of guys as I have ever seen! We are better than all of this bickering that is about to begin, because it doesn't make 1 or 2 people happy. :Cheer:

Big Swole
03-01-2011, 10:51 AM
Looks like keeping them as it is seems to be popular.

I think the ones that showed up and raced are the ones thats should have their voice heard the most.

But with all that Aron had to do to get to barely 6350, i think maybe a 6250 or 6500 limit should be considered..

Btw.. Jeff Garmon's was 2x4 and it weighed almost 6400...

Chris Tobin
03-01-2011, 10:53 AM

Guess what people...

RACING COSTS MONEY!!!!!

I totally agree... I was only an internet spectator this round, but really love the concept and from EVERYTHING I have heard and EVERYONE I have talked to it was a huge success!!! Keep the rules the way they are... For the "Average Joe's" there is bracket racing! If someone wants a BIG MONEY race for Average Joe's then they need to host a Big Money bracket race... The SS class is a great format and with a few more races for people to run this year guys will be able to tune and get more passes on their current trucks and it will also give the guys that didn't finish their builds for this race time to finish them and get some passes on them before next year's Bradenton BIG MONEY race and maybe the field will be closer to the 100 trucks that they were looking for this year.

As for the advertising, remember that 100% of the entry went back toward the racer's purse so any advertising and promotion had to come out of pocket from Gary, Jeff and the track... Maybe next year they can get a title sponsor to come on board and that would cover the advertising and promotional costs... Also, for the locals that said not enough friend knew about it, why didn't you tell them??? Youy knew about it for many months and should have been spreading the word all along...

Anyway, a big CONGRATS go out to Aron and the Black's Diesel crew for a job well done and to Gary and Jeff for coming up with a cool race idea and executing it!!!!:Cheer:

Shambo
03-01-2011, 10:53 AM
I also think the Trucks should drive 20 miles to the beach and back to make sure they are streetable trucks! everything else is ok!

2Tone12V
03-01-2011, 10:56 AM
I just put my opinion in from my view. However its decided. AirDog will still be there to support the class and the racers.

Shambo
03-01-2011, 10:57 AM
Everyone was glad to have ya there! hope to see ya in Gainsville!

JasonCzerak
03-01-2011, 11:04 AM
Jason I don't know you, but I have done a good bit of reading on here. I would just like to carry this momentum into the next race and grow from there. I offered people parts off of my truck before I left, while I was there, and even still I'm willing to help any way I can. You have ideas and that's all they are. This was as close a group of guys as I have ever seen! We are better than all of this bickering that is about to begin, because it doesn't make 1 or 2 people happy. :Cheer:

I understand. This was a first event. and will leave this for folks to consider:

The problem with trucks, is it's not a car. :) Cars generally do not very 2000# from one option package to another. :) So finding an ideal middle group for a single class is something that needs to happen or you'll just have 20 trucks showing up to a race. The next race, will Bob/Marco be as generous? who knows.. When Gary and Jeff have to turn folks away....That's the holly grail right?

gunracer1
03-01-2011, 11:18 AM
this is a high end race, why would you try to accomodate every one. if i remember right nothing said it even had to be a truck. just diesel powered and 2.6 clipped turbo. why some folks would want to run a crew cab heavy truck for a race like this is beyond me. but it still worked.
and congrats to aron on the win and great job to all that put it together.

dieselbeef
03-01-2011, 11:22 AM
if you cannot make the wieght than you are penalizing yerself and thats part of the game...what does wrongways truck wiegh in race trim

ill bet the heavy guys have some ideas for next round..dontcha aaron

carpenca
03-01-2011, 11:39 AM

If you think that an 11.06 @ 124 after fixing the trans the night before is bad... You have to think about it this way, it's Ron's truck, he has the money and he had a blast. When he gets it dialed in and get's used to driving it then you'll see some mid 10 second passes I'm sure. Like I said Ron isn't a drag racer, but he sure is hooked now.

Also they built it to test their transmissions. What better way than to squeeze a trans between an engine that makes big power, and a chassis that puts it all to the ground.

To everyone else b!tching about the class rules, Jeff Dean said it best. Brackets are for street trucks. This class is for people that want to graduate from there. This class is like pro-street was 4 years ago. 10.50 is fast enough to keep the adrenaline up but not so crazy that you break every weekend.

Look at 2.6 sled pulling.. If you don't have 1000hp you aren't going to be at the top.

There is always going to be somebody spending crazy money to be the first in their class.

Brayden

bracker8040
03-01-2011, 11:47 AM
I support the growth of Diesel Motorsports in any positive fashion, and I am glad to see this event draw a sizeable field and crowd as compared to previous events. Yet I think there are some real issues that are being overlooked, and although I'm not trying to be negative, they should be a concern.

1. 38% paid entries of the desired amount.
2. 55% of the paid entries competed.
3. Purse reached 50% of desired payout due soley to a large donation from one sponsor.

Now, I would assume any promoter of any event of any type that had a result such as this would not consider it a huge success.

These debates are often seen in Sled Pulling, and the truth remains; you made the rules, now you must adhere to them. There will always be arguements to the fact that the rules could be better, it is a constant, but changing them every race won't gain you entries either.

S300 limit will not make the turbochargers any cheaper, increasing weight only adds to breakage, watching trucks break is less entertaining for the crowd. At some point it will be realized that to have a successful event the spectator count means the most, and the rules will reflect this by having an event that is competitive, exciting, and minimal mechanical failure. This class has the potential to get things moving in the right direction, but let's not get the cart in front of the horse.

Now that I'm sure I have offended most people, carry on.

dieselbeef
03-01-2011, 01:34 PM
um..lest we fergit...... it was the first race of its kind.....

imelmo
03-01-2011, 02:26 PM
I told Doug we'll put a 66 on mine and I'll just take off the Procharger belt for the race. :D

Lostnwalmart
03-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Hmm makes me want a 66 for my truck... I think the rules are good as is, minus maybe a 20 mile drive like some one else said before

bones
03-01-2011, 06:46 PM
id like for the rules to stay the same. i didnt make the race due to mechanical problems. my truck weighed weighed just over 6000lbs with me and a half tank of fuel.

rileydsking
03-01-2011, 07:15 PM
i'm voting for 6000lbs for future races.

Timebomb
03-01-2011, 07:35 PM
A structured payout instead of winner take all, if not allready mentioned. Leave the rest of the rules alone. People need to conform to the class, the class doesnt need to conform to them.

Marco
03-02-2011, 03:47 AM
Gang,
before I get into the usual catch-up game in the shop I'd like to throw my couple cents in here.

From my personal point of view.
First of all, where else can you get involved in setting the rules for your class. Us guys make the rules for us. That alone is in my opinion HUGH.

OK, now let me look at this as a sponsor.
What I really find interesting in this class is the fact that average Joe can build his truck for this class and compete. In other words, get new folks involved in racing their trucks. BUT to do this, the build should be doable at a somewhat reasonable price.

I would tighten up the rules a bit in order to allow "everyone" to compete and not being scared away from this class by the big dogs with hugh funds.
Nothing against the big dogs! They're doing great for the diesel sport! BUT average Joe just does not have the funds to compete with them. The big dogs have other opportunities / races / classes to push the limits.

I believe the SS class is a good thing if it can get more people involved in racing. Let's consider this for a moment as an "entry level" into racing.

With this being said I would:

1) Weight 6500. It's easier to add weight to the older trucks than having to cut the new trucks to get to 6000. Aaron's truck is the perfect example. Even without the hood 'n stuff he was still way heavier than the trucks he had to compete with....

2) Stock axel(s). Any internal mod to them is OK.

3) Stock transmission with a converter, any internal mods allowed. With "stock" meaning any transmission as found in any diesel truck truck of that brand. ( In poor words, a 48 into a 6.7L that had a 68 behind it is OK. )

4) Stock ECM's, no standalones.

5) No ECM tuning allowed during the quick 16 eliminations. Get it dialed in during the test sessions....

That should keep the $$$$ needed to compete in the class at reasonable level.

OPS, I forgot to mention...

6) Anybody who does not behave himself in the after hours is out. LOL

Just kidding here! Yet, I really enjoyed the very friendly feeling we all had during and after the race. The Diesel brotherhood at it's best!

Let me get this clear one more time. The above is just my personal idea.
It's just food for thought for the guys who will have the burden to take the final decision.

Whatever you guys will settle on I will keep supporting this race.

Thanks for listening!

Marco

Shambo
03-02-2011, 05:25 AM
Very good Marco! I think it is imperative that this remains a affordable class.

Big Swole
03-02-2011, 05:49 AM
Very good Marco! I think it is imperative that this remains a affordable class.

X 1000 !!!!

Other promoters, PLEASE reconsider allowing Non-Stock tranny's and other expensive options that will put this class out of reach of the beginning racer / budget racer!!

Let this class grow! Let this sport Grow!

Just my .02

dieselbeef
03-02-2011, 06:17 AM
this could end up like the fastest street car stuff did..when car craft brought the idea it was a 20 mi drive headlights oem parts etc....not theyre pro stockers with mtn mtrs and 100k to race one...jus sayin..

we dont want that..id love to build a truck to race this....hmmm..maybe ill sell some cattle

LOGANSTANFORTH
03-02-2011, 12:27 PM
Gang,
before I get into the usual catch-up game in the shop I'd like to throw my couple cents in here.

From my personal point of view.
First of all, where else can you get involved in setting the rules for your class. Us guys make the rules for us. That alone is in my opinion HUGH.

OK, now let me look at this as a sponsor.
What I really find interesting in this class is the fact that average Joe can build his truck for this class and compete. In other words, get new folks involved in racing their trucks. BUT to do this, the build should be doable at a somewhat reasonable price.

I would tighten up the rules a bit in order to allow "everyone" to compete and not being scared away from this class by the big dogs with hugh funds.
Nothing against the big dogs! They're doing great for the diesel sport! BUT average Joe just does not have the funds to compete with them. The big dogs have other opportunities / races / classes to push the limits.

I believe the SS class is a good thing if it can get more people involved in racing. Let's consider this for a moment as an "entry level" into racing.

With this being said I would:

1) Weight 6500. It's easier to add weight to the older trucks than having to cut the new trucks to get to 6000. Aaron's truck is the perfect example. Even without the hood 'n stuff he was still way heavier than the trucks he had to compete with....

2) Stock axel(s). Any internal mod to them is OK.

3) Stock transmission with a converter, any internal mods allowed. With "stock" meaning any transmission as found in any diesel truck truck of that brand. ( In poor words, a 48 into a 6.7L that had a 68 behind it is OK. )

4) Stock ECM's, no standalones.

5) No ECM tuning allowed during the quick 16 eliminations. Get it dialed in during the test sessions....

That should keep the $$$$ needed to compete in the class at reasonable level.

OPS, I forgot to mention...

6) Anybody who does not behave himself in the after hours is out. LOL

Just kidding here! Yet, I really enjoyed the very friendly feeling we all had during and after the race. The Diesel brotherhood at it's best!

Let me get this clear one more time. The above is just my personal idea.
It's just food for thought for the guys who will have the burden to take the final decision.

Whatever you guys will settle on I will keep supporting this race.

Thanks for listening!

Marco

I'm really glad you typed that cause I wouldn't of had a clue what you said if you was talking to me...And that would pretty much only let about 5 people race, and they would be the old guys LOL...

I agree with everything on what you said...What about narrowed rears and 9 inch ford rears or narrowed Dana 60's...

95cummins12v
03-02-2011, 04:27 PM
I think Marco pretty much said it all.

except i think what he meant to say was anybody that DOES behave themselves after hours is not aloud to race! :evil

Justin Price
03-02-2011, 04:28 PM
I am interested in possibly building a truck for this class one day and if it stays where it's at, as far as rules go, I feel that it would be cheap enough to get into (or at least as cheap as racing can be).

I like the idea of off the shelf 66's and stock appearing transmissions.

I also like the idea of trying to set the rules to try and keep breakage to a minimum so that people won't have to do rebuilds every other weekend.

JasonCzerak
03-02-2011, 06:44 PM
holly chit, did Marco say 6500#?!?!?

:)

on the transmission toptic, I don't think it's fair to force GM's to run only an allison. Allowing a 48re in a Ford should be acceptable for example.

Big Swole
03-02-2011, 06:58 PM
holly chit, did Marco say 6500#?!?!?

:)

on the transmission toptic, I don't think it's fair to force GM's to run only an allison. Allowing a 48re in a Ford should be acceptable for example.

Wanna put a 48 behind a Dmax, Go Head on..

Wanna put an Allison behind a Cummins, Go Head on..

OEM style that CAN be street driven / tow is the thing.

Lencos / Dancos / Jasoncos / Davidcos / Garycos / Jeffcos or any other kinda CO tranny is NOT for a street class like Super Stock..

Kman9090
03-02-2011, 07:02 PM
Yeah allowing an aftermarket transmission is dumb, this class will soon head the same direction as the sled pulling 2.6 class. Why not police it now while you can. Somebody comes up with a new class and a few weeks later someone else wants to ad their own personal rules. I think Garmon did an awesome job with this class! Almost makes me want to get into racing.

rileydsking
03-02-2011, 08:08 PM

even though i don't have a truck ready for this class yet,i don't think this rule would work out very good..in every form of dragracing you can tune between rounds..

unless there is no ecm tuning but p-pump tuning is ok:poke:

Diesel Tech
03-02-2011, 08:35 PM
Jeff and Gary had an idea, they put it together and put the rules in place that were pretty simple to follow. The idea was for a street driven vehicle to come out and compete. The turbo rule was picked as it was already in place for the sled pullers. Right or wrong it was a damn good start. If you want to keep the price down place a claimer rule on the turbocharger. How many people are going to put on a $6000 charger if someone can claim it for $xxxx? Set the claimer price equal to the cost of an off the shelf turbocharger. This has been done in racing for years to keep the high dollars out of certain classes. It keeps it fun and as inexpensive as you can do and still race. As for changing the class rules at another event, that's just dumb when there are already trucks built for the current rules.

What ever happens it's up to Jeff and Gary.

1JP
03-02-2011, 09:56 PM
Seemed to be a huge success, I'm not into the Drag Racing scene, but that was one good time. It worked, stop *itching, live with the rules or stay home. The problem is when rules are changed for the constant whining, trying to make everybody happy. You can't and that's life. Everybody thinks they're entitled to whatever they want. You want different rules, go make up your own race.

Somebody mentioned the Redneck Yacht Club. For you people from points north, there are no yachts, no lakes, no Gulf or Ocean. It's a mud bogging area. Down here when they have a mudding event, you'll lose half of your truck crowd, if not more. If the race didn't fall on a mudding event, there would have been a crap-ton more spectators.

Great job, good times already looking to next year!!!

Stingpuller
03-03-2011, 06:22 AM
First, I will run this class nomatter what the rules are. If we can run a danco can we also run a drop box? I really don't think a claimer rule will work. I have run classes with claimer rules and I will say now that if I can win 25K I will have the best stuff I can buy! If you claim it who cares!! I'm still money ahead. It just doesn't work. Then you will get the top guys all with the best stuff so nobody will claim the other. We just need set rules and run them and leave them alone. We don't need another Pro Street class with half the field broken all the time. This class had very little carnage which over time will help with the fans. Jeff

XLR8R
03-03-2011, 07:22 AM
Consistency is paramount in Super Stock's nascent stage - minor alterations are OK, but don't change what makes SS both challenging & innovation-driven at it's core:

#2 only
6000#
Pro Tree
66mm inducer bore

DavidTD
03-03-2011, 07:42 AM
Jeff and Gary had an idea, they put it together and put the rules in place that were pretty simple to follow. The idea was for a street driven vehicle to come out and compete. The turbo rule was picked as it was already in place for the sled pullers. Right or wrong it was a damn good start. If you want to keep the price down place a claimer rule on the turbocharger. How many people are going to put on a $6000 charger if someone can claim it for $xxxx? Set the claimer price equal to the cost of an off the shelf turbocharger. This has been done in racing for years to keep the high dollars out of certain classes. It keeps it fun and as inexpensive as you can do and still race. As for changing the class rules at another event, that's just dumb when there are already trucks built for the current rules.

What ever happens it's up to Jeff and Gary.

I have never heard of a "claimer" rule before. I like it and wish I had heard of it before now.

bdp
03-03-2011, 08:39 AM
I didnt make the race but I put in 500.00 so I guess I can say what I think.

Dont allow Lenco's, the Lenco guys say there is no advantage to an aftermarket tranny because the turbo is the limit that makes everyone even. The advantage is not because the Lenco makes them faster, it lets them run laps w/o worrying about breaking the trans. Breaking tranny's is part of it, better build a good one or you are not going to win.

Leave the turbo alone, just because someone spends 5g on a turbo doesnt mean they are an automatic shoe in. Just because you make a rule that says it must be a true 66mm doesnt mean someone wont go out and spend 10k on a 66mm charger thats different then the normal for a leg up. You cant make rules to keep people from spending money.

And WTF with the no stand alones? So a Dodge guy is limited to a box tuner/stack deal but a Dmax can custom tune thier ecm. Seems like Aaron did just fine with a Smarty on his 6.7 against stand alones and EFI so why does it matter.

For the most part tweak it maby but LEAVE IT ALONE!

Acorn 616
03-03-2011, 08:57 AM
Cosistancy is key. You can watch any type of racing, and that's the one thing that all have in common. The good ones that is.

Marco
03-03-2011, 09:31 AM
And WTF with the no stand alones? So a Dodge guy is limited to a box tuner/stack deal but a Dmax can custom tune thier ecm. Seems like Aaron did just fine with a Smarty on his 6.7 against stand alones and EFI so why does it matter.

Let me say this one more time just to make clear. My personal reasoning is to avoid as much as possible the high bucks stuff so to not scare away the guy that want's to enter this class. Or in different words, make the class attractive for as many Joe's as possible. Does a standalone have an advantage over the OEM? Maybe yes, maybe no, I'm not really convinced. BUT the average Joe will most likely think that he needs a standalone to compete. The standalone -alone- is already a hugh project for average Joe.

Anyhow, the discussion should not be ( again in my humble opinion ) about weather or not a certain mod is an advantage. The discussion should be about the budget needed to compete in this class. That's if we want to have the tallest field possible.

I think at this point the guys who really count, Jeff and Gary, have gotten the points everybody is making. They are the only ones that will have to take the final decision about what and IF to do changes to the rules.

At this point I will do something smart; I'll shut up my mouth and wait for them to talk.

Marco

bdp
03-03-2011, 10:05 AM
But the problem is you cant make rules to keep people from spending money, they will spend it no matter what rules you make. If you dont have a big budget then work on consitancy and ingenuity. The guys that spend the most money are not always the ones that win, it probably the other way around.

If the class is going 10-11 seconds and 6000-6500# then why fool yourself in thinking its a "street" or "everyday truck" class. It is a purpose built class but thats fine, stop trying to make it something it isnt! Let the guys ***** that run 14 seconds that its not a class built for them!

dieselbeef
03-03-2011, 10:17 AM
hey man i run 14's..git offa me..jus kiddin man..i thuoght it went off perfect....

always someone to complain..notice aaron aint *****in..gary or jeff been quiet

yall keep this **** up and why would they bother again

yall quit yer fukin moaning and start building trucks...if ya spent as much time workin on yer **** as yall do criticizing something ya didnt even attend much less race youd all be alot better off

now git offa the friggin keyboard and onto yer tools fukers

Big Swole
03-03-2011, 10:18 AM
Let me say this one more time just to make clear. My personal reasoning is to avoid as much as possible the high bucks stuff so to not scare away the guy that want's to enter this class. Or in different words, make the class attractive for as many Joe's as possible. Does a standalone have an advantage over the OEM? Maybe yes, maybe no, I'm not really convinced. BUT the average Joe will most likely think that he needs a standalone to compete. The standalone -alone- is already a hugh project for average Joe.

Anyhow, the discussion should not be ( again in my humble opinion ) about weather or not a certain mod is an advantage. The discussion should be about the budget needed to compete in this class. That's if we want to have the tallest field possible.

I think at this point the guys who really count, Jeff and Gary, have gotten the points everybody is making. They are the only ones that will have to take the final decision about what and IF to do changes to the rules.

At this point I will do something smart; I'll shut up my mouth and wait for them to talk.

Marco

Classic Classic Classic Post Marco!!!!

Bravo!!!

I dig the "Idiocracy" quote to boot!!! lol

Lostnwalmart
03-03-2011, 05:13 PM
what about gear vendors? I am going to build my truck to this class but need to know if i have to get rid of the gear vendors or if i can keep it.

SHughes
03-03-2011, 05:41 PM
Its still a stock transmission, just has an added weight on the end. LOL

I see no reason why it wouldn't fit the rules. It's a modification to a stock trans. My $1.298