PDA

View Full Version : best chip for a 2007 5.9

02psd7.3
06-04-2007, 09:23 PM
the truck is a 2007 5.9 4x4 with a 6 speed going to wait for it to break in first but i want to do some research first any in put would be great

DSI
06-04-2007, 10:07 PM
I'm in the same boat... not looking for huge power or track times, just something to help with EGT's and some power for towing.

got 5k miles on my truck now, it's a month old now, going to wait till 10k to do anything on it.

02psd7.3
06-05-2007, 10:30 PM
my buddy has a bully dog with crazy larry on his 05 that he is trading in and i pulled the 1400dollar clutch out today that is only 4 months old he is getting an auto so i got a clutch

Pitz
06-06-2007, 02:00 PM
Nice pull! I'm really enjoying my Bullydog so far. The adjustability is very nice, and you don't HAVE to run it on Crazy Larry.... but it is tempting. The new PMT from Bullydog looks nice- MSRP is around $900 and it is guages + a tuner. You can also set some safety features up on it if you want to. Also, the new Van Aken box might be worth a look- supposed to offer some customization options. I've had my truck for about 6 months, and there is a lot to learn out there.

Mike's Big Ford
06-06-2007, 02:03 PM
I always heard the Smarty was the best thing to do on a dodge...

Pitz
06-06-2007, 06:19 PM
My truck didn't like the smarty- it didn't play nice with the line pressure on my goerend valve body. The new smarty beta might be better, but the change on the fly of the BD and the Scarry Lary program are pretty nice. Reb of Brown's Diesel was the one who got me to get rid of the Smarty in favor of the Bully Dog.

Lucky Jeff
06-06-2007, 06:28 PM
I always heard the Smarty was the best thing to do on a dodge...
For some reason the autos and the Smarty's have a tough time getting along.

Raschein
06-06-2007, 07:00 PM
I have an auto, and i have never had a single problem with my tranny liking the smarty.. The trany is completely billet.. the only problem i have had with a smarty is downloading it.. other than that the power is unreal..$.02

Bob Wagner
06-06-2007, 07:35 PM
LJ is talking 2nd gen with a couple of truck issues. very uncommon'

This new beta software is really looking very positive :rockwoot:

Bob Wagner
06-06-2007, 07:38 PM
here is a quote name withheld

Bob,

After a 25 mile test drive with the beta software on SW9, all I can say is WOW!! It took the positives of both the Bully Dog Crazy Larry tune and the existing Smarty SWs and combined them while throwing the negatives of both out the window!

The smoke level is perfect. It has a very touchy throttle, which I like, and will smoke like crazy if I’m not careful, but the truck can get moving quickly in traffic without anything but a light haze, which is good enough for me. The bully dog would do the same, but with less throttle response. Max boost I saw was 46 psi, perfect. I hit 52 psi once and a while with the Bully Dog or old SW9. Top end power is phenomenal! It no longer has a noticeable flat spot after 3,000 RPM like with the other programs. It pulled hard to 3500 RPM and also quit fueling when clutching in for shifts, something the bully dog wouldn’t do on crazy larry. The smoke clears up to just a haze after the boost onset at WOT. Also, no where near as much timing rattle at idle or 2,000 RPM as the old SWs! One of the best things about it is how quickly it lights the turbo, considering how tolerable the smoke levels are. I am stacked with a TS MP8 which probably helps, but even with this stack on any tune w/ the bully dog, it wouldn’t light the turbo anywhere as quickly as the beta program. I even think it lights faster than the wild tq management program on the old SW, but with a fraction of the smoke. I’m running a II Silver 62 turbo and it’s added lag over stock was almost making think of going back to stock, but after driving on the beta SW9, I am in love with this set up. I never ran the truck long enough, and through enough gears, to see any high EGTs. I think the most I saw were 1100, which is under the peaks I would hit with the old SW9.

Tell Marco you’ve got one more INCREDIBLY pleased beta tester. I would like to try and hit the dyno again soon. With the Wild SW9 the truck made 535 HP/974 TQ. With the Crazy Larry it made 540 HP/993 TQ. Even if it doesn’t blow away these numbers, the power curve has got to be much better. I really need to get the truck back to the drag strip as well.

Thanks,

Boz007
06-06-2007, 08:11 PM
my buddy has a bully dog with crazy larry on his 05 that he is trading in and i pulled the 1400dollar clutch out today that is only 4 months old he is getting an auto so i got a clutch

Make sure its the same tranny. Dodge ran two trannies in 05, the NV5600 in the beginning of the Model Year and then switched to the G56. If reverse is to the left and down, then you're clutch is from a G56 and you're good to go.

Oh and i love my smarty. With the smarty on 9, 5" exhaust and a dual disc clutch i made 468/923 uncorrected.

Lucky Jeff
06-06-2007, 09:49 PM
I thought that Peter used the same clutch on the G56 as he did the NV5600? I know he asked me if he could use my Dad's truck as a guinea pig since he was almost positive that was the case.

Lucky Jeff
06-06-2007, 09:51 PM

good news!!

I've got a question though, a stupid simple one. Which level gets rid of the Torque management? I have a feeling it's 7? If it is, I'm going to eat my words when I drive my Dad's truck on level 7 :doh:

Raschein
06-06-2007, 10:58 PM
here is a quote name withheld

Bob,

After a 25 mile test drive with the beta software on SW9, all I can say is WOW!! It took the positives of both the Bully Dog Crazy Larry tune and the existing Smarty SWs and combined them while throwing the negatives of both out the window!

The smoke level is perfect. It has a very touchy throttle, which I like, and will smoke like crazy if I’m not careful, but the truck can get moving quickly in traffic without anything but a light haze, which is good enough for me. The bully dog would do the same, but with less throttle response. Max boost I saw was 46 psi, perfect. I hit 52 psi once and a while with the Bully Dog or old SW9. Top end power is phenomenal! It no longer has a noticeable flat spot after 3,000 RPM like with the other programs. It pulled hard to 3500 RPM and also quit fueling when clutching in for shifts, something the bully dog wouldn’t do on crazy larry. The smoke clears up to just a haze after the boost onset at WOT. Also, no where near as much timing rattle at idle or 2,000 RPM as the old SWs! One of the best things about it is how quickly it lights the turbo, considering how tolerable the smoke levels are. I am stacked with a TS MP8 which probably helps, but even with this stack on any tune w/ the bully dog, it wouldn’t light the turbo anywhere as quickly as the beta program. I even think it lights faster than the wild tq management program on the old SW, but with a fraction of the smoke. I’m running a II Silver 62 turbo and it’s added lag over stock was almost making think of going back to stock, but after driving on the beta SW9, I am in love with this set up. I never ran the truck long enough, and through enough gears, to see any high EGTs. I think the most I saw were 1100, which is under the peaks I would hit with the old SW9.

Tell Marco you’ve got one more INCREDIBLY pleased beta tester. I would like to try and hit the dyno again soon. With the Wild SW9 the truck made 535 HP/974 TQ. With the Crazy Larry it made 540 HP/993 TQ. Even if it doesn’t blow away these numbers, the power curve has got to be much better. I really need to get the truck back to the drag strip as well.

Thanks,

I have to agree with the previous statement, new beta program is incredible!!! I have yet to get to the track, buti can see the numbers looking promising.. Thanks again to bob and marco, for hitting this program right on.

Dustin

Wyatt Earp
06-06-2007, 11:04 PM
I would say I have never heard anything bad about the smarty from any of the clients who have purchased them. Both auto and manual and both 2nd and 3rd gen trucks.

Pitz
06-07-2007, 12:36 AM

I guess I just got the unlucky truck :( I've been hearing great things about the Beta Smarty- rave reviews. I'm wishing I would have kept it now instead of putting it up on the DTR forums. Would have been worth it just to compare the two.

Burner
06-07-2007, 12:39 AM
Had bad luck with mine as well. ........We'll see pretty soon how it'll do. ;)

Ontherks
06-10-2007, 10:26 PM
Iam also looking into something for the 07 5.9, but mine is a auto.
One think is I would like it to be adjustable on the fly my 03 ford with the 6 pos chip was nice, but the 06 with the sct sucked having to reprogram all the time.
What every I do it will still have to tow about 20k lb so no race or light towing only stuff.

Teelo
06-11-2007, 12:08 AM
I have had an edge and now i have a bullydog, BD is a thousand times better