Installed ConO/cannot shift tranny

jedeka

I helped the neighbor install a new South Bend ConO clutch assy in his 97 Dodge. Everything seemed to go together smooth and alignment tool slipped in and out of pressure plate and clutch disc. Got truck running the other day and tranny will not go into gear with engine running. Clutch pedal seemed a little spongy. Tranny will shift fine, when the engine is not running. We installed new South Bend clutch hydraulics last night and figured tonight, it would work fine. Wrong. Still acts the same way. We can put tranny in gear and start up truck, but truck will move and applying the brakes will kill the engine. My worse fear is the pressure plate is in wrong, but I kept an eye on that, when going together with it. Any ideas? Thank you.

Can you start it in gear, with the clutch in and it not move? Did you make sure the throwout bearing slid freely?

If the truck gets started in gear, it will move as soon as the engine fires up. I did not check the throwout bearing on the sleeve. How can I get more travel? The new clutch hydraulics are not adjustable and we installed the washer behind the pivot ball.

Back