Stock 7.3L on the Dyno

crzycowboy

Comp Diesel Sponsor
So we Dynoed a stock 7.3L Power Stroke, and got a HP rating of 217HP, does this seem to be accurate? We did several runs, and they were all about in the same spot. After we removed the factory exhaust we installed our Powerflow 5" kit, which is 4" turbo back to the muffler, and 5" out of the muffler. We dynoed the same stock truck, and he dynoed at 223HP. My question is, is that a normal gain on doing an exhaust up grade? We also dynoed the truck using one of our QPM mufflers. After we installed that muffler and dynoed, he got 226HP.

We did dyno his truck with his SCT tunner in it, but I don't have those numbers in front of me. We will be putting in gauges next, then intake and injectors. We plan on dynoing his truck after every install (except the gauges) to see what he gains over stock, and over tuned.

Any feedback you all can give me on the numbers I posted above, would be a great help.

Josh that sounds right. It will be interesting to follow the progress with hard numbers as the mods are installed.

Thanks guys, but my question remains, what do you think about the numbers. Are the a "good" increase, or just moderate? I'm actually lookin' forward to helping with the rest of the installs, 1 so I can learn how to do them for my truck when I get it, and 2 just to see how the increases go up with every up-grade.

Yeh 6hp gain and still useing a muffler. Then 3hp by just changing to a different muffler. You would see a bigger increase if you already had a chip (more fuel).

He has the SCT, but with the stock injectors, it wasn't workin' right at the 110hp turn up. We figured it was overfueling or something with the turbo spooling. I think he was tryin' to push more fuel through than the injectors would allow is all. At the end of the dyno run fully chipped, his CEL would come on, then turn off after a few seconds.

My 3 trucks dyno'd 200- 212 hp stock. I don't think there is a 'real' hp gain with the exhaust system- it is more to keep the egt's lower- remember it is part of the driveability and the sum of the parts that will help make the most hp.

You will an easy 300 hp @ wheel with a 100hp tune.

Any intake on it yet?

wouldnt it be smarter to do all your upgrades first, then add a chip custom tuned for your upgrades? i.e. a chip tuned for the new injectors and such?

jsf350 said:
My 3 trucks dyno'd 200- 212 hp stock. I don't think there is a 'real' hp gain with the exhaust system- it is more to keep the egt's lower- remember it is part of the driveability and the sum of the parts that will help make the most hp.

You will an easy 300 hp @ wheel with a 100hp tune.

Any intake on it yet?

Thanks for the info. As for an intake yet, no. The next purchase he makes will be the gauges he'll need. Then I belive he'll get his intake, then injectors.

slowleak said:
wouldnt it be smarter to do all your upgrades first, then add a chip custom tuned for your upgrades? i.e. a chip tuned for the new injectors and such?

This guy is a SCT dealer. So once he's done with his truck, I'm sure he'll be getting some custome tunes done. He's just lookin' at making his truck quicker a little bit. He's not into drag racin' it or pullin' it. He needs it for work...LOL I told him work is WAY over rated....LOL

With 5" exhaust, Afe stage 1, and a TS 6-pos chip I made 307/637 at the rear wheels. Never tried it stock yet.

What trans and gears is he running?

I'm not sure what gears, but I know it's an automatic transmission. Not sure what he's planning on doing to the drive train yet, but I'm sure there will be an up-grade sooner or later.

Back