PDA

View Full Version : LMM difference?

Burner
06-16-2007, 07:43 AM
What's different about the LMM compared to the LBZ, LLY and LB7?

C.A.P
06-16-2007, 09:28 AM
Well Rich lets just say that the Lb7 was easy and had no EGR or emissions , as long as it wasn't a California truck (They had different heads that were not as good of flowing). It was rated at 300hp . The LLY were the first of the Dmax to have a EGR and a variable vane turbo . It also had injectors that were outside the valve cover . (Easier to get at) The hp increased a tad. The lbz was a bit stouter internally as the rods and the pistons were beefed up as was the horse power, 360 hp . They still run a variable vane turbo with new EGR system. The LMM is the newest emission ridden engine of them all. It has a complicated EGR system that regenerates the spent gases and such. It has 360 hp IIRC, and has one ugly new truck body to set in. All of them have different ECm tuning and different tables for that. The Lb7 is the easiest to work on that way as the LLY and the later had emissions to deal with. They lly has came along way with some bastardized parts and has ran sub 10 runs. Once you start to mod these engines and put aftermarket turbos and parts on they all meld into one engine type . A MODED DURAMAX.

In a nut shell that is it, there were some trans changes too like from a Alison 5 speed to the new 6 speed in 06 .

Burner
06-16-2007, 12:24 PM
Thanks Chris. I was wondering where those return lines came from after the LB7. 360 HP, huh? That's a BUNCH, a large increase over the original 300! So that's the reason the wrist pins, rods and block grew? I wonder how the power went up while the injector lines srunk on one side, still don't get that?

Do you have any specs on the upgraded parts? I wonder what a stock engine can do? I wonder which parts fail first?

:thankyou2:

LMMKING
03-20-2008, 03:16 PM
What's different about the LMM compared to the LBZ, LLY and LB7?

Here is the REAL difference unlike above:blahblah1::blahblah1:

2008 DURAMAX DIESEL 6.6L V8 Turbo (LMM)

DURAMAX DIESEL 6.6L V8 Turbo (LMM) Truck Engine
2008 Model Year Summary

Carryover from 2007i model year

• New Engine For All Applications For The 2007 Interim Model Year
• New Fuel Injectors Improve Combustion Characteristics
• Durability Enhancement For Variable-Geometry Turbocharger
• Larger Exhaust Gas Recirculation Cooler
• Closed Crankcase Ventilation System
• Diesel Particulate Filter System
• Intake Throttle For Precise Combustion Temperature Control
• Electrically Variable Engine Cooling Fan
• Increased Engine Control Processing
• Lower Output Fleet Version Dropped

FULL DESCRIPTIONS OF NEW OR CHANGED FEATURES

NEW ENGINE FOR ALL APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2007 INTERIM MODEL YEAR
The all-new 2007 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra 2500 HD and 3500, are the first pickup truck applications for the new Duramax Diesel 6.6L V8 Turbo (LMM), which will be introduced in January, 2007. In addition, the Chevrolet Express and GMC Savana full-size vans and Chevrolet Top Kick and GMC Kodiak medium-duty trucks will also be equipped with the newly engineered Duramax Diesel 6.6L V8 Turbo (LMM) beginning in January, 2007.

NEW FUEL INJECTORS IMPROVE COMBUSTION CHARACTERISTICS
Sophisticated solenoid injectors are used to precisely control combustion and to take advantage of the cleaner Ultra Low Sulfur fuel federally mandated to be available for all on-road diesel vehicles beginning in the 2007 model year. The injectors have six specially shaped holes, developed by Powertrain engineers to better atomize fuel for complete combustion of the fuel. The injectors are programmed to inject fuel into the combustion chamber at multiple intervals during one compression stroke. By doing this, the combustion event can be tailored to lower emissions and reduce noise at its source.

DURABILITY ENHANCEMENT FOR VARIABLE-GEOMETRY TURBOCHARGER
The unique variable-geometry vane-type turbocharger is housed inside the “V” of the Duramax Diesel 6.6L V8, where it is cooled by the engine’s cooling system. For 2007, the compressor is changed to a “boreless” type, which will increase durability at high rpm.

LARGER EXHAUST GAS RECIRCULATION COOLER
To help control combustion temperatures, exhaust gas is introduced into the intake system. The exhaust gas is also cooled inside an element, which was made larger for the 2007 model year to contribute to achieving lower emissions.

CLOSED CRANKCASE VENTILATION SYSTEM
The crankcase ventilation system is a sealed chamber between both cylinder banks of the Duramax Diesel 6.6L V8 Turbo to ensure that emissions from the crankcase are kept to a minimum.

DIESEL PARTICULATE FILTER SYSTEM
To accomplish a dramatic reduction in emissions of particulate matter (PM), a complex ceramic-type exhaust gas filter is installed behind the oxidizing catalyst already in the exhaust system. The filter replaces the muffler in location, and consists of hundreds of small, porous tubes blocked at one end, which force the exhaust gas through the walls of the tubes, which trap PM. The trapped particles are then burned off by the heat of the exhaust, which reaches 550 degrees Celsius. Sensors detect the differential pressure between exhaust gas entering and exiting the filter, and signal the engine control module (ECM) to adjust combustion to maintain the exhaust gas temperature. The use of Ultra Low Sulfur fuel is necessary, and it will be the only diesel fuel available for on-road vehicles at the beginning of the 2007 Model Year.

INTAKE THROTTLE FOR PRECISE COMBUSTION TEMPERATURE CONTROL
During low load conditions such as idling for extended periods and unladen low-speed driving, the temperature of the exhaust falls. To increase the amount of load on the engine during those periods, a throttle is added to the intake system, upstream of the turbocharger. This throttle is operated by the ECM as an additional control for combustion temperatures.

ELECTRICALLY CONTROLLED ENGINE COOLING FAN
On the Chevrolet Kodiak and GMC TopKick Medium Duty truck applications only, the engine cooling fan is now controlled by the ECM. This allows the engine cooling system to be assisted by the fan only when necessary, which results in more precise control over the engine temperature and also aids efficiency and improves fuel economy slightly.

INCREASED ENGINE CONTROL PROCESSING
The powerful E35 ECM which added more processing capacity for the 2006 Model Year is reprogrammed to include substantially more functions. Adding to the existing functions such as the variable-geometry turbocharger, the E35 ECM now controls the new injectors, the data from the diesel particulate filter pressure sensors, the new intake throttle operation, and the electrically variable engine cooling fan. ( Kodiak and TopKick )

LOWER OUTPUT FLEET VERSION DROPPED
The lower-output option for fleet versions of the engine that was introduced for the 2003 Model Year has been dropped.

Burner
03-20-2008, 03:49 PM
That's some funny stuff. LOL Why don't you just say they changed the block a little for harmonics, added a better brain and that Bosch now controls 100% of the fuel.

IdahoRob
03-20-2008, 04:01 PM
Better injectors, better CP3 pump, and a VVT turbo. add this with a faster processor and you get a nice package.

The LBZ and LMM are the easiest to get HP out of. Very easy to get over 500RWHP with tuning alone.

973604x4
03-20-2008, 05:10 PM
The LBZ and LMM are the easiest to get HP out of. Very easy to get over 500RWHP with tuning alone.

don't tell me that :bang LOL

Burner
03-20-2008, 05:16 PM
It's true man....... kind'a sucks, doesn't it. Oh, the trans will still need a good bit of work for that kind'a pedal work.

IdahoRob
03-20-2008, 07:07 PM
I had a stock LMM customer with just a transgo Jr., exhaust, and EFI Live tune, dyno 505RWHP on 35" tires. Didn't even have a lift pump.

He drives this tune all the time beating on it. I warned him about the tranny, but the damn thing is still alive.

LMMKING
03-20-2008, 08:12 PM
That's some funny stuff. LOL Why don't you just say they changed the block a little for harmonics, added a better brain and that Bosch now controls 100% of the fuel.

Sorry, I guess that was a little out of your league!

Burner
03-20-2008, 08:31 PM
Sorry, I guess that was a little out of your league!

:clap: Now that's funny.

Who the phuck are you to decide what league I'm in you smuck. :kick:

Fight'n mood tonight. :rockwoot:

LMMKING
03-20-2008, 10:25 PM
:clap: Now that's funny.

Who the phuck are you to decide what league I'm in you smuck. :kick:

Fight'n mood tonight. :rockwoot:

I think you chose your own league.

C.A.P
03-20-2008, 11:45 PM
OK , lets get it back on topic fast !

Burner
03-24-2008, 02:31 PM
Better injectors, better CP3 pump, and a VVT turbo. add this with a faster processor and you get a nice package.

Careful, LMMKing is "all knowing"...... We don't know squat compared to "The LMM King"

Balls2go
03-25-2008, 08:50 PM
Hey guys. I need some mentoring here. I've been driving diesels-all Chevrolets-since the mid '80's but only in the last few months (mostly since I discovered this web site) have I really realized the potential of these motors. Right now I have an '06 Chevrolet duelly with the LBZ and Allison. Bought it new and it now has about 44K miles on it. The only thing I've done to it is a PPE Xcellerator and a 4" straight exhaust. I've been reading a lot of posts on here about how the Allison is vulnerable to more horsepower than stock and how the LBZ is unreliable at anything above a stock tune, and I need some expert advise. My truck is basically a daily driver that does a little burnout a couple of times a month and is babied most of the time. I ocassionally tow some heavy loads with it-I'm a farmer-(grossing about 32,000 pounds) but when I do, I tune it down to stock or tune 1. I love my truck and the power it makes now, but I don't want to hurt it too bad. The way the Duramax and the Allison work together can't be appriciated till you pull something heavy with it. I guess what I'm asking is what is the real story on the LBZ / Allison combination? How much power can a stock Allison take with the above driving conditions? The theoretical flywheel horsepower I'm making now should be around 600, tuned up. That's based on the factory rating and the additional 225 that the Xcellerator is supposed to provide, plus the straight exhaust. Sure feels like it's making around that. What would you guess that that would equate to in RWHP? What's the next thing I should do? I'm really wanting to put a Banks ram air system on it. Opinions and comments are welcome-just don't tell me to go buy a Dodge or Ford. Thanks for your advise. Roger

Burner
03-27-2008, 11:25 PM
225+360= 600? The exhaust might give you better response but 15HP?.....donno? (600 x .8175 = 490 RWHP) I'd say that 490 would be pretty close to your 'actual' RWHP but your trans will never put it to the ground. It might to the rollers but not the ground.

IdahoRob
03-28-2008, 09:22 AM
We try to keep the LBZ to 80HP additional max. The 6 speeds can handle a bit more power, but there are still limits. If you've run the higher settings on the PPE, I can almost guarantee you have already started damaging the clutches and converter.

You could purchase a Transgo Jr. to help holding power, but not a cure all.

Burner
03-28-2008, 12:00 PM
Balls, where ya located?

Balls2go
03-28-2008, 12:17 PM
Middle Tennessee.. Why do you ask???