PDA

View Full Version : When does it end ?.........

C.A.P
06-26-2007, 05:00 PM
:( I am at a rock and a hard place here in the diesel world. I Just took my engine out last WED on my way to Merchants . It really has made me think is it all worth it? I have less than 60,000 miles on ,this truck and have had 2 turbos , heads , injectors 2- stage 4 Suncoast transmissions and my front end re done with, Fab Tech Tie rods, Pittman and idler arms , Cog Braces, let alone the 3 sets of tires and the new pads and rotors. I am really thinking about this hard. I love the sport but don't know if I can afford to keep dumping $$$ into a truck that I am driving as a daily driver. Stock sucks but it is safe. Cadillac EXT ain't sounding that bad , especially if your making payments on it its running with a warranty. I am looking at my options now and will make some decisions in the near future.

this is the first thing I found in the skid plate !

maxedout
06-26-2007, 05:07 PM
That really sucks! I had the same thing happen back in November.

Dieselson
06-26-2007, 05:59 PM
Wow, well, its hard, if I were you I would go for it for the sake of fun and duramax technology. I have a serious question to ask you, how hard have you really beaten your truck? How many quarter mile passes. Stock really sucks, and I wouldn't be able to stand a stock truck after know what 600+ feels like. When, where, and why did this happen?

Noreaster
06-28-2007, 06:52 PM
Duel CP3s & stock rods=Disaster, if you want to play then you have to pay for an upgraded bottom end.

Thats why Im planning on sticking with a single CP3 & conservative tunes till I can afford a built motor.

jamesl
06-28-2007, 09:06 PM
yeah im kind of in the same situation...i need about 5 grand worth of tranny work in my truck to utilize all the parts i have stacked on the shelf in the garage. i have thought long and hard and still think im going to go through with it. Afterall its only money and you cant take it with you! throw a set of billet rods in there and let er rip...you never know if tomorrow will be your last ride or not!

$.02

Kat
06-29-2007, 01:44 AM
Crap :( Sorry Chris

ripmf666
06-29-2007, 03:28 AM
Sorry about the bad luck hope you rebuild and keep playing.

C.A.P
06-29-2007, 08:36 AM
Well , I found a core engine to BUILD up. I will start getting the process rolling next week. I will be doing rods , pistons and a few other tricks .

I GUESS IT NEVER ENDS !

UNBROKEN
06-29-2007, 08:45 AM
I had to ask myself the same questions Chris...as you know I decided to just go for it.
Can I afford it ? Hell no
Will it be fun ? Oh hell yes.....and I'll just pay my bills later. LOL

nummit
06-29-2007, 08:48 AM
A better question is can you afford to cut your losses? Since its going to cost $$$ to get it running again anyway, you may as well stick with it.
Just my .02

Snedge
06-29-2007, 08:55 AM
Spend it if you got it, cuz you can't take it with you.

Diesel Tech
06-29-2007, 04:26 PM
These things all have there limits and if you push a Duramax beyond 500 RwHp your playing with fire. Some feel I set the HP level to low but I've seen way to many blow apart to recommend anyone go above this level if they use the truck day-in and day-out and want it to last.

duratothemax
06-29-2007, 08:21 PM
good to hear you found yourself a core cap

keep us updated, and dont blow the $ at grand rapids...save it for the engine :D

ripmf666
06-30-2007, 02:04 AM
I had a scare last night 1 mile from work, Heard little pop and didnt really think much pulle din parking lot and white smoke coming out of tail pipe I thought and rolling out from under hood, Looked on road and saw fuel trail and puddle under truck and the smell came to me, I thought I blew it up tile I smelled diesel then thought it was a return line, it ended up being the water sending unit in the filter started coming out.sorry if I went alittle of topic here, Good luck with the build.

wideopen
07-02-2007, 02:17 PM
Dang Chris..I can understand ..but as Steve said anything over 500HP is Dangerous.

Diesel Tech
07-02-2007, 02:35 PM
I should correct myself by saying 500 RwHp on a stock lowerend. Build it as Chris is going to do and the limit is much higher.

wideopen
07-02-2007, 02:43 PM
I should correct myself by saying 500 RwHp on a stock lowerend. Build it as Chris is going to do and the limit is much higher.

I agree 100% .. there are the lucky few that can push it though.

I guess when you start modding a truck to the extreme, failer at some point should be expected.

Freighttrain
07-12-2007, 02:21 PM
Chris, What core did you find (LB7,LLY,LBZ)? Are you using LB7 Pistons?
Good luck and hang in there. The dark times are no fun at all, but it will be worth it.