PDA

View Full Version : meth nozzle flow?

RedBowTies88
08-12-2011, 12:52 PM
Dealing with a stock turbo chevy, 250psi pump, 40psi boost, 540-550 WHP calculated by track times.

injectors range from 50 to 760 cc/m......i'm new to this what flow do you guys recommend? looking to run a 50/50 mix...

thanks.

RedBowTies88
08-13-2011, 05:35 PM
Bump......anyone?

Carbon
08-13-2011, 07:58 PM
I run a 49/51 meth./water mix in my diesel, that is what snow sells as thier boost juice

Carbon
08-13-2011, 07:59 PM
oh sorry I thought you were asking what mix, not what flow, I have no idea what a gasser would use sorry. My only advice would be to start small and work you way up until it starts missing then back off

RedBowTies88
08-13-2011, 09:44 PM
It's a durmax haha. I don't know of any other stock turbo chevys that will come close to 500hp lol

Jim Fulmer
08-13-2011, 10:13 PM
Snow performances original kit cam with (2) 625ml nozzles and I found that was fine for max HP as long as you are on it hard.......the new kits use 3 nozzles in more of a ramp up based on boost or EGT.

Jim

RedBowTies88
08-14-2011, 09:26 AM
Well I'm only really worrie about WOT runs I'm gonna get the 0-25 boost sensor and set it to 25.

Does snow measure in ML per minute?

Farmallgray
08-17-2011, 05:09 PM
A ML is the same as a CC if it helps any.

RedBowTies88
08-18-2011, 06:29 AM
Thanks it does. Well guess I'm just gonna try to biggest nozzle I can find and wing it

madmikeismad
08-18-2011, 07:13 AM
Not a chevy, but I'm running a 625 snow nozzle and a 8xx devils own nozzle. Works great, but you gotta stay heavy in the throttle to keep it from popping.

RedBowTies88
08-18-2011, 08:32 AM
10-4

i was hoping i could get away with just one nozzle but it looks like ill need at least 1000ml

Begle1
08-18-2011, 10:41 PM
Has anybody ever ran a "625" or "1000" mL nozzle in a bucket for a minute and seen how much they actually flowed?

Sandaholic
08-19-2011, 08:58 AM
Has anybody ever ran a "625" or "1000" mL nozzle in a bucket for a minute and seen how much they actually flowed?

Not sure why I didn't, as that is usually the sort of thing I would do, but I tested mine at install just pulled them out and let them go on the ground and it seemed like a ton of fluid! This was 2-882ml nozzles.

Do you have reason to believe they don't flow what they are rated for? I guess it's a simple enough test, I just figure they are gonna be pretty close so why bother.

RedBowTies88
08-19-2011, 09:05 AM
how did those 2 880's run on your truck?

Sandaholic
08-19-2011, 10:04 AM
how did those 2 880's run on your truck?

Not a chevy, but I'm running a 625 snow nozzle and a 8xx devils own nozzle. Works great, but you gotta stay heavy in the throttle to keep it from popping.

Similar to this. If I have it set to come on too early say 10-15 psi. But at 25psi it works great on the track and the street.

I think I need to put a solenoid on one of the nozzles and use a simple hobbs switch on it. Have the progressive controller come on early with a single nozzle like around 10. Then have the Hobbs switch activate at around 30.

Begle1
08-19-2011, 10:07 AM
My custom water injection system has the magical ability to turn my engine oil into milkshake, I've been on a quest for a few years to find out why.

I wish I knew how much water other people were actually injecting. I know I can go up to 2/3 GPM, but I also get milkshake down at a pint a minute so flow rate isn't all there is to it.

RedBowTies88
08-19-2011, 10:10 AM
My custom water injection system has the magical ability to turn my engine oil into milkshake, I've been on a quest for a few years to find out why.

I wish I knew how much water other people were actually injecting. I know I can go up to 2/3 GPM, but I also get milkshake down at a pint a minute so flow rate isn't all there is to it.

sounds like you need better atomizarion....

madmikeismad
08-19-2011, 04:08 PM

I can tell you mine goes through 2qts in a matter of seconds LOL

Begle1
09-06-2011, 06:08 AM
sounds like you need better atomizarion....

I think it's too good atomization...

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t130/Begle1/Truck%20Parts/IMG_1241.jpg

duallyspeed
09-06-2011, 07:25 AM
Look at the cone angle. Maybe it is heavy on the sides. How does it compare fan shape wise to a snow? How did you install it? Maybe back it off a taste.

You must have a real long hose, do other cars tend to run it over when you drive?:stab:

Begle1
09-06-2011, 08:03 PM
They're cone-shaped impingement nozzles. That's not a garden hose, it's a pressure washer hose at 1000 PSI.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t130/Begle1/Truck%20Parts/IMG_1243.jpg

While its going you can wave your hand 4" from the nozzle and not feel the water impacting your skin, but your hand comes away soaked. I don't think the "atomization" is sub-par in the slightest, but maybe there's some other feature of nozzle design I'm not aware of. I wouldn't imagine that pattern alone is that big of a problem, especially not when nobody says that it's critical to align the fan nozzles perpendicular to air flow (or do they?).

My leading theories are... that injecting into a stock 1" square non-intercooled first gen intake horn causes water to pool all over and form droplets that take forever to disperse... that it's what you get when you inject water into a 400,000 mile engine... that there just aren't that many people running 1000 PSI over the course of minutes...

Maybe one day I'll use some of the off-the-shelf nozzles that everybody else uses, that'll eliminate my nozzles from suspicion or condemn them. I should have my truck up and running within a couple weeks, hopefully I'll have my new datalogger up within a couple month, I'll just keep rehashing my milkshake woes until I have some additional data.

At any rate, of course there's a point where too much nozzle will cause the water injection pumps to drop pressure and you'll get worse atomization. I believe they say that's around with two of their "625" nozzles? I'd hope somebody knows. Regardless, they seem to work beyond that.

I don't know, too many people using the kits as straight bolt-ons, not enough experimentation with them.

madmikeismad
09-07-2011, 05:16 PM
They're cone-shaped impingement nozzles. That's not a garden hose, it's a pressure washer hose at 1000 PSI.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t130/Begle1/Truck%20Parts/IMG_1243.jpg

While its going you can wave your hand 4" from the nozzle and not feel the water impacting your skin, but your hand comes away soaked. I don't think the "atomization" is sub-par in the slightest, but maybe there's some other feature of nozzle design I'm not aware of. I wouldn't imagine that pattern alone is that big of a problem, especially not when nobody says that it's critical to align the fan nozzles perpendicular to air flow (or do they?).

My leading theories are... that injecting into a stock 1" square non-intercooled first gen intake horn causes water to pool all over and form droplets that take forever to disperse... that it's what you get when you inject water into a 400,000 mile engine... that there just aren't that many people running 1000 PSI over the course of minutes...

Maybe one day I'll use some of the off-the-shelf nozzles that everybody else uses, that'll eliminate my nozzles from suspicion or condemn them. I should have my truck up and running within a couple weeks, hopefully I'll have my new datalogger up within a couple month, I'll just keep rehashing my milkshake woes until I have some additional data.

At any rate, of course there's a point where too much nozzle will cause the water injection pumps to drop pressure and you'll get worse atomization. I believe they say that's around with two of their "625" nozzles? I'd hope somebody knows. Regardless, they seem to work beyond that.

I don't know, too many people using the kits as straight bolt-ons, not enough experimentation with them.

Im running one snow 625 and a devils own 8xx, off 1 snow pump. Seems to spray fine, and isn't doing my oil any harm.

Sent from my phone, probably while driving, so please excuse the typos.

Smokie Okie
09-07-2011, 05:50 PM
[You must have a real long hose, do other cars tend to run it over when you drive?:stab:[/QUOTE]

:lolly:

RedBowTies88
09-07-2011, 10:07 PM
So,...is the intake pipe you have it plumbed into 4+ in diamater? If not it seems like that would cause an issues with droplets

madmikeismad
09-08-2011, 12:06 AM
So,...is the intake pipe you have it plumbed into 4+ in diamater? If not it seems like that would cause an issues with droplets

Me? Just plumbed into the top of stock intake horn. But I haave it set very progressive where it doesn't spray 100% until over 25psi

Sandaholic
09-08-2011, 08:09 AM
Good call.

Me? Just plumbed into the top of stock intake horn. But I haave it set very progressive where it doesn't spray 100% until over 25psi

Nope he was talking to Begle, and I immediately saw his point.

RedBowTies88
09-08-2011, 10:13 AM
^ yep thanks.

Plus even if you have a 5" pipe if the injector protrudes more the. An inch or so it will be far less then 4" to the sides of the pipe.

madmikeismad
09-08-2011, 11:04 AM
Anyone ever trying plumbing them in at an angle so they spray down the tube instead of directly at the far side?

RedBowTies88
09-08-2011, 12:14 PM
Anyone ever trying plumbing them in at an angle so they spray down the tube instead of directly at the far side?

I was thinking about that, but more in like a direct port setup. I think 6 or 8 100-150cc nozzles would yeild better results then one or 2 large nozzles of = flow. And it seems like it wouldn't be terribly hard in a cummins setup

Jim Fulmer
09-08-2011, 09:30 PM

(2) 625'S AT 190 psi flow 1/2 gal per minute with zero boost ( in a bucket) tested this like 7 years ago, sorry I fell behind on posts :)

Jim

RedBowTies88
09-08-2011, 11:41 PM
Never factored in boost,... Makes sense though 200psi pushing against 50psi I'm sure makes a different.

Farmallgray
09-14-2011, 04:08 PM
Probably a good idea to check nozzle flow to compare apples to apples. I'm dealing with a much smaller application than you guys but through some rough testing I found out that what I bought as a 250cc nozzle was more like 380cc. I couldn't figure out why my EGTs were higher with a 180cc and a 90cc (270 total) than with a single 250cc.