PDA

View Full Version : Moline diesel-flame out the stack ?

1965LONEWOLF
09-13-2011, 07:22 AM
RUNNING A OLD MOLINE TRACTOR,NON TURBO WITH A SHORT 18" STACK, PROBLEM IS AT NIGHT I HAVE A 3" FLAME COMING OUT AND EVERYONE THINKS I AM RUNNING SOMETHING I SHOULDN'T , LIKE I SAID ITS NON-TURBO, WHAT CAN I DO TO GET RID OF THE FLAME ? RIGHT NOW ITS A 4" CHROME STACK AROUND 18 - 20" SO I CAN FIT INTO MY GARAGE - LET ME KNOW PLEASE ? WOULD A LONGER STACK WORK ? PLAY WITH THE TIMING ? JUST RUNS REALLY WELL SO I DON'T WANT TO MESS WITH IT.:blahblah1:

Craig_C
09-13-2011, 10:45 AM
Dont mess with it! They are just jealous of the flame!

1965LONEWOLF
09-13-2011, 11:04 AM
Dont mess with it! They are just jealous of the flame!

NEED TO ATLEAST HIDE IT, SO THEY STOP *****ING, ITS A CLICK THING AND IF ENOUGH OF THEM BAND TOGETHER, THEY WIN-GOING TO TRY GOING FROM A 4" , 20" LONG STACK TO A 5",36" LONG STACK, MY RESON IS I THINK A LONGER STACK MAY ATLEAST HIDE THE FLAME, MY 20" STACK SHOW'S A 3 - 4 " FLAME , GOING TO TRY A 36" STACK AND IT SHOULD KEEP IT IN THE STACK.:poke:

lorendiesel5.9
09-13-2011, 11:25 AM
You'll still have a flame 3-4" out the top because its unburnt fuel hitting the cool night air and combusting outside the stack. Get one of those stacks off an 07-09 Peterbilt or KW with the holes around the bottom of the flare so it pulls more oxygen in before it goes out the top of the stack

9724VF350
09-13-2011, 11:32 AM
Take they're protest money and tell them to pound sand.

1965LONEWOLF
09-13-2011, 11:44 AM
They are way to big to put on my tractor - would it help if i drilled a couple os small holes in the side of the stack where it exits the manifold ?

LReiff
09-13-2011, 11:52 AM
It sounds to me like they are begging to be fvcked with! Put a large stack with an air gap around the bottom over the existing stack...basically a heat shield that extends well above the top of the existing stack...heat from the inner stack will create a draft inside the outer pipe and burn the exhaust before it exits the top. Simply design it to drop over the stack so you can pull it off to fit the tractor into your garage.

shiftycapone
09-14-2011, 08:29 PM
Take they're protest money and tell them to pound sand.

^THIS:hehe:

madmikeismad
09-14-2011, 08:46 PM
It sounds to me like they are begging to be fvcked with! Put a large stack with an air gap around the bottom over the existing stack...basically a heat shield that extends well above the top of the existing stack...heat from the inner stack will create a draft inside the outer pipe and burn the exhaust before it exits the top. Simply design it to drop over the stack so you can pull it off to fit the tractor into your garage.

I like this. Or take their protest money. Or school them on why there's a flame. Make them feel stupid, if that's possible. And besides you can't tell me none of them have ever had a flame out the stack before!

Ps: when people type all caps, I actually read it louder in my mind LOL

Sent from my phone.

oldestof11
10-02-2011, 12:55 PM
NEED TO ATLEAST HIDE IT, SO THEY STOP *****ING, ITS A CLICK THING AND IF ENOUGH OF THEM BAND TOGETHER, THEY WIN-GOING TO TRY GOING FROM A 4" , 20" LONG STACK TO A 5",36" LONG STACK, MY RESON IS I THINK A LONGER STACK MAY ATLEAST HIDE THE FLAME, MY 20" STACK SHOW'S A 3 - 4 " FLAME , GOING TO TRY A 36" STACK AND IT SHOULD KEEP IT IN THE STACK.:poke:

Ask them what they think you might hiding...

deerefanatic
10-13-2011, 08:18 AM
Heck, my old Oliver when I was chopping with the n/a perkins would throw a 3-4" flame out the top of the MUFFLER! That's right, muffler. Granted, they are a straight-through muffler on them ollie diesels, but still, it was a muffler. There's nothing you'll do to get rid of that flame.. But the stack over stack idea might work.

Let me ask you this, does your Moline kick butt at the pulls? If so, there's your problem. LOL

Diehard Ram
12-05-2011, 06:20 PM
What model is it.

DEZLFREK
12-05-2011, 06:29 PM
i agree an outer stack that allows air to get around lower to the inner stack ending and that is taller than the inner will hide the flame..

BRE
12-05-2011, 07:51 PM
I just want a video! Lol

Also not trying to sound like an a$$ but you are aware that the vented stacks do mostly neck down to 5" right?

Tormentor
06-05-2012, 06:47 AM
You need a cooling stack, like those used on DPF trucks. The burning fuel in the pipe might make it glow, but at least you won't have flaming whiners!