PDA

View Full Version : New way to measure trans temp - Sneak "peek" at SEMA introduction

Michael
10-25-2011, 02:32 PM
Are you tired of spilling quarts of transmission fluid all over your truck and yourself just to install a transmission temperature gauge? Did you try one of the existing "hose clamp" products and find that it doesn't report temperatures anywhere close to the actual temperatures? Or perhaps you installed a "hose clamp" attached sensor and are in blissful ignorance of the true temperatures your transmission gets to when towing? Watch for a revolutionary new product to be unveiled by ISSPRO at the 2011 SEMA show on November 1. See the product in the SEMA New Product Showcase, or at ISSPRO's booth #23930 (between the Central Hall side entrance and the GM booth).

Michael
11-08-2011, 05:13 PM
For those of you who missed the show, here is the new product:

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff1/galts-gulch/Misc-ISSPRO/Flyer2a.jpg

It is Patent Pending, and will come with a small insulating sleeve to cover it. I've been using an early prototype on my race car for almost 3 years, it works great. I added one to my truck over a year ago (and more recently added a T fitting to measure a direct comparison), and have been amazed at the results.

nomercy
11-08-2011, 05:44 PM
I will check into that I need a temp sensor on my truck anyway do you know a rough idea on the pricing? pm if you dont want to post it thanks

Michael
11-09-2011, 10:41 AM
We have to see how long it takes to make them in production, but the plan is for street pricing to be less than $20 each.

burtonboarder
11-09-2011, 11:00 AM
Does it only work with isspro gauges? I would love one, but already have a gauge.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Shambo
11-09-2011, 11:06 AM
That is cool!

Joesixpack
11-09-2011, 11:16 AM
Cool idea!

Michael
11-09-2011, 12:21 PM
It will work with most temp sensors, but we designed it to be an exact fit for the one we use (which is the same part Auto Meter uses on their higher end gauges like Cobalt & Nexus). The key dimension is from the bottom of the threads to the tip of the sensor. If yours is close to the 0.55" measurement on these sensors then it should work.

BTW - just to explain it a little bit better: The sensors have their actual sensing element right at the tip, so by maintaining metal-to-metal contact at that tip you can get a very accurate reading of the tube temperature, and if you position it towards the "upstream" end of the tube you will see the temperature of the fluid in the tube. The supplied insulating sleeve helps keep ambient conditions (wind, etc) from affecting the reading. I ran one with a datalogger recording for nearly 2000 miles of towing this year, and it tracked within 2° of the actual fluid temperature in almost all conditions.

paulb
11-09-2011, 12:27 PM
Cool idea! We are going to do ISSPRO Performax gauges on my brothers 08. This will make that process a little easier.

Not do derail, but... On the Performax transmission gauge/sensor, the web site says it goes to 180psi. Will it data log higher? My line pressure runs about 210psi.

Thanks!
Paul

Michael
11-09-2011, 12:34 PM
Paul,
Yes, the sensor goes to 400 psi, and will show accordingly on the datalog.