BMW X5 diesel

curtrwall

I had a chance to test drive a newer BMW X5 xdrive 35d. First impression, AWESOME!!!! It has some good power. Anyone know anything about them? I've had a couple BMW's myself and a few in the family. All were great cars but none diesels.

I remember reading something about the trans and transfer case... I can't remember the problems though.

What do you want to know?

If you like the 335d and X5 xdrive 35d, BMW has hinted at working on an M5 (ya thats M5) with a diesel and triple turbochargers. One of the turbos being run with an electric motor. Instant and constant boost anyone? We'll see what happens. Even if a car like that came to fruition we probably wouldn't see it in the U.S..

Last edited:
An M5 diesel would be SICK!!

The X5d just happened to be the loaner car the dealer was using. I was thinking about trading the wife's Tahoe in on it. With the xdrive I'm sure it would be great in the winter too. I was just curious if anyone else had experience with them?

I have a long review coming. We bought a 2011 a few months ago. This is an incredible machine. Pics and all to follow soon.

I have a long review coming. We bought a 2011 a few months ago. This is an incredible machine. Pics and all to follow soon.

I look forward to it!!!! They are incredible!

Here's a vid just for fun that I found YouTube surfing.....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O1T4WGxCNk&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O1T4WGxCNk&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

An M5 diesel would be SICK!!

The X5d just happened to be the loaner car the dealer was using. I was thinking about trading the wife's Tahoe in on it. With the xdrive I'm sure it would be great in the winter too. I was just curious if anyone else had experience with them?

It would be sick indeed. My mouth is watering over the new F10 M5, so a triple turbo diesel M5 would blow my mind (if we could get it in the U.S.).

I guarentee the X5d would be great in the winter. I live in Michigan and our 07 335xi handles snow and ice so smoothly is almost boring. I fly by trucks crawling along in 4wd. Point in the direction you want to go, give it throttle to pull through the deep stuff, and the all wheel drive will hook up. As long as the snow isn't so deep it turtles the car you'll be good to go if your a competent winter driver. I love winter with the car, fairly low traffic, fresh snow, some ice and the road is my own personal winter rally course! Okay well kind of, I am still safe concerning other motorists.

Nice! German engineering can't beat it.

Last edited:
So besides a triple turbo diesel M5, BMW has been working on a triple turbo (one turbo being electric) X6 M diesel. A prototype of said vehicle (X6 M) was caught testing on the Nurburgring a while back.

Now BMW releases this vid: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtFkJd8p1qs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtFkJd8p1qs[/ame]

At 0:35-0:36 play time you can see the rear badging, the last letter looks like the lower case "d" BMW uses to signify their diesel powered vehicles.

Here is a little blurb on it: http://www.autoblog.com/2011/12/04/is-bmw-teasing-an-x6-m-diesel/#continued

All I know is I want one!!

ive been looking at 335d's for the last couple of days to buy. i test drove one last year and have wanted one ever since then.. hopefully some day ill get one..

I just picked on up. It is amazing! Great torque, tons of cool electronic crap to play with, comfortable and quiet. Getting 22mpg so far (500 miles) and I don't take it easy on it. Added a tuner box from JBD. Dyno shows 60hp/100tq improvements and it feels awesome. Basically a rail pressure box, took 5 minutes to install and only runs $279. We are toying with the idea of making some small injectors for it..we'll see

I just picked on up. It is amazing! Great torque, tons of cool electronic crap to play with, comfortable and quiet. Getting 22mpg so far (500 miles) and I don't take it easy on it. Added a tuner box from JBD. Dyno shows 60hp/100tq improvements and it feels awesome. Basically a rail pressure box, took 5 minutes to install and only runs $279. We are toying with the idea of making some small injectors for it..we'll see
Post some pics! Does it have the yellow amber Halos or white? If they are yellow you can get the LED Halo Upgrades on BMS or Modbargains.com or Bimmian.com

Its got the white one already. I own a BMW shop too, so this is a great crossover/R&D vehicle...At least that's what the tax guy tells me...
dFgIwRgOVkWtY4nEwFbPKm61PF2fqNl2dS9o5PPCyOQ

q3Bo1mZVPlNWoMXhVqZmfm61PF2fqNl2dS9o5PPCyOQ

Eric, You should get one of the Burger JBD Boxes for it! Or become a burger dealer and I'll buy my stuff from you!

Check my earlier post! I put the JBD on there already. Works great, and took about 5 minutes to install. There are some more sophisticated setups out there that eliminate the emissions stuff, but I really dont want to mess with that on this car.

Nice! Can't believe I missed that! I know I love my JB4 on my 135. I can run the car stock and take it into BMW, or throw in some E85 and turn the boost up on the race map from stock 8psi up to 16.5psi. This thing is such a beast with the the race map and E85.

Yeah, those gassers are pretty amazing. We had a 135 that we autocrossed for a season and it was a blast. Hard to get a lot of front tire on, though. Vishnu and some of the other locals have some beastly 335 gassers that are running 11's on drag radials.

Back