dt466c

horsinaround9

Does anyone know what year the 466 went to roller lifters ?? The thread on here says 83 but alot of people say it didnt happen until the early 90s. Who is right ?? Also is there any better years better than others for the 466c motors to start with ??

I think it was 93 or 94 was when the roller lifters were added. There is a difference in the flat tappet blocks too there is a small lifter and a big lifter sizes. The big lifter blocks may have started in 83 but I thought it was a little bit later.

I also thought it was around 94 when they went roller with big lifters. Isnt that the NGD version also? I guess thats why its also pretty hard to find an NGD with all those options andan MW pump for a good price!

So the thread on here is wrong saying 82 and up c's are all roller motors ?? So the roller were only the ngd 466p motors ?? I can get a ngd motor with a p pump for near free up here but from all I have check into they are very different than the earlier b and c motors and not much interchanges. Different bolt pattern on the end of the crank,different gear train on the front of the motor,different cams and obviously the combination valve cover and intake.

Last edited:
oliver puller I ended up picking up a 560 and hunting down a dt466 for it now. My local club made my decsion for me and will not let a cummins run in a ih lol.

So the thread on here is wrong saying 82 and up c's are all roller motors ?? So the roller were only the ngd 466p motors ?? I can get a ngd motor with a p pump for near free up here but from all I have check into they are very different than the earlier b and c motors and not much interchanges. Different bolt pattern on the end of the crank,different gear train on the front of the motor,different cams and obviously the combination valve cover and intake.

If your getting them for cheap, Ill take one!!! Around this area people think they are made of gold!!!!

If your getting them for cheap, Ill take one!!! Around this area people think they are made of gold!!!!

theres a dairy near by that has some 94 95 ih 4700s with insulated cold plate bodies on them. Bodies are all rotted to hell so they are selling them and buying new trucks little by little. I know they have one there for sale now that runs and drives. A guy at work grabbed the last one running and driving for 200. He sold the nose and a few odds and ends and still made a GOOD profit scrapping it. I know that one had a issue..using coolant if I remember right. But still for 200 bucks how can you go wrong ??? I wish I knew he was scrapping it at the time or I would of grabbed the motor. If you are serious I can call and find out how much they are looking for, for the truck they are selling now. I know it will be more than the other one cause they said it was nicer but Iam sure it will still be cheap. Let me know if your interested and I can find out more.

theres a dairy near by that has some 94 95 ih 4700s with insulated cold plate bodies on them. Bodies are all rotted to hell so they are selling them and buying new trucks little by little. I know they have one there for sale now that runs and drives. A guy at work grabbed the last one running and driving for 200. He sold the nose and a few odds and ends and still made a GOOD profit scrapping it. I know that one had a issue..using coolant if I remember right. But still for 200 bucks how can you go wrong ??? I wish I knew he was scrapping it at the time or I would of grabbed the motor. If you are serious I can call and find out how much they are looking for, for the truck they are selling now. I know it will be more than the other one cause they said it was nicer but Iam sure it will still be cheap. Let me know if your interested and I can find out more.

Those 94-95 trucks should be a big bore Roller lifter engines with the MW pump (Which is exactly what I am looking for). But it seems with out knowing the numbers on the engine and possibly tearing the motor down, its not an exact science. Ive heard all kinds of things of people buying NGD's and it having small bores and the like.

My plan is to find a MW pumped roller lifter/Big bore engine, take off the MW and swap in a 13mm pump set up for the RPM I want to run, rod bolts and a big turbo and that should get me a fun puller until I can throw some money into the high $$$ parts!

Needless to say, it should get realy interesting whn I stuff it into a 93 Dodge open drive line truck!

So a 93 to 95ish NGD gave both roller big bore roller lifters, and a p-pump and that would be the optimal engine to start with?

The ngd actually was produced up until sometime in 97. It would make an expensive puller, mainly because the 466c has such big aftermarket support in pulling.

yea and from what I have been told most everything is different. Bolt pattern on the end of the cranks is different, timing covers wont interchange,cam rotates backwards compared to the earlier motors etc etc.

So now another question......whats the difference between a DT 466 and a DT 530?

Just different liners/pistons? Seems like most things interchange, and if Im going to be buying a motor, might as well be on the look out for a little extra cubes!

Iam not sure. I always thought it was pistons and liners but Iam almost 100 percent sure that I read that no one builds them because of the pin height. So if the pin height is different in the piston it must be a different stroke. I know people have asked about building them over on pulloff but I cant seem to find the thread saying why they dont work out.

The DT466C was made up to '93. The above like was a good one and was bookmarked. I've got one for a project of mine (photos in my webshots). The MW pump will be replaced and it'll be twined. But, the roller lifter DT466C's seem to be the hot ticket for mods.

Heath

Back