PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Brake: Which is best?

SEOHPowerstroke
11-10-2011, 09:35 AM
I have an 09 GMC 3500 CC DRW and I tow 25000# most of the time. I realize I am overloaded as per truck specifications, but I'd rather beef this truck up a bit to handle the load as to lose my ride and cab comfort when switching to a F-450.

I have plenty of power to tow the weight. However,stopping it is the present issue. I've looked into exhaust brakes and the electronic brake from Banks seems to be the best product based on what I've read, but I also know Banks is second to none in the advertising and marketing department. I just wondered if anyone out there towing similar weight has tried any of the products available.

Thanks in advance.

phale
11-10-2011, 01:52 PM
The exhaust brake option can be turned on via EFI Live. I am sure your tuner can set it up for you. It uses the variable vanes just like the banks but will only cost you what your tuner charges to modify the file if they charge anything.

BluegrassDiesel
11-10-2011, 01:56 PM
The exhaust brake option can be turned on via EFI Live. I am sure your tuner can set it up for you. It uses the variable vanes just like the banks but will only cost you what your tuner charges to modify the file if they charge anything.

X2. I have the exhaust brake function tuned into my 07 LMM. It works pretty well, especially if you manually downshift it.

phale
11-10-2011, 04:16 PM
Yep, keep the revs above 2500 and feels like you are dragging an anchor.

keifferscummins
11-10-2011, 08:38 PM
if you need an after market brake bakes is the best I know of I run a bakes one an 01 cummins and had a BD witch sucks and then a packbrake like better on 96 Dad runs a jacobs from cummmins love the banks best

SEOHPowerstroke
11-11-2011, 08:09 PM
if you need an after market brake bakes is the best I know of I run a bakes one an 01 cummins and had a BD witch sucks and then a packbrake like better on 96 Dad runs a jacobs from cummmins love the banks best

Banks is what I'm gonna go with. It seems to be the best way to go. EfiLive's brake isn't as reliable and user friendly. The Banks brake does everything for you, you just select a mode, (low, medium or high) which is good for me. I tow alot of weight and too much brake could cause a jacknife on wet pavement, but with the Banks brake I can select a lower amount of brake. EfiLive would be the same all the time. Also it's plug and play instead of adding a butterfly valve like some of the other options.

Thanks for the comments.