PDA

View Full Version : HO110 Eaton Axle... Go or no?

deerefanatic
11-20-2011, 09:41 PM
I've been doing some reading about how guys have a rough time keeping D80's, AAM's and the like alive behind 2wd pullers due to all the stress being on the rear axle by itself..... Doing some research, guys seem to think the HO110 axle would be a bulletproof option due to the heavy construction..... I'm now kicking myself HARD in the A$$ because I scrapped one of these 2 weeks ago, thinking it was old and worthless! :doh:

Do you guys think it'd be worth trying to get it back from the scrapper? I'm sure it's Looooonnnnnnnggggg gone by now, but I'll check anyway.

That being said, my chassis is a 1950 Chevy 2 ton. The 1.5 tons had the HO110, and the 2 speeds got a rear end that looks similar, but has better brakes and a dual reduction two speed in it. Here's a break down of what it looks like internally: 1948-51 Chevy Truck Shop Manual (http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1948_51truck/51ctsm0428.htm) It doesn't have the 3rd pinion bearing or thrust button, but with the large second reduction stage, I'd think it'd be pretty dang tough.... It's a 6.13/8.10 ratio axle.

Just thinkin aloud here.

Carbon
11-20-2011, 09:49 PM
im impressed w/ someone breakin a d80, dont mean to hijack but whats breaking on the 80s? I guess this is for big boys makin hp numbers close to 4 digits, what axle do they use in the 9 second trucks, i would think the super sticky track and slicks would be just as bad as sled pullin right?

PTPULLINCHASSIS
11-20-2011, 09:59 PM
im impressed w/ someone breakin a d80, dont mean to hijack but whats breaking on the 80s? I guess this is for big boys makin hp numbers close to 4 digits, what axle do they use in the 9 second trucks, i would think the super sticky track and slicks would be just as bad as sled pullin right?

Sled pulling is a lot harder on the rear end than drag racing.

PTPULLINCHASSIS
11-20-2011, 10:03 PM
I don't think the ho110 will hold up much better than a built dana 80 or 11.5 aam. If I'm not mistaken I think the ho110 has a small pinion shaft and possibly small axles also.

deerefanatic
11-20-2011, 10:30 PM
Here's the HO110 info I've found so far:

12.25" ring gear
3 pinion bearings
thrust button
1 5/8, 10 spline axles
don't know about pinion shaft size.....

deerefanatic
11-20-2011, 10:35 PM

Lynn, (Fireman450) is breakin em......... 2wd pullin puts 2x the stress on a rear end that 4x4 does for the simple reason all the power is going through 1 rear end.......

Seems like R&P's go bye bye.........

kino_fab
11-20-2011, 11:03 PM
exactly. we went thru 3 ring and pinion sets, a carrier, and numerous axle shafts with the D80 in 2 seasons with Lynn's 2wd and that was back when it had maybe 4-500hp. Now with it running better than ever, the D80 wouldn't last 2 hooks at a time. It now has an old GM 2.5 ton axle 6 lug. Not sure exactly what it is though.

deerefanatic
11-21-2011, 06:47 AM
Hmm....... Very well could be an HO series Eaton.......... Got pics?

kino_fab
11-21-2011, 01:47 PM
here is a facebook link to the pics Incompatible Browser | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?set=a.463175506964.251284.575116964&type=3)

Fireman450
11-21-2011, 01:49 PM
Ill see if i can dig some up. Mine is just a single spd with a 5.17 gear. Has a rear cover but is a front load style axle. If i cant find any ill take some this weekend when i get some time off work.

As for what fails in the D80... Ive broke just about everything..lol as Kino fab said above. There on the last i was happy if i could get 3-5 hooks from a R&P or an aftermarket axle.

deerefanatic
11-21-2011, 02:30 PM
Ouch! Not cool.... I may just HAVE to stick to big truck stuff.......

Here's a good question. Does a guy HAVE to stay with an F106 or SQHD? Wouldn't ANY semi rear be strong enough for our use? I can probably scab a semi rear for reasonable money... And it'd have the 10 lug wheels I want.

kino_fab
11-21-2011, 06:59 PM
That is what we use to do in the gasser 2wd classes. Just find any 2.5 or even 5 ton rear axle, 6 or 10 lug That has the gear ratio you want, and has a pinion and axles big enough to handle the abuse. Although the F106 is about the smallest you can go that will hold up good, yet have the least amount of rotational mass/weight. Not sure on a SQHD. As for rims, we make our own for classes that require one tire only. Just order some blank rims from Diamond Racing, or just cut out the center in some old steel rims, cut the center out of a 19.5 or 22.5. Mill the big truck center to fit snuggly with a convertional lathe or a brake rotor lathe. Set the backspacing you want, then weld the centers to the rim blank. They may not be balanced good, but who cares on a pull truck.

2wpuller
11-21-2011, 07:44 PM
A SQHR will work just peachy that is what we have in our 2wd with planiteries.
What have you been up to Lynn.

Dale

deerefanatic
11-21-2011, 09:12 PM
Where did you get the planetaries? It seems from what I've heard that they really help with axle strenght by lowering the strain on the ring/pinion/axle shaft.....

I think for the first season, I'm going to keep the HP down and I've got some ideas to beef this corporate 14 GM axle..... Work the bugs out of the chassis/body/clutch/tranny (and body work) then maybe next winter work on more power and bigger rear axle.... I'll make sure when I get my driveshaft made that it's 2 piece, seperately balanced, so when time comes to switch axles, just get a new rear shaft......

It's lookin like for season 1, I'll be running a maxed out VE with big sticks on the ol girl... Course, enough power can be built on those to blow stuff up. LOL Then prolly do P pump and bigger axle (and clutch) at a later date.

Fireman450
11-22-2011, 01:00 AM
A SQHR will work just peachy that is what we have in our 2wd with planiteries.
What have you been up to Lynn.

Dale

Been Living at work Dale... Ill call ya in the next day or so.

2wpuller
11-22-2011, 06:10 PM
Lynn sound good.

Matt Just a thaut but you will be money a head some time by going with the bigger drive train first.Lynn and a lot of puller found this out the hard way I know I shure as hell i did.That is why we went with the big drive train.Now working out alot of the other big bugs like a onboard fire putter outer system :doh: wouldn't you say Lynn.I still don't have a Vidio of owensville yet have got a hold of of the guy that has it.

Dale

Fireman450
11-23-2011, 12:10 AM
Lynn sound good.

Matt Just a thaut but you will be money a head some time by going with the bigger drive train first.Lynn and a lot of puller found this out the hard way I know I shure as hell i did.That is why we went with the big drive train.Now working out alot of the other big bugs like a onboard fire putter outer system :doh: wouldn't you say Lynn.I still don't have a Vidio of owensville yet have got a hold of of the guy that has it.

Dale

Some bad news there on the Vid Dale. My buddies phone got wiped out shortly after that before he was able to get it uploaded ... :bang Sounds like our luck... :kick:

1-5-3-6-2-4
11-23-2011, 12:46 AM
Does anyone use the Dana135 rear out if the F550 trucks?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

deerefanatic
11-23-2011, 08:50 AM
That's an interesting option. Prolly mini-10 lug? And of course, with juice brakes.. Sounds like a good option.

1-5-3-6-2-4
11-23-2011, 09:42 AM
its a 26,400lb gvw class 5 diff. yep mini 10 lug. big disks. ring and pinion and carrier are unitized, as in ring gear is solid and forms 1/2 of carrier. not bolted to carrier. ratios from 3.31 to 6.50.

I put a D110 and super60 in my F350 and its a massive rear diff itself. The D130 uses the same houseing, just slightly bigger 3rd member and axle shafts.

These have to be getting pretty common around the wreckers and used, with the amount of those 450/550 cab and chassis trucks on the road. I would say its a solid option. they dwarf D80's.

kino_fab
11-23-2011, 01:18 PM
I used to make the S110 and S130 ring and pinions at Dana Corp here in Glasgow. They would probably hold up better than a D80, but I believe they would still be prone to breakage. The pinion shafts would probably be the first to go.

Fireman450
11-24-2011, 12:41 AM
I used to make the S110 and S130 ring and pinions at Dana Corp here in Glasgow. They would probably hold up better than a D80, but I believe they would still be prone to breakage. The pinion shafts would probably be the first to go.

The good ol days... bahhahaha Thats one thing we saw enough of.