PDA

View Full Version : Smarty ERROR 14

JasonCzerak
11-24-2011, 04:29 PM
I'll send an email to Bob as well. However maybe someone has an idea.

I'm going to try a new cable for the smarty today, a friend is local-ish and has it with him in his truck. I do kind have it twisted up a little. maybe a broke a wire in it?. possible.

I made 4 tune changes today, washed the truck. Went to put 1.6 on since I think I solved my rattle issues and I get ERROR 14 before even 1% shows on the programming.

When programming with the 1.6 software, it will think I have the key off when it is in fact on. Takes a little longer checking software and error before showing 1%.

With the recovery file it it realizes the key is on and it fails with error 14.

I hear a few extra dings when the key is turned on.

I'm in process letting it sit with the key on for an hour. I've tried a 10 minute version and the wait to start light came on and went off as it should when it's near 60 degrees out.

I've never needed to pull any fuses while programming, ever. Voltage on my stereo capacitor shorts 13.5-13.7. I'll try pulling fuses as well for giggles.

no abnormal flashing of anything on the dash other then the extra dings.

i'll clean out the ODBII port and use some dielectirc grease.

Other Ideas?

If my ECM is fried. Procedure to move what is most likely a vin locked smarty to the new ecm if a cummins npower has one for me tomorrow?

haloman
11-24-2011, 04:31 PM
Have you unhooked your batteries and hooked them back up?

Scooter's Roofing
11-24-2011, 04:34 PM
I've honestly never seen disconnecting the batteries cure anything on a Cummins. :o

JasonCzerak
11-24-2011, 04:40 PM
I've tried it for 10 minutes, didn't work. trying it again for a loner period.

Forest, hosed ECU ya think? Got any 04.5's on hand?

haloman
11-24-2011, 04:47 PM
I've honestly never seen disconnecting the batteries cure anything on a Cummins. :o

I would normally agree but I have seen it fix a similar problem on a buddys truck in person.

morkable
11-24-2011, 04:55 PM
I had an issue a few years ago with a diablosport tuner that was fixed by unhooking the batteries... Jason, after you unhook them, (make sure completely unhooked) touch the positives to ground,, should discharge any capacitors in there... I would really doubt your ecm is fried...

Scooter's Roofing
11-24-2011, 06:08 PM
I hope it works. I guess they can get kinda hung up mid-flash. I've just never had one saved by the power reset trick.

Fords yes, but never a Cummins. I hope it works out for you.

And no, I don't have any 04.5's. That's the hardest ECM to find IMO. 05 a close runner up

JasonCzerak
11-24-2011, 06:20 PM
none of the suggested tricks worked... I looked over the ODBII plug and it looks fine, all the wires are tight and secure. added a little dielectric grease and nothing.

going to remove the recovery file and put the 1.5b file back on the smarty and see what happens with that.

I'm not sure as I set it and left, but I don't think this thing even started the program much. but I do have a no start situation.

I'll pull the plugs on the ECU tomorrow and inspect everything there. Then it's time to call a tow truck to move it 4 foot to the left.

Forest, Will an 05 ecu drop right in with out issue? If so, can I barrow one for a day?

Scooter's Roofing
11-24-2011, 06:41 PM
nope... has to be 04.5 :(

JasonCzerak
11-24-2011, 06:57 PM
put 1.5 on the ssr. Can't read codes.. keeps thinking the key is off. possibly a problem with the ECU not being programmed right?

Also, with 1.5 (vs the recovery file with error 14). I just get a communication error while trying to program. it realized the previous program failed and I'm assuming its trying to make it go back to stock.

Next step is to unplug/replug the ECU in and inpect them wires. I'm out of ideas unless bob has ideas, short of getting a new ECU.

homewrecker
11-24-2011, 07:01 PM
Try pulling the abs fuse and retry downloading if you havent already. I read something similar to this happening and this fixed it.

tapatalking from droidx

JasonCzerak
11-24-2011, 07:04 PM
ABS fuse out... airdog hasn't clicked on on it's own to warrant unplugging that.

homewrecker
11-24-2011, 07:10 PM
Got a battery charger? Just throwing ideas out

tapatalking from droidx

JasonCzerak
11-24-2011, 07:28 PM
new batteries.. had it on the charger too while trying to program.

Bob Wagner
11-24-2011, 07:44 PM
The 04.5 and 05 ecm's are the same and you can use the recovery program to get the 05 to work.

The strange part to me is washing the truck and then having this problem start.

Sounds like something shorted out. You did change out a lot of sensors .

error 14 is a no communication to the ecm.

Hope this helps

Scooter's Roofing
11-24-2011, 07:47 PM
If it got hung up mid flash, it will be in recovery mode. If it's repeatedly unable to communicate with the key on, there's nothing coming across the communication writes. I'm guessing dead ECM :(

Not a common occurence, but I've had it happen on an 03 Ecm one. It was a used unit that I had flashed at leat 60 times myself. No telling what the history was on it before I got it.

Scooter's Roofing
11-24-2011, 07:49 PM
The 04.5 and 05 ecm's are the same and you can use the recovery program to get the 05 to work.

The strange part to me is washing the truck and then having this problem start.

Sounds like something shorted out. You did change out a lot of sensors .

error 14 is a no communication to the ecm.

Hope this helps

We were never able to get an 05 ecm to work. It would take the program and start and run, but it's as if there was no APPS. Idle only. But we could very well have been doing something wrong.

duck_04
11-24-2011, 07:50 PM
We were never able to get an 05 ecm to work. It would take the program and start and run, but it's as if there was no APPS. Idle only. But we could very well have been doing something wrong.
IIRC 04.5's had the APPS and 05's didn't.

Bob Wagner
11-24-2011, 08:20 PM
The 05 ecm will work with the correct recovery installed. Jason has the correct recovery for his truck.

JasonCzerak
11-24-2011, 08:25 PM
thought the 05 apps was there, just moved into the cab at the peddal

Bob, will i have a locked out smarty if i swap ecu's? it never got to stock as far as i can tell. or is that part of the function of the recovery program?

Forest, got a hookup on an 05 ecu? if theres a differance for transmissions, manual.

Joesixpack
11-24-2011, 08:27 PM
The wet down is suspect, I'd clean that ground near the drivers battery. The one from the ecm to the fender.

JasonCzerak
11-24-2011, 08:36 PM
this truck says clean.... not sure why this wash mattered. :(

duck_04
11-24-2011, 08:37 PM
thought the 05 apps was there, just moved into the cab at the peddal

Bob, will i have a locked out smarty if i swap ecu's? it never got to stock as far as i can tell. or is that part of the function of the recovery program?

Forest, got a hookup on an 05 ecu? if theres a differance for transmissions, manual.
I meant the head mounted APPS sensor.

The recovery file should overwrite the ECM.

JasonCzerak
11-24-2011, 08:43 PM
I meant the head mounted APPS sensor.

The recovery file should overwrite the ECM.

i get the overwrite part. ohhh wait. the recovery file writes my vin to the ecu right? that solves the vin locked smarty question if thats the case.

duck_04
11-24-2011, 08:44 PM
i get the overwrite part. ohhh wait. the recovery file writes my vin to the ecu right? that solves the vin locked smarty question if thats the case.
correct. thats why recovery files are vin specific.

JasonCzerak
11-24-2011, 08:45 PM
ahh perfect.

Hammer
11-24-2011, 10:16 PM
Best idea for any 04.5-05 owner to do is to wire a second OBDII port directly into the ECM and eliminate any chances of outside wiring interference when you do any kind of Smarty upgrade.

Even if you run an aftermarket fuel system wired as a standalone the factory fuel pump breaker/fuse needs removed when you do any Smarty upgrades with the 04.5-05.I also removed the one for my grid heaters,nitrous system and train horns as I do not ever want to see that error on my truck again.Happened to me twice and about left me stranded.I am convinced its a wiring feedback issue that causes it and on mine it still did it after I cleaned all the grounds and added an extra on to the motor.

Snedge and LReiff were the ones who suggested the second OBDII port and I am going to have the truck outfitted with it asap.

JasonCzerak
11-25-2011, 01:55 PM
I've been trying to figure out for years now what is collecting at the bottom of the fan plug. it's coolant I'm fairly certain as that's the only fluid that SLOWLY disappears Never any in oil reports.. Crank sensor plug looks dry.

hmmmm.

Chris Mallett
11-25-2011, 02:15 PM
Jason, I have seen once I had to unplug the engine harness with the key on, once I plugged it back in I could hear the injectors clicking. Then I could start it. When it decided not to work it would crank but not start. The problem turned out to be the fan clutch was bad.

JasonCzerak
11-25-2011, 02:19 PM
I've unplugged it, dried it up.... AND IT'S PROGRAMMING!!!!!!

w000000000T!!!!!!11!!!111!!!111!!

Fuking computers.

I think it's time for electric fans..... I've been itching for a reason to pull that POS in the way mechanical one.

JasonCzerak
11-25-2011, 02:47 PM
here's a silly question. I'm fairly sure I nailed this plug with water. I wash under the truck all the time. If it's shorting something out enough to prevent programming.. what has this done to other sensors that may affect other operations of the truck?

I programmed it back to stock with it unplugged. I plugged it back in, abs fues, battery terminals, etc, etc,etc and programmed 1.5 on the truck with out issue. I didn't start it yet. My assumption is water pooled and hosed things up (pun intended).

thinking until I figure out why coolant is leaking so slowly that I'd wrap it in some cloth

duck_04
11-25-2011, 02:49 PM
I would say if it has affected any other sensors, it would set a CEL

Scooter's Roofing
11-25-2011, 02:49 PM
glad you got it figured out!!!!!

that there is some good troubleshooting :cool:

JasonCzerak
11-25-2011, 02:50 PM
I would say if it has affected any other sensors, it would set a CEL

no CEL ever for the fan clutch or fan speed.

Chris Mallett
11-25-2011, 04:41 PM
When my fan was bad it only set a code once in a while. That is why I beat my head against the wall trying to find the issue.

Chris Mallett
11-25-2011, 04:48 PM
It would throw more trans codes than anything, but you are on a manual ECM and mine was screwing with my auto. Might shift into 2nd, normally would not. May start, may just crank. Amazed to find it was just the fan.

Chris Mallett
11-25-2011, 08:38 PM
Update?

JasonCzerak
11-25-2011, 08:49 PM
it starts and runs on 1.6. i got one tune in on the road. the second one failed! i could read codes and the truck started so i just went home. an hour later i could change the tune.

ill see about the fan clutch removal or replacement

Chris Mallett
11-25-2011, 08:53 PM
Fan clutch is pricey for new. Go searching for electrics during this darkened Friday I guess. I priced a new one 2 years ago and it was around $280.

JasonCzerak
11-25-2011, 08:59 PM
My buddy jason can get dodge parts just above cost for me. but i do like the electric fan approach better

Someone on this site built a shroud for two SHO fans. thinking about that l.

Bob Wagner
11-28-2011, 03:04 PM
SO what was the problem here?

JasonCzerak
11-28-2011, 03:19 PM
SO what was the problem here?

unplugging, drying up with an old detail rag and replugging in the fan clutch connector cleared it up.

However, I had one additional situation later that day were the com error occurred. I started it and went for a spin. Changed a tune after I warmed it up and that worked. Tested that tune and tried a new one again and it wouldn't tune! But I wasn't stuck, it just never could start. I went home and just waited an hour and it worked without touching a thing.

Since then I've made 10-15 tune changes between 1.6 and 1.5 and it's been perfect.

I did run the truck though the car wash again today.... i'll try to tune it when I get it parked in the driveway in it's normal spot for giggles. heh

I plan to swap to an electric fan sometime this winter. So I may just unplugged the fan plug sooner.