PDA

View Full Version : New to Tractor world help and advice needed

Brockkrak
11-30-2011, 12:29 PM
Hello everyone, this board is great. I have grown up running all types of farm equipment, being a auto and heavy truck mechanic, and drag racing. I have always been interested in tractor performance but never knew much about it. I am a International and Kubota fan. I was wondering what performance modifications can be made to increase HP and torque. I am lookin into a International 1466. What can be done? Head work? injectors? Injector pump? Bore motor? Transmission? any websites you all can direct me to for further knowledge. That tractor has 145HP stock. What can i expect i want to notice a big diffrence.

ACFarmer
11-30-2011, 02:55 PM
Just about anything you can think of, its available for those old IH's... What are you wanting to do with the tractor?

Brockkrak
11-30-2011, 04:46 PM
well first i don't know what my hp limit is. i'm not gonna pull with it just use it around the farm but at the same point i want it to be bad ass for lack of a better term. any idea of a respectable HP for one of these? 200-250? will i notice any difference? do you have links to any parts suppliers?

oliverpuller
11-30-2011, 05:25 PM
You can turn that pump up more than the radiator will keep cool. I've head about 200 hp is the limit for still using the tractor regular. The 14XX tractors are also prone to rearend problems when they are turned up. Like ACFarmer said you name it you can probably get it for the 400 series IH engine.

Brockkrak
12-01-2011, 07:35 AM
ok thats sounds good. any need for bigger injectors or the stock ones can handle it? Head work for better flow or are they pretty much at that point? and Turbo stay with stock or a upgrade? thanks alot guys you all have been very helpful

06 DIESEL
12-01-2011, 07:39 AM
The moon is the limit with the 400 series IH motor. If you want to regularly use it on the farm and it be reliable just light tweaking will get you what you are after. If you want to pull it, depending on the class you could spend well into six digits on it, but as little as four digits, depending on the class.

bmarlatt
12-01-2011, 10:49 AM
If you're only wanting a turned up farm tractor just turn up the pump, injectors and head work will only lead to destroying the trannsmission and various other gear train parts. It also wouldn't be a terrible idea to put in a boost gauge and pyro if you plan to do any tillage work. Also alot of IH tractors did not have 466's in them many were 414's. But 200 is very doable with either.

I still hear stories of an IH 1206 Dad used to farm with that required water meth to keep it cool while plowing. They also demoed a Case 1030 with a bigger turbo and cranked P-pump that broke the transmission housing while plowing (That one was set up by a dealer trying to prove it could handle everything their 1206 could lol)

oliverpuller
12-01-2011, 02:38 PM
The 1466 actually has the 436 in it. I agree if you want to do any type of heavy work you dont need to go over 200 closer to 175 would help the life of the tractor alot more. You didnt mention the type of work you were looking to do with it.

Ackerdiesel
12-01-2011, 03:31 PM
My boss had a 1206 at one time that he pulled it was estimated at 1200 hp pulling or 600 set up to plow. Had a p-pump injectors twin turbos dry ice intercooler double or triple disk clutch boost and pyro gauges and im not sure what else. This was on stock rearend and stock bottom end. I can post pics if youd like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while not driving

Babyfat
12-01-2011, 03:52 PM
Simpson's Performance 517-543-3467

ACFarmer
12-01-2011, 05:20 PM
My boss had a 1206 at one time that he pulled it was estimated at 1200 hp pulling or 600 set up to plow. Had a p-pump injectors twin turbos dry ice intercooler double or triple disk clutch boost and pyro gauges and im not sure what else. This was on stock rearend and stock bottom end. I can post pics if youd like

Heck I wanna see pics of this thing!

Ackerdiesel
12-01-2011, 05:27 PM
One of the tractors last rides:

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l601/ackerdieselperformance/8b71cc96.jpg

i dont have any of it in the field but the bosses son said he could pull a 15 foot chisel plow with it and you could watch it as the sun started going down there was about a 2 foot flame comin out of the stack. 1206 ftw!!!

Ackerdiesel
12-01-2011, 05:30 PM
Midway thru its career:

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l601/ackerdieselperformance/a50033b8.jpg

Ackerdiesel
12-01-2011, 05:40 PM
A little more history on the tractor. It was bought new and we have a farm that is hard gumbo mud well ih was doing demos around the time this tractor was bought new on that farm and "bud"(my boss) was talking to a guy during one of these demos that just happened to be Al Cannon (one of international harvesters top engineers of this time) and it started with a simple turbo swap. That was developed by Al and this tractor was the first recipiant of it. Then it gradually changed to the tractor in the above pictures. National champion multiple times. First or second tractor to ever pull in freedom hall in louisville. And it changed the ih tractors in my eyes after hearing its story it still ran fully functional T/A when it was driven in championship. Bud and another local farmer were also pioneers in the devolpment in the weight transfer sleds of today. Even more amazing than this 1206 was the 560 that bud had before it. It was around 450 or 500hp stock rearend just had clutch and all off the shelf from ih parts except pump turbo(s) and injectors.

haloman
12-01-2011, 05:56 PM
Ryan, Bud was the first to hook to the sled at the NFMS. TD25 bulldozer pump worked up overseas and sent back here. Freakin awesome tractor.

Ackerdiesel
12-01-2011, 06:08 PM
Dan on the nfms thing wasnt sure if it was him or jim eblehare i knew he was first or second. And correct on the pump. But its p-pumped now. And i love that tractor. Too bad cody wont build the 806 to continue the herritage

ACFarmer
12-02-2011, 08:56 AM
Neat old tractor and story, I hope to find a 1206 at some point.

cumminspuller
12-05-2011, 03:49 PM
Just from what I knwo about 14 and 1566 and 86's was the rearend's and transmission's were weak in them. I've heard from several people that pulling the motor out of a 14 or 15 and putting it in a 1066 or 86 was more reliable even with being turned up. i'm guessing that is not getting crazy with the turning up part. I've not done this myself so I don't know for sure.

Cool story on the 1206 as well. I saw a few pics of it at the little museum set up at Bowling Green OH last year when I was there. I'd like to have a 1206 wheatland myself.

oliverpuller
12-05-2011, 06:32 PM
Yea the 14XX and 15XX series are the worst out of the bunch. They are two different designs too, the 15's use a planetary rearend, while the 14's use the same rearend as the other 66/86 series. The 1466 rear end is basically the same as a 706 (~70hp tractor) with a few changes, IH did not update it enough to address the added horsepower. These are great tractors but have always been plagued with rearend problems the 145 HP was really too much for hard consistent work. Add in the fact that most of the tractors are usually turned up to over 175 HP the rearends are even weaker after the work they have done.