used pistons

fearthedeere6.7

Whats your opinions on using used pistons in a budget motor build? I have a set of barely used 6.7 pistons that I was going to clean up flycut and coat to use in my puller. Id rather t last but I really dont want to wrap a ton of money up im a motor to be sidelined with a broke axel or burned up clutch. I could really get by pulling it now but it has a decent amount of blow by and dont want to cause any more damage or catch it on fire with the oil.

Nothing wrong with used pistons in a build so long as they arent damaged. A piston is a piston.

^what he said^ if the pistons look good then use them, however if I'm not mistaken there is a slight difference in the 6.7 piston size and a 12 valve bore like .20 or something.

I planed on boreing the block. I thought to go as far as having all six bored and sleeved. Might cost a bit more up front but if i ever needed a rebuild i can just change sleeves. Havent got them cleaned up but as far as i can tell theres no cracks or chip or score marks. Came out of a test engine with low hrs on it.

Boring out a 12v block to 6.7 dimensions might be too much. IIRC, 6.7's are siamesed cylinders, to go that large on that particular bore spacing. 6.7 bore is 5mm more than the 5.9.

What i dont understand is isnt the 6.7 piston bowl centered in the piston? I know a 12 valve is offset

There is alot of high number 12v's out there that are running enough timing to spray out of the bowl. If your not spraying in the bowl, what does it matter where it is?

There is alot of high number 12v's out there that are running enough timing to spray out of the bowl. If your not spraying in the bowl, what does it matter where it is?

i understand that its not necisary to spray in the bowl, but as the piston rises the spray will all enter the bowl evenly right? i would assume with the bowl being in the wrong spot, half the spray would enter the bowl and half would be still be spraying the top? I have no experience, just curious because ive never heard of 24valve pistons in a 12 valve

24v have wide bowls compared to the intercooled 12v. It won't be spraying out of the bowl very much.

Back