PDA

View Full Version : 7.3 Or 5.9

TEICHIN641
07-17-2007, 11:11 AM
I Am Looking To Build A Engine For My Truck, I Could Either Build The 7.3 That I Have Now, Are Swap It Out For The 5.9 After Looking At The Prices On Doing This It Is Going To Take A Lot Of Cash To Build The 7.3 And Get Maby 600hp, Would It Be Cheeper To Do The Swap And Build A 5.9

CumminAtYa
07-17-2007, 11:36 AM
I Am Looking To Build A Engine For My Truck, I Could Either Build The 7.3 That I Have Now, Are Swap It Out For The 5.9 After Looking At The Prices On Doing This It Is Going To Take A Lot Of Cash To Build The 7.3 And Get Maby 600hp, Would It Be Cheeper To Do The Swap And Build A 5.9
The short answer. YES!!

Why do you think most 7.3 guys give up the goat and go for Godzilla? It is the best diesel engine to modify for huge power, period. I think the CR trucks are becoming the way to go. I am just a little guy these days, but my 525 horse was made with about $4000 of aftermarket parts. Not to mention the size of internal parts like the rods when compared. If you have tons of money to build the 7.3 go for it, but if you budget isn't huge....go 5.9 and you won't regret it.

nummit
07-17-2007, 11:46 AM
Do you think the internal parts comparison is fair?
I do agree that the Cummins would probably be the best way to go for big power but since you have two less cylinders with about the same displacement, the Cummins can afford to have bigger parts because there is less of them.
Not that I have any insight on this because I'm no engine builder, but it makes sense to me LOL LOL

CumminAtYa
07-17-2007, 12:00 PM
Do you think the internal parts comparison is fair?
I do agree that the Cummins would probably be the best way to go for big power but since you have two less cylinders with about the same displacement, the Cummins can afford to have bigger parts because there is less of them.
Not that I have any insight on this because I'm no engine builder, but it makes sense to me LOL LOL
Is it fair to match a 7500lb 600 horse truck against a 6000lb 600 horse truck? Fair enough. And the displacement of 5.9 vs. 7.3 is nowhere near "about the same" I am not an engine builder either but if I wanted big power and big strength i'll be attracted to the Cummins first.

TEICHIN641
07-17-2007, 12:04 PM
What Engine Would You Recomend The 12v Or The 24v

I Have 20 K To Put Into Whatever Engine I Decide To Build Up

nummit
07-17-2007, 12:30 PM
Is it fair to match a 7500lb 600 horse truck against a 6000lb 600 horse truck? Fair enough. And the displacement of 5.9 vs. 7.3 is nowhere near "about the same" I am not an engine builder either but if I wanted big power and big strength i'll be attracted to the Cummins first.

Since when are we talking about weight?!?!?!?
And I agree that there is a difference between 5.9 and 7.3 but for this conversation its a ball park close enough.

CumminAtYa
07-17-2007, 12:52 PM
going with an auto or manual trans? If you go auto expect to spend at least 25% of it on the trans. I would go with any of the Cummins engines. Big power has been made on all of them. I would go with either the 12 or Common Rail 24v. Nice thing about the CR's is you can detune it pretty easily. I do believe I read the 12v's can be fabbed up with a valet switch that cuts back some of the fuel or something of that nature.
If you go with the CR, like I said expect a minimum of 5k for a trans, another 3k for dual cp3's, $2k+ depending on single or compound turbos, $1k for some better sticks, Programming, boxes, modules $???....already over half your budget, but I bet it gets you 650+ horsepower with several thousand leftover.

CumminAtYa
07-17-2007, 12:55 PM
Since when are we talking about weight?!?!?!?
And I agree that there is a difference between 5.9 and 7.3 but for this conversation its a ball park close enough.
We aren't talking weight, but I am drawing a comparison of how some people whine something isn't "fair" that was the first thing that popped into my head.

sootman
07-17-2007, 12:58 PM
My CR makes 764rwhp with 4800 dollars worth of aftermarket parts. This is not includung tranny. My wife drives it everyday. I have a single stage 3 cp3 and more rail pressure than I know what to do with. Driveability wise you can't beat the CR5.9.$.02

gstanfield
07-17-2007, 01:01 PM
Just so you know, the 7.3 is pushing .9125L per cylinder and the 5.9 is pushing .983L per cylinder. The Cummins is actually pushing a little more displacement per cylinder.

On the other hand the nline six has a lot stronger bottom end and if you're talking about how much horsepower then it really doesn't matter how much each rod is holding when your crank is laying on the ground under the truck :)

George

TEICHIN641
07-17-2007, 01:12 PM
I Have A Auto Tranny Built Up Allready Spent About 6k On It

jkretzer
07-17-2007, 01:20 PM
www.destroked.com

i would rather have heavier duty parts than more displacement. these arent gasers, rather torque monsters!

Snedge
07-17-2007, 01:23 PM
12V seems to be the hot rodder of choice at this point. Just fuel and air. CR is the new champ but you will need experiance with a multimeter & computer.
The inline design of the Cummins makes it stronger. Period.

TEICHIN641
07-17-2007, 02:17 PM
I Just Don't Know If I Can Bring Myself To Put A Cummins In My Truck
Insted Of A Powerstroke Hm..................................

Snedge
07-17-2007, 02:20 PM
It an international anyway, and ford puts the Cummins in the big trucks. In all honesty you are doing the ford a favor :)

CumminAtYa
07-18-2007, 12:19 AM
Well since you have already built up the trans then you have 20k for engine/other mods? You could build one very fast, very competitive, very reliable Cummins powered Ford (something many diesel lovers envy) and still have some cash leftover for a couple of kegs after you lay the smack down..........

It an international anyway, and ford puts the Cummins in the big trucks. In all honesty you are doing the ford a favor :)
x2 LOL

bdp
07-18-2007, 08:40 AM
Personally I like the CR5.9's, easy to mod, fairly cheap to get gobs of hp, super stout bottom end and tunable for everyday driving. Guys that have PSD's that have not put a 5.9 in thier truck will say its not worth it and that you can get the same power out of the 7.3 yadda yadda, but they have not had one in thier truck so they dont know.

I have a 05 cr in my 02 F350 and its one of the best mods to date that I have done.

TEICHIN641
07-18-2007, 09:21 AM
How Much Does It Cost For All The Parts To SwitcH The Engine

UNBROKEN
07-18-2007, 11:12 AM
Destroked is the only placefor adaptors IMHO...but realistically it's not cheap.
You're looking at around 5G for a motor...trans adaptor, flexplate, motor mounts and PCS trans controller is around another 4000-4500 bucks depending on what you get...plus mods to the motor and labor if you pay to have the swap done.
It won't be a dime cheaper than your other plan...but it can make more power and will be stronger.

RSieck
07-18-2007, 12:03 PM
I know a guy, he's on here...He has roughly $20k in his 7.3L now, ballpark should be upwards of 600ish rwhp...hopefully, but right now we're working on some minor problems, but they just got the motor in 2 weeks ago....FWIW

CookCR
07-18-2007, 12:19 PM
Go with a CR 5.9.
Floor it stage II+
DDP 110's
studs
GDP fuel system
Twins ( could have spent less on a single but like super quick spool up)
Edge EZ
Triple dog
boost fooler
This gave me 639HP, not only that but when i made that on the dyno i had driven it 1200 miles hauling a trailer to get their and another 1200 back. Never any problems, daily driver and it runs good times. Show me a 7.3 that can do that without a crap load of money. Of course the tranny will cost you.

TEICHIN641
07-18-2007, 12:20 PM
I know a guy, he's on here...He has roughly $20k in his 7.3L now, ballpark should be upwards of 600ish rwhp...hopefully, but right now we're working on some minor problems, but they just got the motor in 2 weeks ago....FWIW

IS THAT WITH #2 ONLY, ARE IS IT WITH NITRIOUS

Pat T.
07-18-2007, 03:17 PM
Fuel only.... I'm still wavering between building up my 7.3 or swapping in a CR 5.9

bdp
07-18-2007, 06:34 PM
Destroked is the only placefor adaptors IMHO...but realistically it's not cheap.
You're looking at around 5G for a motor...trans adaptor, flexplate, motor mounts and PCS trans controller is around another 4000-4500 bucks depending on what you get...plus mods to the motor and labor if you pay to have the swap done.
It won't be a dime cheaper than your other plan...but it can make more power and will be stronger.

What your not including would be taking off the $ after selling the PSD parts you have. A good engine will fetch atleast 2500-3k then if you have aftermarket stuff it will fetch some back as well. Richard didnt have much of a motor left to sell LOL.

Yes you can build a 7.3 to do 600hp for around 20k on fuel, 600, 600........

Same money in a CR and you would have twice that.

94ttss
07-19-2007, 05:01 AM
Exactly what Bean said, my swap cost me nothing after selling all my psd stuff,granted I had a lot of stuff. If your doing all the work yourself and get good deals on your stuff you can duplicate my setup for about 15K. Check out my pics to see the outcome.

RSieck
07-19-2007, 09:05 AM
IS THAT WITH #2 ONLY, ARE IS IT WITH NITRIOUS

#2 only, we'll have good numbers for sure this fall once all the bugs are worked out, and get it on the dyno. BTW, this will be a daily driver

Dalpilot
07-19-2007, 09:13 AM
Richard didnt have much of a motor left to sell LOL.

Yet some idiot, (ME) bought it anyway. LOL Is it ok to use :owned: if I :owned: Myself, or am I violating Comp D man law?

HOTROD
07-19-2007, 04:34 PM
Yet some idiot, (ME) bought it anyway. LOL Is it ok to use :owned: if I :owned: Myself, or am I violating Comp D man law? :rules: ... LOL..did you need a anchor for your boat..?LOL

duke1n
07-19-2007, 04:53 PM
Have you considered going with a 6.0? I hear that they are soon going to be competing with the big dog Cummins. They are new motors and just need a little more dev time to be right there on the same level.

DSALRAM
07-19-2007, 06:07 PM
Richard,
You got any pics of yours yet? 5.9 that is.:pop:

Glasseater
07-19-2007, 06:08 PM
the 6.4 should have lots of potential once it gets the bugs worked out... adn the only reason i'm saying this is cause i haven't seen one bad commonrail yet!! and this has piezo injectors which i guess would only help with driveability not all-out performance but whatever

UNBROKEN
07-19-2007, 06:16 PM
Richard,
You got any pics of yours yet? 5.9 that is.:pop:
I put pics of the motor in the conversion forum...nothing has been done yet as far as the swap. Parts are being ordered and delivered...and the motor will be built on a stand...then everything else will happen. I'm in no hurry...I'd rather have it done right the first time.
It's gonna drop some jaws when it's done though....that's a promise.

CumminAtYa
07-20-2007, 01:01 AM
Wow, 20k? I got 75 less on about 4k.:woohoo:

RSieck
07-20-2007, 08:46 AM
Wow, 20k? I got 75 less on about 4k.:woohoo:

Thats prolly total, over the past 3 years of spending on it though. Has bought and changed stuff. We're diehard Ford guys, so whatever it takes right?...lmao:bang

RideIcon
07-20-2007, 12:05 PM
No more choices, just through a common rail 5.9 in there

schmity
09-25-2007, 09:46 PM
I have a friend who had a cr5.9 that was completely stock with 185K. He broke a ring on the #5 cylinder. He had the engine rebuilt at a machine shop. Apparently the machine shop told him that this was a common problem on the CR cummins and it was always the #5 cylinder. Anyone heard of this?

CumminAtYa
09-25-2007, 10:15 PM
That's the first I have ever heard of it.

thetonka
09-26-2007, 08:33 AM
the 6.4 should have lots of potential once it gets the bugs worked out... adn the only reason i'm saying this is cause i haven't seen one bad commonrail yet!! and this has piezo injectors which i guess would only help with driveability not all-out performance but whatever

I have wondered about that lately. Once a few more are on the road and some big power is made with them a swap would be nice, especially since you don't have to worry about as many emissions rules. I would wait until more are out there with more miles, and more upgrades tho.