Chipped Camshaft Journal...

DieselAddict1on

Bought a cam from a member on here used. It is a Haisley (Scheid) regrind. The member told me that "I had Curt Haisley look at this cam to make sure it was ok. He said it looked great." Upon arrival and inspection I discovered the camshaft has a journal with a small chip in it. My question is run it, or will it be a potential problem? I don't want to run into any problems down the road. It's going into a daily driven p-pumped 24 valve.

IMG_9694a.jpg

Problem is nobody is going to stand behind that if for some reason it trashes the engine. I wouldnt run it and would send it back to the seller. Its hard to see from the pic how bad it is and if the chip protudes any

Yeah, I am leaning towards attempting to send back to the seller. I understand that a picture does not really do this complete justice. It is difficult to capture the damage. Going to attempt to measure protrusion tomorrow. Thanks for the input.

If there is an indentation in a cam journal it will run fine. The issue you get into is when you make a dent, the displaced material has to go somewhere, which usually leaves a high spot, which can allow the cam to rub onto the block which will start a very bad thing.

You can have it polished to make sure there is no protruding metal as lond as you stay within spec on journal diameter and there is no protrusion. I still would get a partial refund even if you decide to run it.

Back