PDA

View Full Version : 2010 cummins, H and S tuner

blos101
02-07-2012, 01:58 PM
I'm thinking about buying an H and S tuner with a full turbo back straight pipe on my 6.7. Have any of you guys had any problems with the motors after you do this? Any problems with anything at all? Thanks, Brian

takedown95
02-07-2012, 02:25 PM
I'd be more worried about the 68RFE. I would also suggest you use a high flow muffler like AFE...etc. It gets really annoying with a straight pipe.

blos101
02-09-2012, 06:49 AM
I'd be more worried about the 68RFE. I would also suggest you use a high flow muffler like AFE...etc. It gets really annoying with a straight pipe.

Its got a 6 speed. Yeah I thought it might be annoying being a straight pipe. Could just turn the radio up lol.:rockwoot:

takedown95
02-09-2012, 08:48 AM
Its got a 6 speed. Yeah I thought it might be annoying being a straight pipe. Could just turn the radio up lol.:rockwoot:

True. LOL. I think you will be very happy with the H&S. Don't spend the extra for the Black Maxx. I've had mine for about a year and it was great with a stock truck and better with my modded one. If you want videos of dyno pulls on both let me know.

btw you won't get the mileage gains I did with my '08 though.

Scooter's Roofing
02-09-2012, 08:53 AM

what makes you say that?

OP, your biggest concern is going to be your clutch on anything over stock power IMO

Btp 2332
02-09-2012, 09:48 AM
Xrt pro on 60, 4in turbo back straight pipe, airaid intake works pretty good for me. Full egr valve and cooler delete. I cant really notice a diference in sound with the windows up, when there down it sounds great to me. When I bought it I was around 11-11.5mpg, it stays around 15.3-15.5 around town since deleted. We did my friends 2011 also with exact same stuff and loves his, runs it on 60 and both are auto trans. My other friend has a stick 2010, same stuff except full egr deletes and he runs it on wild with no problems. Says stock clutch will start to slip from 4th gear up if he bangs on it.

takedown95
02-09-2012, 10:34 AM
what makes you say that?

OP, your biggest concern is going to be your clutch on anything over stock power IMO

I've just noticed the closer you get the '11 models the mileage has gone down. The previous post says they went from ~12 to ~15mpg (I'm assuming its a 2010). Mine went from ~15-17 to ~20-23mpg depending on the time of year and traffic conditions. My dad has an '11 and he is lucky if he gets ~13, my friend also has a '11 and has about the same results.

I thought they may have changed the cam between '10 and '11 model years too.

brucer
02-09-2012, 12:46 PM
My flow pro came with a muffler that sounded bad, I replaced it with an Aero Turbine and it sounds the best I've heard. ...I've had aFe before. The worst exhaust noise comes from having a tip on, looks good but causes cab drone around 2000 rpm's.

If I drive slow and steady I get 16 MPG with my truck setup as said in signature.

My EGT's are way too hot in the Wild or Hot settings, I defuel at 1700 all the time. Looking at doing my turbo to fix the problem.

blos101
02-10-2012, 08:32 AM
True. LOL. I think you will be very happy with the H&S. Don't spend the extra for the Black Maxx. I've had mine for about a year and it was great with a stock truck and better with my modded one. If you want videos of dyno pulls on both let me know.

Yeah why don't you send me the links to the vids. I guess the my big thing thats the dilema right now is whether to void my warranty or not....... But I haven't heard of any motor problems thus far I guess. I just can't leave anything alone far as upgrades. I went from 13mpg around town to 11mpg after I put on the 22.5's lol. But I know you have to pay to play.

cumminspullerzj
02-10-2012, 08:54 AM
My buddy has and xrt pro on his 07 automatic and went through his first stock trans but it got warrenteed by dealer after he set it back to stock. But the dealer locked him ou of the ECM. Had to call h and s for tech support but everything works great now

Sticker89
02-10-2012, 09:42 AM
Definately go with a DD clutch shortly after. I didnt have many miles on my clutch when i did deletes and i could slip the clutch on the 60 hp tune. I net the best MPG on the hot tune. No issues with the whole setup in my sig. Make sure you set your defuel levels through the mini maxx too. They have cold and hot defuels. In the summer time cruising around my mileage was around 18-20mpg on the highway depending on how i was driving. around town i was getting anywhere from 13-15 depending on how i drove. Its all about being able to keep your foot out of it.

takedown95
02-10-2012, 01:16 PM
Stock Run:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoCXtaYx-bM&list=UU5-t038FFpKkcAMwVUt52SA&index=10&feature=plcp

Go to about 0:50 and 1:54 in for no power on the H&S. 3:24 for H&S on Wild and 4:08 on Hot.

Modded runs (All on "Hot Damn 225):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTCdUzW4ezQ&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Go to 1:07 in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoM89S8Q3PM&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Go to 1:04 in and 2:15 in

blos101
02-10-2012, 01:36 PM
Just ordered a full stainless straight 5" turbo back exhaust, h and s mini maxx, and h and s egr/cooler delete, fuel rail shim kit....... Can't wait now!

blos101
02-10-2012, 01:38 PM
Stock Run:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoCXtaYx-bM&list=UU5-t038FFpKkcAMwVUt52SA&index=10&feature=plcp

Go to about 0:50 and 1:54 in for no power on the H&S. 3:24 for H&S on Wild and 4:08 on Hot.

Modded runs (All on "Hot Damn 225):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTCdUzW4ezQ&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Go to 1:07 in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoM89S8Q3PM&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Go to 1:04 in and 2:15 in
What else do you have done to your truck. The turbo sounds real good on the hot damn runs!

takedown95
02-10-2012, 01:42 PM
I will hope the best for your transmission. :cheer:

One more suggestion: If you're not upgrading your turbo I would suggest turning the EGR off but not removing it. It helps act as a wastegate for the factory VGT. You don't gain much if anything in my opinion by removing it at this time. Just my opinion.

takedown95
02-10-2012, 01:45 PM
A fully built SunCoast Transmission, Billet Flex plate, TCM, triple disc torque converter, ARP 425 head studs, Max Spool dual valve springs, billet push rods, 120% over CP3, 55lpm nozzles, fuel rail plug, boost fooler, ATS two piece exhaust manifold, Silver Bullet 66mm charger, FASS 150/150 lift pump, cal tracs, S&B cold intake, and a single black stack installed along with a H&S programmer, decked head and EGR delete. ATS Intercooler, GDP intake horn, grid heater delete, and boost tube.

Stock bottom end. Stock bottom end. I'm only turning 3k though. This is about as high horsepower and RPMs I would go with out bottom end work.

Third Truck in. The 68RFE is a ***** to get the converter to lock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5gcnHppjEw

blos101
02-10-2012, 02:11 PM
Well I know I'll probably have to get a DD clutch, but as far as a turbo idk if I will go with a single upgrade or twins. Opinion on a good setup?

takedown95
02-10-2012, 02:29 PM
Well I know I'll probably have to get a DD clutch, but as far as a turbo idk if I will go with a single upgrade or twins. Opinion on a good setup?

Depends what you're using it for. If you're not going to sled pull with it. I would keep the stock vgt and get an out of the box s-400 series turbo and go with twins. Get head studs done, nozzles, boost fooler and a lift pump. The stock cp3 will support up to around 650hp. It would be a nice combination. Fun on the street with the ability to tow, keep egts down and get decent mileage. plus you keep the exhaust brake.

blos101
02-10-2012, 02:38 PM
Depends what you're using it for. If you're not going to sled pull with it. I would keep the stock vgt and get an out of the box s-400 series turbo and go with twins. Get head studs done, nozzles, boost fooler and a lift pump. The stock cp3 will support up to around 650hp. It would be a nice combination. Fun on the street with the ability to tow, keep egts down and get decent mileage. plus you keep the exhaust brake.

yeah def not going to pull this truck, it will be strictly a daily driver/tow vehicle. I used to have a 2.6 truck but sold it and got out.

takedown95
02-10-2012, 02:47 PM
If you can afford it go with twins or I believe Spectra now has a 66mm vgt. I love the rush of a single lighting but I don't tow on a daily basis.

blos101
02-10-2012, 02:56 PM
If you can afford it go with twins or I believe Spectra now has a 66mm vgt. I love the rush of a single lighting but I don't tow on a daily basis.

Ok I'll check it out, thanks brother.

blos101
02-28-2012, 05:28 AM
Well got the h and s tuner, egr and cooler delete completed last night. Next night off the 5" stainless exhaust is going on! Hey is there any reason why the valve cover breather should still be going back into the intake? Wouldn't it be better the plug the intake hose from it and run it to the ground?

takedown95
02-28-2012, 08:30 AM
Well got the h and s tuner, egr and cooler delete completed last night. Next night off the 5" stainless exhaust is going on! Hey is there any reason why the valve cover breather should still be going back into the intake? Wouldn't it be better the plug the intake hose from it and run it to the ground?

I just bought an aftermarket breather from GDP and plugged the hose from the air intake. You may get a warning though since the turbo pulls air from the valve cover to keep the filter inside clean. I haven't had a problem though.

BobSagetIsGod?
03-03-2012, 07:47 AM

I put an open breather on my CCV. Havent had a problem. GDP has a nive little kit, you cn make one too with a plug, a section on oil line and a little filter element. I believe you will only have a problem with it throwing a code if the CCV filter in there is dirty and needing to be changed, because without the turbo drawing the gasses, it will notice the filter being dirty alot easier. I had about 20k on my motor when i put the open breather on and it didnt throw a code for the filter.

blos101
03-05-2012, 06:57 AM
ok thanks for the info guys. My truck sounds like an 02 24v now with the straight pipe. I was expecting the cackle of a 5.9 CR but it sounds nothing like one of those. Crazy

brucer
03-05-2012, 08:12 PM
ok thanks for the info guys. My truck sounds like an 02 24v now with the straight pipe. I was expecting the cackle of a 5.9 CR but it sounds nothing like one of those. Crazy

I didn't like the straight pipe, bought an Aero Turbine and am very happy with it. Before any of that I tried the muffler that came with the flow pro kit and it left a lot to be desired.