trailer tires

zstroken

For $$$ your name here
What have folks had the best luck using for trailer tires?

235/85/16 is what I am looking for, need to be an E(10 ply) or higher.

The only true trailer tires I've dealt with were goodyears. Don't remember the details, but they were the proper tires for a 30' 20k gooseneck. They sucked balls. Bald E range truck tires lasted 6X longer.

I was offered 8 245-??-16 Firestones (I think) off new 1 ton Chevy's for 300.00. I put them on and have had no trouble for 5 years 20k miles. Commonly grossly overloaded.

Last edited:
Yea I have ran the load range e's for awhile with no issue. Not able to find the 16" ones as easily any more though.

I just put new tires on my trailer a few months back. I was told that the E rated truck tires would last alot longer and handle the load/heat better than the trailer tires. I'll look at them tonight and see what they were. Firestone I believe and they were about 1" taller than the stock trailer tires that came on it.

The only downside I remember was that the individual load ratings of the tires were about 300 lbs less, so you could run into a DOT problem down the road.

Dan, get 235/80R16's. They are "trailer service only". The standard 10ply 235's are rated for 3042 pounds. The /80's are rated for 3500 pounds each. That is what I have on my new flatbed. Give them a try. They still run at 80 lbs cold max so they don't ride like a lumber wagon, but give you another couple hundered of pounds of payload rating. :D

Goodyear 159's load range F 110lb tires. This is what are triple axle car hauler has and also my folks big horse trailer have them too. They cost alittle bit though.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Trail-America-Trailer-ST235-80R16/dp/B006KHVXW6"]Amazon.com: Trail America Trailer Tire ST235/80R16: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51rI%2Bubz6TL.@@AMEPARAM@@51rI%2Bubz6TL[/ame]

10 Ply Load Rating: E
Max Load: 3520
Diameter: 30.8"
Max PSI: 80
Unmounted Radial Trailer Tire (Tire Only)

A tad shorter for more fender/bed clearance too.

This in not the brand on my trailer, but a representative of it. If you want, I'll text you the brand name tonight.

Last edited:
I just put new tires on my trailer a few months back. I was told that the E rated truck tires would last alot longer and handle the load/heat better than the trailer tires. I'll look at them tonight and see what they were. Firestone I believe and they were about 1" taller than the stock trailer tires that came on it.

The only downside I remember was that the individual load ratings of the tires were about 300 lbs less, so you could run into a DOT problem down the road.

I've assummed truck tires are just flat out better since they are engineered for a passenger vehicle instead of a trailer. Load ratings are probably a result of under rating them for a larger safety margin.

I should add I don't want to break the bank. I have had good luck with e range truck tires, but have always wondered about going up to an F or G. Friend ran some 14 plys and threw the tread off of them.

Last edited:
Interesting those are a 90psi tire.

I'd never seen them before. I just searched and posted a few examples of the type and size I was talking about for ya. They ride better than 14 ply tires. I have 14 ply tires on my stock trailer and they ride pretty rough when empty. $.02

I bought my trailer here and they sell those type tires. Give them a call and see what you can get set delivered for from them. You can ask what brand they are and then use that info to search for a better price if they are too high on the markup.

Frank's Custom Trailer Sales
(405) 427-3036

8005 Ne 23rd St, Oklahoma City, OK73141

Both my P&J 20K gooseneck and my 5th wheel camper came with Coopers and they are nothing to write home about. The tires on my camper wore very uneaven and the gooseneck wore flat but very fast I would say it has about 10K on it and they are under 50%.

Kumho off the stock trailer. 235/85R16 LR E.

05-23-09_1136.jpg

I had a set of coopers on there too. They ended up the same. I'd not put Coopers on anything again. I've had bad luck with them on trailers and vehicles. $.02

How many miles are you getting out of the 235/80/16 tires Jory?

Can't say. I've only put about 2000 miles on the trailer. I just bought it last fall when I sold my Harley. :(

I'd never heard of the tire size before I got this trailer but I like them so far.

I got a set on for my trailer from Eastern Marine that they had on sale, Carlisle I think. They still are not mounted, but for the price of them I doubt I could go wrong, reviews were good also.

That's the route I want to go Dan, but I have also heard many accounts of guys using a e-rated LT tire instead of a ST trailer tire and going forever on them for a lot less money overall. my Kaufman came with some cheapo load range f's and we tore one apart the first weekend we had it. we replaced it with another generic LT load range e tire since we had heard good things, we'll see how long it lasts...

Back