PDA

View Full Version : New here - looking for more Power

Bruiser09ram
03-12-2012, 06:16 PM
Hey there everybody, I've got an 09 3/4 ton Dodge Cummins, and I'm wanting to do some free or inexpensive mods to increase my power and mileage. I have little experience with diesels, so please go easy on me. :)

DaveMatthews
03-13-2012, 12:09 AM
Hey there everybody, I've got an 09 3/4 ton Dodge Cummins, and I'm wanting to do some free or inexpensive mods to increase my power and mileage. I have little experience with diesels, so please go easy on me. :)

Free or inexpensive- Hate to say it, but those just don't really exist with Diesels...

To boost your power your going to need to delete the DPF/EGR, emissions crap. You can do that with the diy sim's, or with a tuner.

stackx2
03-13-2012, 12:33 AM
The only Cummins you can get away with free or inexpensive is the 1stgen

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

JAWilson
03-13-2012, 12:13 PM
Like everyone else said. Those two words dont go with 6.7s.

Bruiser09ram
03-31-2012, 12:14 AM
So there's not really anything I can do for cheap? That stinks. I think I've heard some things about modifying the exhaust so it's more free-flowing. Is there anything to that?

TMONEYDIESEL
03-31-2012, 12:23 AM
The only Cummins you can get away with free or inexpensive is the 1stgen

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

And the 2ndgens.......

DaveMatthews
04-01-2012, 12:16 AM
So there's not really anything I can do for cheap? That stinks. I think I've heard some things about modifying the exhaust so it's more free-flowing. Is there anything to that?

Yes. But that's not free. Depending on what you consider in expensive it is. You can buy a dpf delete pipe for in the 125-180 range. You can buy a full exhaust for a bill more..

But your going to need a tuner. Best thing to do is get a tuner and delete it. Then if you want more, open your wallet really freakin wide and learn to share its contents..

diesel_importer
04-01-2012, 10:27 AM
Cheapest decent delete is Smart Jr and mbrp 2 piece delete pipe.

Rockwerx
04-01-2012, 10:56 AM

There are a few cheap and easy mods that will help your 6.7 if you have access to a few tools.

One simple mod is to port your intake manifold. Take it off and you will see what you can grind off to let more air into your engine.

Next cheap mod would be to build your own boost tube to replace the plastic one. I used a 3.5 inch pipe but even a 3 inch pipe will flow a lot better than the stock pipe.

You could also build your own stage 1 delete pipe, All you need is a 4 inch straight pipe long enough to go where your NOX filter and DPF were and then weld a flange to it. Then if you did not have a budget for a tuner you could add some resistors to fool the EGT probes. I used 330 ohm when I did this mod almost 5 years ago. At that time there were no tuners out to run code free so many of us would just cleared codes on startup...this worked fine for 4 years until I purchased an ECM tuner that would run code free without clearing codes on startup.

The you could build your own EGR block off kit. You can do it with the correct sized frost plug and put it into the EGR tube. I did mine different but this is the cheapest and simplest way to block it off. This mod will light up the CEL though it does not seem to affect opperations of the engine.

These mods will help get you going in the right direction if you are on a limited budget till you can save up for the tuner of your choice.

If you use your imagination, purchase or get access to some tools, and then do a little bit of work yourself, there are many things that you can fabricate yourself without purchasing expensive parts.

Good luck with your truck!

Rockwerx
04-01-2012, 12:42 PM
One other mod you can do for cheap is to open up a hole on the bottom of your airbox and put a tube going down infront of the fender well liner. This will let more cool air into your engine.

ThatGuy01
04-01-2012, 12:50 PM
You could also cut a small hole in your valve cover (the top, we dont want any oil coming out) to release more of the crankcase ventilation pressure... LOL

Seriously.... dont do that. But good luck with the truck, Lemmeseesomepichtas!

kc04
04-01-2012, 11:03 PM
Just get a tuner and delete pipe. All this air box and grinding intake ain't gonna do nothing. Look on craigslist and find a delete pipe and tuner. Its amazing the power people are making with stock intake, intercooler, tailpipe, and so on. You can nickel and dime it but bite the bullet and do a tuner. Just seen truck dyno 516 with 4in delete pipe and EFI live. Stock everything but delete pipe.

Rockwerx
04-02-2012, 12:30 PM
Just get a tuner and delete pipe. All this air box and grinding intake ain't gonna do nothing. Look on craigslist and find a delete pipe and tuner. Its amazing the power people are making with stock intake, intercooler, tailpipe, and so on. You can nickel and dime it but bite the bullet and do a tuner. Just seen truck dyno 516 with 4in delete pipe and EFI live. Stock everything but delete pipe.

All of the mods I listed do work and do help performance as I have tested them. The OP was looking for mods on a limited budget. Apart from purchasing a tuner you can build a lot of your own parts for very little money.

kc04
04-02-2012, 06:56 PM
OK so on a bone stock truck with no timing fuel etc I don't see where it would even come close to a truck with tune. Youve got to get air out. These motors breath and the stock charger can only do so much. Try taking a sh!t with your pants on and your mouth open wide. Your dealing with the same principle here.

Rockwerx
04-02-2012, 09:54 PM
I agree. The stock turbo and manifold are very restrictive. My truck gained around 10% better fuel economy when swapped in a better setup. Combine just about any modification with more efficient tuning and you are on the right track.

ISBand4BT
04-25-2012, 01:57 PM
OK so on a bone stock truck with no timing fuel etc I don't see where it would even come close to a truck with tune. Youve got to get air out. These motors breath and the stock charger can only do so much. Try taking a sh!t with your pants on and your mouth open wide. Your dealing with the same principle here.

This is great... :lolly:

Farmerbrown
04-25-2012, 03:15 PM
Also add a DIY grid heater delete to the list if you live in a warm climate.

Bruiser09ram
04-26-2012, 03:24 PM
I'd prefer to keep the grid heaters.

coorsman2005
04-26-2012, 07:22 PM
take the dpf off and use resisters to shut the regen off and make it run 10 times better and code free that way for under 20 bucks

Bruiser09ram
04-26-2012, 11:02 PM
Is there a write up on how to do that?

coorsman2005
04-27-2012, 06:19 AM
Yes there is you will have to do some searching . But it has been done and it does work. I will see if I can find it a little bit later.

Gibson
04-29-2012, 12:00 AM
Ding.... Dinnng...... Ding....... Diiiiinnmggg..... Ding..... See dealer now..... Ding..... Ding......

coorsman2005
04-29-2012, 12:29 AM
not sure if i am suppose to do this but i will take the a$$ chewing i guess

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/6-7l-tech-articles/137901-egr-dpf-budget-how.html

its an older write up but dont see why it wouldnt work for you let us know

WILD_PHIL
05-20-2012, 12:45 AM
You could also build your own stage 1 delete pipe, All you need is a 4 inch straight pipe long enough to go where your NOX filter and DPF were and then weld a flange to it. Then if you did not have a budget for a tuner you could add some resistors to fool the EGT probes. I used 330 ohm when I did this mod almost 5 years ago. At that time there were no tuners out to run code free so many of us would just cleared codes on startup...this worked fine for 4 years until I purchased an ECM tuner that would run code free without clearing codes on startup.

Bootleg tuning? Wonder if it would work on a 2012 HO? How hard is it to take of?