PDA

View Full Version : 48RE Trans Issue

D45
04-07-2012, 09:03 AM
Ok.....48RE, fully built trans (12,000 miles on rebuild)

On Tuesday, I had a local shop adjust the bands, change the fluid/filters and installed the new BW #50185 HD solenoid and new transducer

It ran great and shifted very smoothly........until Friday

When I am taking off from a stop the motor revs to about 1,500 RPM and will slowly take off........like it is bypassing first and going right to second gear or maybe even third gear

Whats up with this nonsense out of nowehre?

It starts, idles and runs fine........no smoke and no codes

Could one of the two parts been defective?

Finch
04-07-2012, 02:54 PM
sounds like a solenoid issue, with no low range

D45
04-07-2012, 03:19 PM
How can a solenoid be bad right out of the box, after it was test by BW before it leaves the facory?

duck_04
04-07-2012, 03:22 PM
do you still have overdrive?

Freezingsystems
04-07-2012, 04:33 PM
Do you have reverse? Check the trans fuse under hood and insure you have pore to it. I have had brand new gov solinoids and pt senors out of the box and no returns. Sad but true.

D45
04-07-2012, 05:39 PM
Yes, I still have reverse

When I slow down and come to a stop I feel a "bump" around 5 mph

At a stop, with the trans in neutral I can pull the column shifter all the way down the "1" and the truck has first gear......and I can then upshift as needed

LAmiller
04-07-2012, 05:41 PM
I vote for a bad transducer, about 1 in 20 is bad out of box

duck_04
04-07-2012, 05:41 PM
It's in limp mode. On the drivers side of the trans case unplug the 6 pin(IIRC) harness that goes straight up and down and check for moisture/trans fluid in there. Mine was cracked and was pushing fluid into the plug connection and causing it to go into limp mode. A new VB harness fixed my problem.

D45
04-07-2012, 06:30 PM
All the trans related fuses and relays are fine

D45
04-07-2012, 06:34 PM
do you still have overdrive?

Yes, still have it

D45
04-07-2012, 06:39 PM
It's in limp mode. On the drivers side of the trans case unplug the 6 pin(IIRC) harness that goes straight up and down and check for moisture/trans fluid in there. Mine was cracked and was pushing fluid into the plug connection and causing it to go into limp mode. A new VB harness fixed my problem.

Just checked and inspected it.....it was not cracked and was dry inside

bigblk
04-07-2012, 07:57 PM
trash in transducer

duck_04
04-07-2012, 08:32 PM
Yeah, mine lost overdrive when that happened to me. LAmiller knows his stuff. He built my tranny along with many many others.

D45
04-07-2012, 10:04 PM
This is getting comical.....not really

I drove to a friend house about 8-10 miles away, same symptoms as I posted above

When I left to come home, I now have first gear back! However, now the RPMs rev way up to around 1,800-2,000 before shifting somewhat hard into second

WTF! All this started after I had the solenoid and transducer replaced....

D45
04-11-2012, 11:58 AM
I took the truck into the trans shop today

They took it for a test drive and also hooked it up to the scanner

They said the solenoid was definately the cuplrit and immediately suggested the GM Solenoid conversion

They said the only use the the GM Solenoid on the trucks with the better builts transmissions and said they havent seen any fail or cause any issues

So, I am off to order a GM Solenoid kit!

D45
04-12-2012, 03:23 PM
Solenoid part number:
#26500031BAS

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m251/D45_2006/020-6.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m251/D45_2006/019-5.jpg

Going to take the truck back tomorrow to the shop for the install

zstroken
04-12-2012, 03:25 PM
Solenoid part number:
#26500031BAS

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m251/D45_2006/020-6.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m251/D45_2006/019-5.jpg

Going to take the truck back tomorrow to the shop for the install

I would have just bought the upgraded borg warner one. Nice thing about the upgraded borgwarner one is no modifications are needed to make it work.

D45
04-12-2012, 05:17 PM
I did buy the larger BW solenoid and it lasted for three days

zstroken
04-12-2012, 06:47 PM
I did buy the larger BW solenoid and it lasted for three days

I think you might have other issues, or just bad luck. LOL

D45
04-13-2012, 04:12 PM
I think I do have other issues.......they installed the new GM Solenoild and yet another transducer

No codes and had a perfect road test

I drove it about 15 miles home and it ran GREAT.

Shift points were the smoothest it has even been

Then I pulled into my subdivision and lost first gear, AGAIN

When I am taking off from a stop the motor revs to about 1,500 RPM and will slowly take off........like it is bypassing first and going right to second gear or maybe even third gear, same as before

When I slow down it has that "bump" at like 5 mph, like it is dropping down or skipping gears

Then, ocassionally when I am sitting at a red light, completely stopped, I will feel the trans "bump"

I was running late and couldnt take the truck back to the trans shop........so it will have to wait until next week

Whats the next step? Remove the trans from the truck and inspect everything?

mathews8pt
04-13-2012, 08:27 PM
Possibly the PR valve sticking in the vb??

I would pull the vb and check it out.

I have used quite a few of the borg warner solenoids with no issue. I also have the GM one in my truck with no issue.

D45
04-14-2012, 07:51 PM
I am not sure what the heck is going on......it seems to possibly get a tad worse as the fluid gets warmer

I cannot get the truck in to the shop till Wednesday, due to my work schedule

D45
04-15-2012, 06:25 AM
It's in limp mode

Someone on another forum said it might also be in limp mode, and that it is caused by the aftermarket solenoids I have been running......the PCM/ECM is not programmed to handle the higher pressure ratings and causing the trans to go into limp mode?

The Goerend VB originally came with a stock Mopar solenoid. After I upgraded to the larger BW solenoid and now the even larger GM Solenoid is when all my issues started

Someone suggested this:

Dodge 47RE/48RE Transmission Valve Body Assistant VBA (http://www.puredieselpower.com/catalog/9607-dodge-47re48re-valve-body-assistant-vba-p-32706.html)

Valve Body Assistant:

"This item wires into the computer harness and prevents the computer from throwing your automatic transmission into "limp mode" with higher pressure valve bodies.

When a high-pressure valve body is installed in a truck, the higher governor pressure is detected by the computer and the transmission is put into limp mode to "protect it".
Limp mode causes your truck to start out in 3rd gear and not upshift or lock up the torque converter."

AsTroSS
04-15-2012, 07:01 AM
I have the similar problems, after the oil warms up trans do not change back to 1 gear, it will start with second - limp home mode

So far I have changed the governor solenoid to new style BW and adjust the voltage (I have DTT voltage regulator), still the same prblem :what:

I am looking possibility to run the truck with connected scanner, maybe it will give more infromation

Jballou
04-15-2012, 05:22 PM
I'm kinda new here, but have seen comments regarding Goerend VB and the HD solinoid incompatibility. Seemed to be he only wants the BW stuff.

D45
04-16-2012, 11:32 AM
I called and talked with Craig at Goerend about my issues

He wasn't too confident about the VBA fix or the fact that a check ball inside the VB was sticking or causing an issue

He suggested taking it back to the shop and see if the can check the "desired" vs the "actual" governor pressure, and go from there

So, I am going to try to limp to the shop when there is less traffic......

D45
04-16-2012, 08:32 PM
I wonder for $20 if it is worth changing the output shaft speed sensor.....

D45
04-18-2012, 11:27 AM
I removed both negative battery cables (cleaned all terminals also) from the truck and installed the new Duralast output shaft speed sensor

It uses a 1" deep well socket for install, which took under 5 minutes, if that

I lost maybe 2 ounces of ATF in the process

I also used the APPS reset/recallibration method posted here, even though I have heard this only applies to 2ND Gen trucks with APPS:

FAQ (http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/faq/faq.php?display=faq&nr=128&catnr=7&prog=1&lang=en&onlynewfaq=1)

I am letting it sit for 30 minutes and will report back this afternoon, after some range time at my department.....

D45
04-18-2012, 12:37 PM
Range day got pushed back an hour, so I took the truck for a spin

Still revs very high, to about 1,500-1,600 when taking off from a stop and I have the 5 mph "bump" when slowing down

No codes......time to take the truck in

D45
04-24-2012, 05:13 PM
Shop had the truck since Thursday

They called today and they were again getting poor readings from the pressure solenoid

Once again, they swapped out BOTH the solenoid and the transducer for new units

The insides were again spotless

They drove it all day Monday and it performed flawlessly.......great pressure readings too

Today, the shop owner took it on another drive and it 'acted up' on him, same symptoms I had

So, he rescanned it again and found poor pressure readings yet again

So, off came the pan again.......he decided to open up the transducer, which he said he has never done before

He found a little microchip inside was blown

He then went back through all thr previous 3-4 old transducers.........they were also ALL BLOWN

Why would these keep blowing? He wants me to call Goerend tomorrow and see if possibly something is bad/wrong with the valve body, that is creating pressure spikes and blowing the transducers

mathews8pt
04-25-2012, 07:53 AM
I would think it would be more of an electrical issue if you have having a problem like this. Check all the wiring over really good yet?

D45
04-25-2012, 05:08 PM
I called Goerend again this morning and again, spoke with Craig

I updated him on the ongoing issues and he said the transducers on the 48RE truck do not like ANY voltage spikes, at all

He said to install a completely new overdriver and lockup solenoid wiring harness.....to rule out ANY change of a short, bad wire(s), or a faulty connector

He said the APPS Isolator/Filter would not be responsible for the issues, because it it basically creating another more effective ground

I called the local trans shop and told them to order and install the new wiring harness, which should be done tomorrow

Crossing my fingers......

D45
05-02-2012, 04:24 PM
I picked up my truck today........and it appears to be fixed. They replaced the wiring harness for the overdrive and lockup solenoid and replaced the lost fluid

They scanned it again and everything was fine......the shop owner had it for 4 days driving it around. No issues

It appears the internal wiring harness was bad......I drove the truck home and it appears to be fine!

Total with parts and labor was a mere $200.11

Here are pics of the inside of the transducer, to show where it was blowing at.....you can see the round shiny metal "chip", well after they blow, there is a pinhole in the center of this "Chip"

Hope it is fixed!

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m251/D45_2006/009-24.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m251/D45_2006/008-27.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m251/D45_2006/010-22.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m251/D45_2006/011-20.jpg

Anguss
07-14-2012, 05:58 PM
D45, is everything still working right without any more problems? Low and behold, almost exact same problem here! I haven't replaced the new solenoid and switch with 2nd new one, but my 1st time dropping a trans pan, swapped the solenoid and switch, adjusted rear band, and HOLY CRAP I thought (am still uncertain if I jacked something up). Livid isn't the word for my daily driver, 2 pan drops, fluid, and headache and time spent beating my head against a wall.

Mine is hanging in 2nd gear, and will rev past 3000rpm without shifting to 3rd gear, but it will shift into 3rd and 4th if I let of accelerator completely until it loses enough pressure or something. I can only get it to shift normally if I manually hit TC Lockup Switch in. 2nd gear, and worst is it actually downshifts into 2nd gear when I try mod to hi acceleration. Also presents with a slowing down 5mph slight downshift bump. Tried DTT Shift Enhanser thru all settings and tow haul, but only worsen the amount of let off to get it to shift on its own to 3rd and 4th, ironically it does not do this if not taking of from a stop.... GOOD NEWS IS, 2-3 FLARE IS HISTORY.

Sorry to post on dead thread, but recent and almost identical, and looking to ensure all is good with OP

D45
07-15-2012, 04:47 PM
Yes, after replacing the lockup and over drive wiring harness the issue was fixed

No issues since!

dodge.01grizzly
11-18-2012, 10:16 AM
Im having the same issues, any chance you could fill me in on the exact name or part numbers that you had to replace to get the issue resolved. Im pretty sure i know which ones you mean, but just want to make sure. Thanks

D45
11-18-2012, 10:27 AM
No part numbers, sorry

If you search for "overdrive and lockup solenoid wiring harness".....there is only one of these

Also, those transducers are junk china junk typically, make sure you know what brand you are getting

dodge.01grizzly
11-18-2012, 10:31 AM
ok thanks, what brand do you recommend?

D45
11-20-2012, 01:58 PM
Any will do I'm sure......they're most likely all the same, just different manufacturers

pratherjoe
03-03-2014, 05:10 PM
Someone on another forum said it might also be in limp mode, and that it is caused by the aftermarket solenoids I have been running......the PCM/ECM is not programmed to handle the higher pressure ratings and causing the trans to go into limp mode?

The Goerend VB originally came with a stock Mopar solenoid. After I upgraded to the larger BW solenoid and now the even larger GM Solenoid is when all my issues started

Someone suggested this:

Dodge 47RE/48RE Transmission Valve Body Assistant VBA (http://www.puredieselpower.com/catalog/9607-dodge-47re48re-valve-body-assistant-vba-p-32706.html)

Valve Body Assistant:

"This item wires into the computer harness and prevents the computer from throwing your automatic transmission into "limp mode" with higher pressure valve bodies.

When a high-pressure valve body is installed in a truck, the higher governor pressure is detected by the computer and the transmission is put into limp mode to "protect it".

Limp mode causes your truck to start out in 3rd gear and not upshift or lock up the torque converter."

U can remove your trans relay and install a fused jumper, then the computer can't throw it in limp. Works on 05 and down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blazin Dmax
03-28-2014, 12:19 PM
Did the new od/lockup wiring harness fix it for good. Or did the issue come back? My 06' has been doing the same thing and has popped like 3 transducers.

D45
03-28-2014, 03:23 PM
It fixed it for about a year......I popped another transducer 2 months ago

Been fine since, but still re-occuring