EFI for 6.7 Swap

Tobin

5.7 IDI Powaa!
I just picked up a 6.7 out of a '08 for a swap into IDK what yet. I want to get the engine running first before I stick it in anything. It doesn't have a ECM, but it does have all the wiring. Can I grab any 6.7 ECM and use EFI Live to remove all emissions equipment and the VIN locked ECM? Am I better off running a 5.9 ECM?

I am learning the electronics side of it....please be patient with me.

Thanks,
Tobin

I would advise running the 5.9 electronics if possible. They are more friendly at this point.

You will need a 2006-2007 5.9 harness also. We have done a couple of standalone swaps and can get you what you need to make it work in whatever you want to swap it into.

Well I have to get a ECU anyways, so I can go the 5.9 route, then a harness is only like $250 off ebay.

Do I need to just wire a OBD2 port in and then use EFI live on it? Will it be VIN locked?

Tobin

The security will have to be disabled in the tune or the skim key will shut the truck down after 10 seconds. You will also need a throttle pedal from an 06-07. You can run it without the TIPM using the 5.9 electronics which makes it much more easy than using a 6.7 ecm.

You will need a 2006-2007 5.9 harness also. We have done a couple of standalone swaps and can get you what you need to make it work in whatever you want to swap it into.

So you can either supply or recommend electronics to put a common rail engine in an older vehicle?

Yes, we just finished up converting our prosteet truck from 12 valve to common rail and are in the process of converting an IH MXT from a 6.0 to a common rail. We can supply the OBD-II port and throttle pedal connector to make a 06-07 common rail work in any vehicle and have full diagnostics through the OBD-II via EFI Live. Of course we can supply you with a base tune to get it running or a custom built tune(s) for the project.

Will EFI Live get rid of the SKIM? What is the advantages of the 6.7 ECU over a 5.9 ECU? I don't need any of the emissions, but was wanting to play with the VGT some. It isn't a big deal if I can't keep it since I doubt I will keep the he351vgt for long anyways.

I already have the 6.7 harness, that is why I was wanting to run a 6.7 ECU. Wondering how different the 5.9 and 6.7 harnesses are that I couldn't keep the 6.7 harness to run on a 5.9 ECU? Are they the same connectors?

Tobin

The 5.9 ECM isn't going to run the HE351VE.

And you will need to be fully deleted.

And you will need the 5.9 MAP and rail sensors because they are different on the 6.7. Others may be too, I stopped looking when I found this out.

The 6.7 ECM is programmed for the 6.7 injector fuel delivery curves and 6.7 rail pressures. If you put a 5.9 ECM in, you don't get that and you are somewhat guessing at how much fuel is actually being delivered.

And the 6.7 ECM does injector to injector compensation via the injector codes. The 5.9 ECM won't.

All this is just off the top of my head. I am sure there is more if you look into it.

There are at least 2 different 6.7 ECMs. CM2100 and CM2200. The easiest way is to match the ECM to the harness by the connectors. I am pretty sure your 08 will be CM2100. It has 2 60 pin connectors similar to the connectors on the 5.9 ECM.

PM me if you need more info.

I am swapping a 2010 6.7 into a Ford. I have both the 2010 ECM and harness and a 2008 ECM and harness. I'll be running the 2008 first.

I thought about running the 5.9 ECM and changed my mind when I looked into the details. Of course it can be done. I didn't like the tradeoffs.

Presently the 6.7 EFI Live tuning lacks the 5.9 tuning a bit, but it should catch up shortly.

Last edited:
Will EFI Live get rid of the SKIM?

Yes.

What is the advantages of the 6.7 ECU over a 5.9 ECU?
See my previous post.

I don't need any of the emissions, but was wanting to play with the VGT some. It isn't a big deal if I can't keep it since I doubt I will keep the he351vgt for long anyways.
It would make a decent primary in a twin setup...

I already have the 6.7 harness, that is why I was wanting to run a 6.7 ECU. Wondering how different the 5.9 and 6.7 harnesses are that I couldn't keep the 6.7 harness to run on a 5.9 ECU? Are they the same connectors?
Depending on the year, but they have a different number of pins and at least some are wired differently.

And if you wire up the truck to use a 5.9 harness, you need to change quite a bit of wiring to use a 6.7 harness.

Thanks for the post.

I am going to go the 6.7 route then.

As long as I can get rid of the SKIM with EFI live I will be happy.

Is the CM2200 ECM the newer style and the CM2100 the older style that looks the same as a 5.9 ECM?

I am working in Michigan right now and found a 6.7 ECM at a junkyard for a decent price.

Tobin

What transmission are you mating the 6.7 to?

I appreciate all the help. I haven't messed around with the electronics much so I am trying to learn fast.

Tobin

Is the CM2200 ECM the newer style and the CM2100 the older style that looks the same as a 5.9 ECM?

It looks similar to a 5.9 ECM, yes. The CM2200 ECM uses a way different connector. It should be obvious when you are looking at a CM2200 ECM.

BTW, the CM number is written on the ECM tag. You might see CM2150 and CM 2250 as well. As far as I know the CM2100 and CM2150 ECMs can be used interchangeably.

If you want to know what ECM your engine came with, you need to look your engine up in Quickserve. Its all there.

What transmission are you mating the 6.7 to?
Don't ask. At this point its a bit of a science experiment !

I'm going twins too. My complete engine mod list is paint, studs, twins, 24V rods, plugging the coolant ports in the head and EFI Live tuning. I'm shooting for 600 HP/1200ftlbs at the flywheel, usable all day long for towing.

Which transmission are you going to use ?

Don't ask. At this point its a bit of a science experiment !

I'm going twins too. My complete engine mod list is paint, studs, twins, 24V rods, plugging the coolant ports in the head and EFI Live tuning. I'm shooting for 600 HP/1200ftlbs at the flywheel, usable all day long for towing.

Which transmission are you going to use ?

I am want pretty much the same engine wise as you. For now I just want to get it running and then I will do a couple mods before I stick it in a truck.

For tranny I have narrowed it down to a 4R100 or a 48RE. I am leaning toward a 4R100 built by BTS and the plan is to stick it all in a 03-07 F350.

Tobin

I am want pretty much the same engine wise as you. For now I just want to get it running and then I will do a couple mods before I stick it in a truck.

For tranny I have narrowed it down to a 4R100 or a 48RE. I am leaning toward a 4R100 built by BTS and the plan is to stick it all in a 03-07 F350.

Tobin

If you go 48RE you don't need an engine to transmission adapter. Saves you some $$$.

My 6.7 is going into an 08 F350.

Its much easier to do 24V rods, headstuds and fab up turbo stuff with the engine outside the truck. Just saying.

Are you going to do a build thread anywhere ? I'm thinking I would, but I don't know where. Lots of people have good input when you are doing stuff.

Back