PDA

View Full Version : Dyno questions...

getblown5.9
08-10-2007, 08:29 AM
I was looking at my dyno sheets from back in may, and tho i have a pretty sweet HP curve that comes up and goes flat at 520hp from 2500-3200rpms my tq curve still has a very steep climb, spikes just over 1k, then drops off quick.

Now with a larger single like my 66, the truck drives better and is substantially faster if you roll into the go pedal slow and let the boost build rather than hammer down, flood with fuel and wait for it to spool...which is how the dyno operators ran my truck that day. it was hammer down from 1600 and it just took forever to spool where as rolling into it slowly seems to bring in more mid range power.

What I am asking is if I were to dyno again and had the operator roll into the throttle, could I get a better graph/representation of the power the truck is making from 1600-2400rpms, or will it not affect anything?

Just curious, because I know at 2000rpms when rolling into it on the street I am making alot more power than what my graph shows at that RPM.

dzlfarmboy
08-10-2007, 08:55 AM
I was looking at my dyno sheets from back in may, and tho i have a pretty sweet HP curve that comes up and goes flat at 520hp from 2500-3200rpms my tq curve still has a very steep climb, spikes just over 1k, then drops off quick.

Now with a larger single like my 66, the truck drives better and is substantially faster if you roll into the go pedal slow and let the boost build rather than hammer down, flood with fuel and wait for it to spool...which is how the dyno operators ran my truck that day. it was hammer down from 1600 and it just took forever to spool where as rolling into it slowly seems to bring in more mid range power.

What I am asking is if I were to dyno again and had the operator roll into the throttle, could I get a better graph/representation of the power the truck is making from 1600-2400rpms, or will it not affect anything?

Just curious, because I know at 2000rpms when rolling into it on the street I am making alot more power than what my graph shows at that RPM.

Yeah man, with a big single you cant just flat foot it down low. you kindof just have to roll in to it to get it going then hammer down on it. Usually i'll lock mine up then start to roll in easy from 1600 to 1800 then let it have it once it's started to light. Cause mine will down shift even locked up if i try to floor it earlier. Need to put a 4th gear lockout switch in it. You might be able to start lil sooner cause i think your SB spools a lil better then my PS66

What model did you dyno on before?

getblown5.9
08-10-2007, 09:46 AM
i dont remember the model number on it...

there is a possibility i may get onto dunbars rollers tomorrow to see how little power i make.

getblown5.9
08-10-2007, 09:49 AM
also thanks for answering my question, i am curious to see more what i am making down low then what i can spike when it finally builds boost

dzlfarmboy
08-10-2007, 10:07 AM
Yeah the Dynojet H models have heavier rollers and help to load the trucks better for spooling, and simulate more of a street acceleration.

Ramtd02
08-10-2007, 09:36 PM

Personnally, I would tell the dyno operator too stand by the computer, and let me know when it is good too get on it. They (the dyno dudes), have never driven your truck, so they have no clue as too how the power comes on or the small characteristics of the power modifiers you are using....even guys with diesel experiance out the wazoo. If they dont like it take the cash elsewhere!!$.02

dzlfarmboy
08-10-2007, 11:34 PM
Personnally, I would tell the dyno operator too stand by the computer, and let me know when it is good too get on it. They (the dyno dudes), have never driven your truck, so they have no clue as too how the power comes on or the small characteristics of the power modifiers you are using....even guys with diesel experiance out the wazoo. If they dont like it take the cash elsewhere!!$.02

It's usually like that for liability reason's for the insurance, but you could at least school them on how to make the pull for your setup.

Timbeaux
08-10-2007, 11:41 PM
Don't lie Brett, you just like flogging other people's trucks LOL

Hammer
08-11-2007, 10:45 PM
Personnally, I would tell the dyno operator too stand by the computer, and let me know when it is good too get on it. They (the dyno dudes), have never driven your truck, so they have no clue as too how the power comes on or the small characteristics of the power modifiers you are using....even guys with diesel experiance out the wazoo. If they dont like it take the cash elsewhere!!

Ramtd02...
Tell me something...
Are you some kind of idiot or just one of those know it alls who THINKS he knows what to do all the time?.

First thing to correct you on is the "Dyno Operator" in question has seen,driven and dynoed more trucks than you will ever look at in a lifetime.They are qualified and know what it takes to run a truck on the jet and allow the owner to SIT inside the truck so he may tell the operator how he wants the truck to run.The owner will not dyno their truck on the jet where we dyno for insurance purposes and the meare fact that we move more trucks in and out in one day to keep all the other owners happy.IF we allowed the owners to drive the truck then we would be there all day,cutting the show down significantly and upsetting the other owners who may not get a chance to dyno.

Please,unless you see how we run a show,do not tell me how to do it.

Brett...
The jet in question is a Dyno-Jet 248C and can be load controlled.

TJ....
I am not sure what the problem is with your dyno graph but tell me what run numbers they are on the sheets and I will look them over here and see if I can answer it for you.Also,you do have the option to be inside the truck to tell dave how you want the truck run,its not a big deal.......Andy

Ramtd02
08-11-2007, 11:06 PM
Ramtd02...
Tell me something...
Are you some kind of idiot or just one of those know it alls who THINKS he knows what to do all the time?.

First thing to correct you on is the "Dyno Operator" in question has seen,driven and dynoed more trucks than you will ever look at in a lifetime.They are qualified and know what it takes to run a truck on the jet and allow the owner to SIT inside the truck so he may tell the operator how he wants the truck to run.The owner will not dyno their truck on the jet where we dyno for insurance purposes and the meare fact that we move more trucks in and out in one day to keep all the other owners happy.IF we allowed the owners to drive the truck then we would be there all day,cutting the show down significantly and upsetting the other owners who may not get a chance to dyno.

Please,unless you see how we run a show,do not tell me how to do it.

Brett...
The jet in question is a Dyno-Jet 248C and can be load controlled.

TJ....
I am not sure what the problem is with your dyno graph but tell me what run numbers they are on the sheets and I will look them over here and see if I can answer it for you.Also,you do have the option to be inside the truck to tell dave how you want the truck run,its not a big deal.......Andy

First off there sparky, I sure as hell am not an idiot, nor do I think I know it all.

What I do know is how MY truck performs, how the fueling is set-up, and other general characteristics of MY truck. I dont care how much you think you know about how too dyno a vehicle, I have and always will know more than any dyno operator about MY truck.

As for taking too long to dyno, whats it matter?? Don't most dyno shops charge by the hour? So whats the problem??

When we have a dyno day everyone drives their own truck, that way nobody can whine that his truck would have done better if it was dynoed "his way", and last year about 90-100 trucks were on and off the rollers in about 8 hours.

Insurance purposes huh?? I have heard that before, if my truck breaks in your hands insurance is the least of your worries, if it breaks in my hands, then its my fault-my dollar....pretty simple actually.

joefarmer
08-11-2007, 11:13 PM
I got curious and tried both ways today. Starting at 45mph (1750rpm) and rolling to 100% by 2000rpm and just flat footing it at 1750rpm. Both resulted in the same HP, but the 'rolling into it' was about 10hp less until 2200rpm. Both runs had the turbo at 51-52psi.

One thing I didn't expect is that adjusting the starwheel rearward in the AFC made a higher overall curve with less smoke.

Jetpilot
08-12-2007, 09:12 AM
First off there sparky, I sure as hell am not an idiot, nor do I think I know it all.

What I do know is how MY truck performs, how the fueling is set-up, and other general characteristics of MY truck. I dont care how much you think you know about how too dyno a vehicle, I have and always will know more than any dyno operator about MY truck.

As for taking too long to dyno, whats it matter?? Don't most dyno shops charge by the hour? So whats the problem??

When we have a dyno day everyone drives their own truck, that way nobody can whine that his truck would have done better if it was dynoed "his way", and last year about 90-100 trucks were on and off the rollers in about 8 hours.

Insurance purposes huh?? I have heard that before, if my truck breaks in your hands insurance is the least of your worries, if it breaks in my hands, then its my fault-my dollar....pretty simple actually.

I will give my experience here.

1) hammering a truck or rolling in slow souldn't/doesn't make any difference on the dyno if the truck is setup correctly.

2) Insurance is not for breakage but liability.

3)shops to charge by the hour but at a dynoi event they charge by the truck.

4) 90-100 trucks in 8 hours is almost a truck every 5 minutes, There is no way a truck can be strapped down, sensors for tach setup, 3 dyno runs, and unstrapped in 5 minutes. At the MDTDC dyno events they use a team of guys (6-8) to strap down a truck and it still takes about 10 minutes per vehicle.

I see guys who say they should have done it this way, or it didn't make enough boost, or I know I have more HP than that. But bottom line is a good dyno operator knows what he is doing and will probably be easier on your truck and extract the best potential from it.

Hammer
08-12-2007, 11:53 PM

While one can not dispute about knowing more about your truck than the dyno operator,one will ask how much do you know about how it may perform on a jet?.I am very certain that the dyno operator has seen a multitude of trucks with the very same mods you have on a jet and can get the most out of it.

NOPE...
Each truck is a flat fee and is alot lower than their normal hourly rate.The fee we are charged is mostly a strapping fee and if you were ever here you would know that as when trucks are strapped a second time the fee is lower.The problem with your theory is that by the owners running the trucks themselves slows the process all down and leaves the others outside upest at a chance to roll.

Hmmm...
I am guessing that this is nothing short of a threat then??????..
We have had many trucks break during our shows.Most of the owners have gotten help from those on hand to fix them,haul them home or line up to get work done.Also with that I will ask,since you so eloquently put it....IF you break the dyno,while your driving,since you are the only who knows how to drive your truck,are you going to be the one to repair the dyno?.

Please...
Spare me the bull**** here and lets do our simple math.....
100 trucks divided by 8 hours=12.5 trucks per hour......WITH the owners driving themselves......OMG,Maybe you need to run our shows and I will sit and drink all day then.
So then our best shows(with 6 guys strapping/unstrapping,resetting the oliptical sensor, hooking up exhaust and doing the required computer entry)which averaged about 8 per hour with the dyno crew driving was not up to your professional standards.Please,by all means,come in,show us what we are doing wrong,but,since I know your so full of it your eyes are brown,you will not.

I will ask you what show,along with where it was at,you ran 90-100 trucks in and out in 8hours,with the owners doing the wheeling.Show me that show and I will drive there and watch the ballet in motion,maybe I can see what we are doing wrong at ours that we can only do 120(60 ea day) in 2 8hr shifts.

I'll tell you what....
YOU drive to my Fall Brawl show,I will pay full price for your truck to be dynoed 2times.One time you wheel it and show me that you know what your trucks want on the dyno and the other I will allow my jet operator Dave to wheel it.IF there is a significant difference between the rolls showing you got alot more out of your truck than my lowly,don't know jack about your truck dyno wheelman,then I will eat crow and post it here.IF there is no significant difference between the runs then you get some old fashioned crow to chew on and post here about how off center your comments are about dyno and their operators.....Time to put up or shut up son,its in your hands and all you need to do is show.I pay,if I am right then you will make your comments correct...........Andy

Ramtd02
08-13-2007, 02:41 AM
While one can not dispute about knowing more about your truck than the dyno operator,one will ask how much do you know about how it may perform on a jet?.I am very certain that the dyno operator has seen a multitude of trucks with the very same mods you have on a jet and can get the most out of it.

You obviously have not been too very many dyno shops...not every shop with a dyno claims to know about every vehicle, well not where i am from...but maybe that is because they have more class?

NOPE...
Each truck is a flat fee and is alot lower than their normal hourly rate.The fee we are charged is mostly a strapping fee and if you were ever here you would know that as when trucks are strapped a second time the fee is lower.The problem with your theory is that by the owners running the trucks themselves slows the process all down and leaves the others outside upest at a chance to roll.

was not aware of that, so that is my mistake and ignorance for not knowing this.

Hmmm...
I am guessing that this is nothing short of a threat then??????..
We have had many trucks break during our shows.Most of the owners have gotten help from those on hand to fix them,haul them home or line up to get work done.Also with that I will ask,since you so eloquently put it....IF you break the dyno,while your driving,since you are the only who knows how to drive your truck,are you going to be the one to repair the dyno?.

First, I responded to a thread on a forum asking about a dyno graph, i responded with my opinion, which you just agreed too. Then you respond by calling me an idiot and a know it all. Why would you take something as mundane as what i said personally, it wasn't directed at you as i have never met you, and you are a nobody too me...another reason i would not type that.

[QUOTE=Hammer]
Please...
Spare me the bull**** here and lets do our simple math.....
100 trucks divided by 8 hours=12.5 trucks per hour......WITH the owners driving themselves......OMG,Maybe you need to run our shows and I will sit and drink all day then.
So then our best shows(with 6 guys strapping/unstrapping,resetting the oliptical sensor, hooking up exhaust and doing the required computer entry)which averaged about 8 per hour with the dyno crew driving was not up to your professional standards.Please,by all means,come in,show us what we are doing wrong,but,since I know your so full of it your eyes are brown,you will not.

I will ask you what show,along with where it was at,you ran 90-100 trucks in and out in 8hours,with the owners doing the wheeling.Show me that show and I will drive there and watch the ballet in motion,maybe I can see what we are doing wrong at ours that we can only do 120(60 ea day) in 2 8hr shifts.

I'll tell you what....
YOU drive to my Fall Brawl show,I will pay full price for your truck to be dynoed 2times.One time you wheel it and show me that you know what your trucks want on the dyno and the other I will allow my jet operator Dave to wheel it.IF there is a significant difference between the rolls showing you got alot more out of your truck than my lowly,don't know jack about your truck dyno wheelman,then I will eat crow and post it here.IF there is no significant difference between the runs then you get some old fashioned crow to chew on and post here about how off center your comments are about dyno and their operators.....Time to put up or shut up son,its in your hands and all you need to do is show.I pay,if I am right then you will make your comments correct...........Andy

You must write stuff too hear the strokes on the keyboard.
The show that I was at did not use the optical pick-up, only mph was used, secondly 2 pulls were what you got, the highest was used as long as the dyno was not spiked. If someone actually wanted a printout, then they were left untill the end as this was a dyno competition....not a tuning session.

Now I didnt say I ran the thing....i participated and volunteered were necessary but it wasnt under my supervision...so you might wanna learn to read things as they are, NOT read INTO things as you see fit.

Now why would I come too your event? I have never met you and you tried calling me an idiot, in real life you would never do business with someone like that, if you are like this on the internet, you must be a real douche in person.

Hammer
08-13-2007, 11:20 AM
Now I didnt say I ran the thing....i participated and volunteered were necessary but it wasnt under my supervision...so you might wanna learn to read things as they are, NOT read INTO things as you see fit.

Hmmm....You didn't run your truck,now I am confused.Your bashing of the dyno where we go was all due in fact that you claimed the operator did not know how to properly run a owners truck.

Now why would I come too your event? I have never met you and you tried calling me an idiot, in real life you would never do business with someone like that, if you are like this on the internet, you must be a real douche in person.

The ONLY reason you would not come to my event is FEAR,not fuel prices,not the distance from the place in Canada where you live,just plain old FEAR.What you think of me is irrelevant as its not my show,its my clubs.I only called it like I read it.Maybe if you go back and reread your own words you will see how off the wall your statements are.I am constantly amazed with those like you who never have ran a show,don't know what it takes to make them happen and yet they have all the answers...........Andy

BTW...
All of us watching this thread really would like to know what show you were "at" that they did this 100 trucks in 8hrs deal so we can all go watch them work.

Signature600
08-13-2007, 01:36 PM
Personally...I've dynoed about 4 times...each time the dyno owner ran the truck, and I sat in the passenger seat, or stood behind the truck and gave directions. If they didn't do what was said, they re-did the run. BUT, these owners were car guys, and didn't know much about diesels...they relied on a few of us to hlp them figure out the tricks of each brand/year/etc;)

We normally did about 3 trucks an hour, 3 pulls each, with an optical sensor...nothing like Hammer's shop (which I still want to make it out too one of these times)

Chris

2wd_sled_puller
08-14-2007, 10:13 PM
You obviously have not been too very many dyno shops...not every shop with a dyno claims to know about every vehicle, well not where i am from...but maybe that is because they have more class?

was not aware of that, so that is my mistake and ignorance for not knowing this.

[QUOTE=Hammer]
First, I responded to a thread on a forum asking about a dyno graph, i responded with my opinion, which you just agreed too. Then you respond by calling me an idiot and a know it all. Why would you take something as mundane as what i said personally, it wasn't directed at you as i have never met you, and you are a nobody too me...another reason i would not type that.

You must write stuff too hear the strokes on the keyboard.
The show that I was at did not use the optical pick-up, only mph was used, secondly 2 pulls were what you got, the highest was used as long as the dyno was not spiked. If someone actually wanted a printout, then they were left untill the end as this was a dyno competition....not a tuning session.

Hammer not to take sides here but i do think u dont under stand what he is trying to say. No one in this world knows my truck better then me. No one in this world knows his truck better then him. And noone knows your truck better then Yourself. Personally i agree. Also as far as people being worryed about us breaking the dyno thats why u got to be smart and make the dyno opperater sing a waver like i do. It aint my fault something breaks on there dyno. I cant help they put 20 30 trucks on it a day. So i make them sing a waver.

dzlfarmboy
08-14-2007, 10:24 PM
[QUOTE=Ramtd02]You obviously have not been too very many dyno shops...not every shop with a dyno claims to know about every vehicle, well not where i am from...but maybe that is because they have more class?

Hammer not to take sides here but i do think u dont under stand what he is trying to say. No one in this world knows my truck better then me. No one in this world knows his truck better then him. And noone knows your truck better then Yourself. Personally i agree. Also as far as people being worryed about us breaking the dyno thats why u got to be smart and make the dyno opperater sing a waver like i do. It aint my fault something breaks on there dyno. I cant help they put 20 30 trucks on it a day. So i make them sing a waver.

Yeah but their not the one that pays liability insurance every month for their dyno service. What if for some reason you let them dyno their own truck and they step on the brakes when their spining 70-100mph and snap a strap and throw the truck off the rollers. How they gonna explain that to their insurance company. Some people arn't too bright. So you just can't trust everyone.

Ramtd02
08-16-2007, 01:51 AM
Hmmm....You didn't run your truck,now I am confused.Your bashing of the dyno where we go was all due in fact that you claimed the operator did not know how to properly run a owners truck.

The ONLY reason you would not come to my event is FEAR,not fuel prices,not the distance from the place in Canada where you live,just plain old FEAR.What you think of me is irrelevant as its not my show,its my clubs.I only called it like I read it.Maybe if you go back and reread your own words you will see how off the wall your statements are.I am constantly amazed with those like you who never have ran a show,don't know what it takes to make them happen and yet they have all the answers...........Andy

BTW...
All of us watching this thread really would like to know what show you were "at" that they did this 100 trucks in 8hrs deal so we can all go watch them work.

Fear?? LOL.....now I gotta hear this. What exactly would I be fearful of? I am having trouble, even trying too fathom what exactly i am supposed too be fearful of.:bow: