PDA

View Full Version : Been doing a LOT of reading and...

ControlFreak
05-29-2012, 12:48 PM
would like some advice on my list of mods and how to prioritize the sequence of additions to be made. I have my mods in two phases so my wallet (aka wife) won't hurt too much. My truck is currently stock, 08 quad cab short bed 2500 w/112,000 miles on it. I bought it two weeks ago from a dealer in Northern Idaho. Didn't know about these forums until after, or else I'd've probably bought one from the classifieds here.... It is going to be used for both personal and job related tasks. Most likely won't tow anything heavier than 9000lbs.

Phase 1:
H&S minimaxx
the new H&S pyrometer
dpf and cat delete, keep stock muffler
H&S trans tuning
Fuel plug shim

Phase 2:
EGR Cooler Delete
Boost tube
CAI
Intake manifold
Head studs (425's or 625's, I know this is a running debate as of current. Not cosidering ATS h11's.)
Mag Hytek pan

My number questions are:
1) should I make the head studs a priority in phase 1 or will I be ok without for a while if I'm not hot-rodding?
2) Am I missing anything? I'm not wanting to go extreme, but some extra power and mpg's would be great.
3) What of anything should be pushed to phase 1?

:pop:

M_Thomas07
05-29-2012, 12:53 PM
I thought about doing the dpf and cat delete on mine but it was cheaper at the time to do a full flo pro exhaust.

If you can run a torch you can make your own egr cooler block offs.

ControlFreak
05-29-2012, 12:56 PM
I can easily run a torch, but I have no access. I used to be a welder, but I decided a degree in engineering would be more fruitful? To be determined....

LReiff
05-29-2012, 01:14 PM
I would suggest you make phase 1 - turbo back 5" exhaust, egr delete and minimax with trans tuning. Welcome to comp-d!

ControlFreak
05-29-2012, 01:19 PM
turbo back 5"... how much would that change the sound of the truck versus how much power would it give to the truck? My boss gave me the stipulation on modding my truck, "You can make whatever changes to the truck you want, it just can't look or sound like a teenager's wet dream."

My truck is part of my benefits package and it has to qualify by their standards. That's why it's white.... It will soon have my company's logo on it as well so it will be representing our company as an image. So I don't want to make it scream, but if you don't think it's too extreme I'll put it on the list.

LReiff
05-29-2012, 01:36 PM
The variable turbo on the 6.7s quiets them down quite a bit even when straight piped. If you want it as quiet as stock in the cab put a 4' big rig muffler on it.

huntduck
05-29-2012, 01:55 PM
I have a 2011 6.7 that was deleted at close to 6000 miles on it. Did H&S blackmaxx w/pyro, boost tubes, cooler delete, maxx flow intake, a 5"tbe, and afe megacannon intake. All at once have over 12500 miles now with some hotrodding. Runs good no head gasket yet. I also did trans tuning from H&S. That to me helped the trans. I wait til its up to operating temps before a stand on the ole skinny pedal! I plan on doing studs soon(insurance).

nike
05-29-2012, 02:42 PM
Phase 1:
H&S minimaxx
the new H&S pyrometer
dpf and cat delete, keep stock muffler
H&S trans tuning
Fuel plug shim

Phase 2:
EGR Cooler Delete
Boost tube
CAI
Intake manifold
Head studs (425's or 625's, I know this is a running debate as of current. Not cosidering ATS h11's.)
Mag Hytek pan

My number questions are:
1) should I make the head studs a priority in phase 1 or will I be ok without for a while if I'm not hot-rodding?
2) Am I missing anything? I'm not wanting to go extreme, but some extra power and mpg's would be great.
3) What of anything should be pushed to phase 1?

:pop:

First off welcome!

I have an 07.5 6.7L and here is how I would write your list.

Phase 1:
EFI LIVE
EGR/cooler delete
5" TBE w muffler (and resonator if its still too loud)

Phase 2:
625's
Fass/Airdog

Most of the other stuff on your list will not benefit at your desired power levels.

The Fuel pump is more for better fuel filteration than higher pressure at that level as well. Therefore just a simple secondary fitration setup may better suit your pocket.

silvercummins14
05-29-2012, 05:25 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but if ran on a moderate tune (lowest level on mini max) is there a need to worry about the tranny and headgaskets while towing?

Mine is an 09 with 60k on it

Scooter's Roofing
05-29-2012, 05:30 PM
don't put 5" on a company truck IMO

ControlFreak
05-29-2012, 05:58 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but if ran on a moderate tune (lowest level on mini max) is there a need to worry about the tranny and headgaskets while towing?

X2

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Tobin
05-29-2012, 06:11 PM
don't put 5" on a company truck IMO

Stock exhaust should be plenty for what you are doing.

Tobin

Gibson
05-30-2012, 12:24 AM

A bone StOck 6.7 will need head studs. Arp's if you do one by one method or h11 a1's if you remove head.

Im personally not a fan of any engine with out head studs. Especially a tuned and modified one.

Also to OP

Programmer, egr deletes and 5" flo-pro turbo back exhaust with muffler(pretty quiet cOmpared to others), T&C diesel constant pressure relief valve (instead of shims), And head studs to start you off

Later on look into Passenger Diesel intake horn/boost tube and grid heater delete and S&B or aFe cold air intakes and an airdog lift pump

ControlFreak
05-30-2012, 06:05 PM
So far, the most concrete item I've gotten from feedback is to do head studs sooner rather than later. I'm going to have to read up more on how EFI live works. From what I understand, someone makes a tune based on the trucks current performance, sends out a programmer with a single use download, download the program, ship the programmer back. But then I'm stuck with the same tune until I can get someone to place a separate tune in it? Is that about right?

Scooter's Roofing
05-30-2012, 07:36 PM
I've been around a LOT of 6.7's. If you don't run a big hot tune, there's no need for studs IMO.

If it were my truck, I would do a cat/dpf delete pipe for ease of going back to stock and keeping it looking/sounding stock being as it's a company truck. Quality drop-in filter or full CAI if you choose. Run about a 100-120hp tune on it and just drive the thing.

ControlFreak
05-30-2012, 07:50 PM
The only reason I'm concerned is because of the 112,000 miles that are already on the truck. The truck is in great condition, but I really have no clue what could be waiting for me around the corner. I guess I just have to drive it until the gasket or the tranny goes and worry about it then? I'd just like to avoid any collateral damage that may come with it.

khaoskustoms
05-30-2012, 07:50 PM
Flo Pro 5" is really quiet. I love it. My 07.5 6.7 has the minimaxx, egr delete, H&S boost tube and intake horn, Flo Pro 5" and S&B intake Fass 95. I use the truck for daily driving and towing, leave the chip on mild and you shouldn't have any head gasket problems. Although studs are next to go into my truck. I just like the extra insurance they provide. My engine has 300,000kms and still stock head gasket.

ControlFreak
05-30-2012, 07:53 PM
My engine has 300,000kms and still stock head gasket.

Good to know.

M_Thomas07
05-31-2012, 01:31 AM
To counter khaos i have a 5" flo pro with no muffler and its loud as faUck

Gibson
05-31-2012, 02:18 AM
To counter khaos i have a 5" flo pro with no muffler and its loud as faUck
With a stock charger?? I highly doubt it's louder than a 5.9. 5" straight exhaust is 5" straight exhaust. Not much differance between brands. Now resonators and mufflers, yes. Lots of variances.

ControlFreak
05-31-2012, 02:31 AM
Btw, Thomas, are you a BSU fan? I just moved to Boise and am looking forward to seeing some good football.

goblue
06-10-2012, 09:47 AM
I have studded my truck for extra insurance with arp625. I have heard nothing but good fron people that have used them. Im in process to a 650 to 700 horse daily driver towing truck.Efi live has worked great for me, this is how it works. You buy the tuner $600-$800 hook it up to your truck and read it at that point you will acquire a stock file. Download the stock file to your computer and send it to the place you bought your autocal( tuner ) from via e-mail. At that point based off what your trucks mods are and deleted items are they can start to write your tunes. The great thing about efi live is you can correspond via e-mail so it makes it easy and convenient. I saw good gains in MPG 22-24 highway and HP the truck runs cooler as well.