PDA

View Full Version : H&S Fuel rail plug

Mocummins
05-31-2012, 06:58 PM
H&S has a fuel rail pug does any one run it or is it even need?

Lostnwalmart
05-31-2012, 07:02 PM
What does it plug?

DieselLance
05-31-2012, 07:05 PM
6.7 rail pressure plug, go's in place of the relief valve in the head and doesnt allow any fuel to bleed off from the rail

i have installed alot of them

Lostnwalmart
05-31-2012, 07:13 PM
Ahhh the piston melter plug

Mocummins
05-31-2012, 07:27 PM
Is it worth getting?

DieselLance
05-31-2012, 07:32 PM
when you start gettting rail pressure code then throw one in

Backhoe man
05-31-2012, 08:52 PM
Is it worth getting?

No bad idea hard on parts. The relief valve is there for a reason, it has no place in a daily driver IMHO.

brucer
05-31-2012, 10:40 PM
I run the H&S Hot Damn 175 tune and have never had any problems without one. ...I've been told the relief valve was beefed up on the 4th gens, appearently problems are more common on the 3rd gens as far as fuel rail reliefs go

Gibson
05-31-2012, 11:44 PM
I'm not a fan of plugs. For testing and diagnostic purposes yes. That's basicly what they are when your in a dealership scene. I like T&C diesels relief valves.

JoshH
05-31-2012, 11:57 PM
Shim it.

TMONEYDIESEL
06-01-2012, 12:08 AM
when you start gettting rail pressure code then throw one in

Very bad advice

dodgeram082500
06-01-2012, 05:18 AM
Shim it.

X2 on shimming it

BobSagetIsGod?
06-01-2012, 07:09 PM
ive have also heard the 4th gens dont really need the plug or shim even, they withstand more than the old ones before popping

Gibson
06-01-2012, 07:40 PM
ive have also heard the 4th gens dont really need the plug or shim even, they withstand more than the old ones before popping

I wonder what the differance is? Any body got a part number for the two trucks? 07.5-09 and 2010-2012? Interchangable?

skidootom
06-07-2012, 09:22 AM
I wonder what the differance is? Any body got a part number for the two trucks? 07.5-09 and 2010-2012? Interchangable?

I believe the Fuel Rail Relief valve is the same in 1st and 2nd gen 6.7L's, I remember looking them up a while back. I just think 2nd's gens dont need it since there isnt any tuning that is commanding above 25k psi to my knowledge. $.02

Tormentor
06-07-2012, 09:52 AM
No bad idea hard on parts. The relief valve is there for a reason, it has no place in a daily driver IMHO.

I agree 100%. Its like welding a wastegate closed, not a smart idea.

6.7silverbullet
06-09-2012, 11:17 PM
I have had mine in for three years no problems, just saying...

Lostnwalmart
06-09-2012, 11:20 PM
First drive line breakage and injectors see to much pressure don't be wineing when you need a new engine because of a 5$ bolt...

TMONEYDIESEL
06-09-2012, 11:54 PM
I have had mine in for three years no problems, just saying...

Its there for a REASON!! You should take your bearings out while your at it

coorsman2005
06-10-2012, 10:39 PM
Im running the plug. Take the good advice u dont want your weaklink to be your injectors or who knows what. I wouldn't recomend it just like everyone has said its there for a reason. i have not had no trouble (yet) i have talked to to many knowledgeable ppl to continue to run mine . I will be pulling my plug soon since I just got a good relief valve again. Just think like this you have 25k+ in yout rail if something went wrong and it spiked to 30k or what ever crazy number failure is likely to happen but where? It's up to u

JonMunson4992
06-25-2012, 07:29 AM
Xdp has one too right? How much do they run?

JonMunson4992
06-25-2012, 07:30 AM
And which one is better?

Ackerdiesel
06-25-2012, 07:36 AM
Xdp has one too right? How much do they run?And which one is better?
Read the thread. The relief is in there for a reason is the little bolt worth ruining an engine?

Ryan

Dieselmafialb7
07-07-2012, 11:07 PM
Its a hit or miss deal ive installed shims on the 6.7s no issues (usually a lift pump cures low rail issues) or modded pumps were this a Dmax id say go for it as we have a better design for returning fuel snd two more injectors to help bleed pressure.

If you don't have a lift pump get one if you have one id check it and make sure your supply pressure is good still then go from there

Kalimán
08-21-2012, 09:19 PM
:thankyou2::thankyou2:I have had mine in for three years no problems, just saying...

Me too...... never could get my truck to hold rail pressure any where close to the mid 20k range until I plugged it. Couldn't be happier. There seems to be a lot of controversery about this however I personally have never heard of any absolute proof that a rail plug has ever caused any damage.

dodgeram082500
08-22-2012, 05:05 AM
:thankyou2::thankyou2:

Me too...... never could get my truck to hold rail pressure any where close to the mid 20k range until I plugged it. Couldn't be happier. There seems to be a lot of controversery about this however I personally have never heard of any absolute proof that a rail plug has ever caused any damage.

If you couldnt hold 20k on the stock fuel rail relief valve then it already had problems. the fuel rail relief valve is there for a reason (to protect the expensive parts). shimming is the way to go you basically get the same thing as you will plugging but if pressure goes to high it can still relieve through it ,and it won't take as much a chance of damaging parts.

Lostnwalmart
08-22-2012, 09:41 AM
:thankyou2::thankyou2:

Haven't looked to hard have you?

Kalimán
08-22-2012, 10:49 PM
Haven't looked to hard have you?
I'm not saying it couldn't happen. All I'm saying is I personally have never seen any proof of any failure due to a plugged fuel rail. I do agree a shimmed rail is "safer". For me the plug was the answer tho. There are plenty of warnings out there saying what will happen but then again there is not one failure due specifically to a fuel rail plug that Im aware of. If there actually is I stand to be corrected. The truth is there are a lot of folks running a plug successfully for many many miles.

Lostnwalmart
08-22-2012, 10:57 PM
There are hundreds of engines that fail because of too high of rail pressure, they are becoming less now due to better tuning. Most common is a cracked injector then a run away, many of the people who have a failure like this blame the part that fails but not the cause.

madmikeismad
08-22-2012, 10:59 PM
There are hundreds of engines that fail because of too high of rail pressure, they are becoming less now due to better tuning. Most common is a cracked injector then a run away, many of the people who have a failure like this blame the part that fails but not the cause.

Hundreds of cummins fail? Now your just making chit up.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

kmkdiesel
08-22-2012, 11:10 PM
I have never heard of a 6.7 failing from it but alot of 5.9s, but I have never searched it to see what I could find. I do believe the 6.7s can with stand alot higher pressure then the 5.9s though. I run 30-31k at wot and have a shimmed valve and have never had it pop open yet, I have not seen any problems at all running this high of pressure on the rail, lines, or injectors. I have had the engine tore down all the way way too.

Gibson
08-22-2012, 11:43 PM
I have never heard of a 6.7 failing from it but alot of 5.9s, but I have never searched it to see what I could find. I do believe the 6.7s can with stand alot higher pressure then the 5.9s though. I run 30-31k at wot and have a shimmed valve and have never had it pop open yet, I have not seen any problems at all running this high of pressure on the rail, lines, or injectors. I have had the engine tore down all the way way too.

And your doing it right. Shimmed or T&C CPRV is the only route. If you do have something happen to escalate rail pressure then a plug will be detrimental. Such as a cp3 going max at any givin time and not backing off.

Kalimán
08-23-2012, 12:03 AM
Exactly what psi will the shimmed valve pop at ? And is that not high enough to technically cause a fuel rail or Injector to crack ?

kmkdiesel
08-23-2012, 12:27 PM
Exactly what psi will the shimmed valve pop at ? And is that not high enough to technically cause a fuel rail or Injector to crack ?

It seems they all are a little different, before I shimmed my valve on my current 6.7 running modded pump, mp8 and beta testing the hypertech it would barely open up at around 25-26k and drop my rail pressure down to 20k, if I wasnt all the way in the throttle and could maintain 24-25k all would be fine. After shimming it I havent had it pop open that I know off. I do believe there is a code you get when it does pop open and it must go off of the value in the ecm and seeing a dramatic instant drop in presurre compard to desired pressure.There is also a count in the ecm that keeps track of hw many times it pops open. My count was at 0 a couple weeks ago. Its not really the high pressures that is hard on things its the rail spike that causes the damage, the highest rail spike I have seen is 31k on mine, which is also the high pressure I will run at wot, it makes me wonder sometimes if this is the high it is seeing or is this the high that the sensor is capable of reading. Rail spike might be going alot higher then people think.