PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding front end

Ridiculous
08-12-2007, 12:46 AM
well i'm thinking about rebuilting my front end but i'm not too sure i really need to. the only thing that even makes me think about it is the fact that it pulls to the right enough that it drives me nuts. what i probably NEED to do is take it in for an alignment and see what they have to say. but what i thought of doing was this: gettin a thuren track bar and thuren crossover steering kit, and then replacing my ball joints too THEN get it aligned. but i'm not sure all of this is necessary. i know there's ways of checking this stuff myself but i don't know how i'm a layman's terms kinda man so if someone cares to touch on this too i'd appreciate it.

but also do i really need the crossover kit or can i just replace tie rod ends and what not instead?

well that's all for now i hope it wasn't just a bunch of babbling
thanks guys

Ridiculous
08-12-2007, 11:07 AM
no advice huh?:pop:

daysel
12-03-2007, 07:33 PM
Have fun with those ball joints.

SuperDave4x4
12-03-2007, 07:49 PM
Take it in an idea of what your going to have to replace. I have Don thurens track bar and it's been on my truck for 4 years with not a single problem. His steering is top notch, but you may not need something that heavy duty. I have a Moog front end and it's been fine and a far bit beefier than stock. Also it has a lifetime warranty which is nice.

Ball joints are tuff. You'll need a pickle fork or something to remove the BJs easily. When mine were replaced I got the Moog ones with the grease zerks.

Make sure you have a 1 11/16 socket for the axle nut. I removed my hub yesterday and well, it wasn't that bad at all. I mean it wasn't fun, but not miserable. Just 4 bolts and it slid right off the shaft.

revolutiondsl
12-14-2007, 07:09 PM
the ball joints suck but sometimes the worst part is getting the hub off i rebuilt the front end of an 01 that was very clean i thought it was going to be easy but the driver side hub was seized in and it took a big puller and somebody on the other side hitting a bar with a sledge and like 2 hours and i have a press for the ball joints that makes it a lot easier but be prepared what you are getting into. suspension stuff sucks and is usually rusted and a pain even my 03 was a pain to get the hub off when i replace a u joint make sure to never seize the crap out of the hubs when u put it back together and it will be 10 times easier

HOTT RACING
01-02-2008, 09:06 PM
I used a air hammer on the corners of the bolt ears to work them out and was gravy. Just pull the trigger. work on side a little then the other. Put some never seize back on for installation. Should be mandatory at the factories