PDA

View Full Version : Cam Install Kit

Spec Ed
06-20-2012, 08:57 PM
I am currently in the process of replacing my cam and tappets on my 97 12 valve. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for making a homemade trough for the tappets and the tappet install tool. Also, if anyone in Michigan in the greater Detroit or Flint areas had these tools and would be willing to loan them to me it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Ed

Spec Ed
06-20-2012, 09:01 PM
This picture shows both tools:
Camshaft Installation Cummins Lifter Photo 5
(http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/0904dp_camshaft_installation/photo_05.html)

WUnderwood
06-20-2012, 09:14 PM
A piece of PVC pipe can be used as a trough, not sure what size though.

Not sure on replacing the tappets, do a search on 'cam install' and see what comes up

nosparks
06-20-2012, 10:35 PM
A 2 inch piece of PVC cut lengthwise will work but dont cut it in half (about 60/40 and use the 40% portion). Oily PVC is very slick so I will however recommend that you have a stop at the far end so your tappet doesn't go sliding off the end and down into the engine. I think you know where that is going..... :doh:

Ill just say I should have borrowed the metal trough.

LReiff
06-21-2012, 06:43 PM
Removing the oil pan is probably the fastest way to replace lifters. Also it's a good time to fix an oil leak!

madmikeismad
06-21-2012, 07:32 PM
I dropped the pan, takes 10 extra minutes with lifting the motor up and taking out the 400 bolts by hand, and allows you to freshen up that guaranteed to be leaking pan gasket.

diesel_importer
10-14-2012, 04:48 PM
I don't know how y'all get the oil pan off that quickly. It took me a few hours to the engine high enough, and still had to remove the pickup tube before the oil pan would come all the way out.