Boost leak detection question

rlawless

Question On doing a boost leak detection, once the system is charged and if no leaks, will the system hold pressure or will pressure drop slowly from leaking past piston rings or something?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

You'll have to let some of the valves close if you want the motor to hold any air. Go to TDC then figure out which ones are open...I can't remember the numbers right off.

Just hook it to a regulated hose at about 20psi. If it bleeds off slowly it won't matter. It will at least give you time to soapy water all your connections.

I pump it to 20 p s I and it slowly leak down I was thinking there was a leak at the plenum.. Probably was hearing it leak through the valves.. That's why I asked thanks

Bah. Let it cool down, start it up, rev it up to where it's building a bit of boost in idle and soak everything as fast as you can with soapy water/ Snoop/ Windex.

It'll take a minute or so until it gets hot enough to flash off the leak detector, more than enough time to spot leaks.

My rig uses shop air, with a guage on the comp cover, it has a guage so i just turm it on where it maintains about 20 psi....it will bleed off somewhat....through the open valves

I just loosen all the intake rockers. Got a plumbing plug from Lowes, put it in the hose off the turbo discharge, air it up through the intake horn. Read it off my boost gauge.
gy6u4ese.jpg

Tapamaxxing

Back