PDA

View Full Version : Very disappointed today.

Mountainman234
09-05-2012, 09:09 PM
I've purchased and installed several goerend transmissions in my own and friends trucks and have nothing but great things to report about them. But today i called to get a new one for a new truck and was informed that they are no longer building complete transmissions. I was told they are too backed up and are only selling parts now and that most likely they will not be building complete units once they are caught up.

ctdiesel99
09-05-2012, 09:25 PM
I've purchased and installed several goerend transmissions in my own and friends trucks and have nothing but great things to report about them. But today i called to get a new one for a new truck and was informed that they are no longer building complete transmissions. I was told they are too backed up and are only selling parts now and that most likely they will not be building complete units once they are caught up.

That sucks, but is a good thing in my eyes. Would you rather them take your money and not build your trans for months while you sit truckless? I applaud them for realizing how swamped they are, and adjusting accordingly.

BTW this is not a dig at you, just saying what I think they did is smart, if they can't keep up with demand, they won't let service, quality, and time restraints get brushed under the rug to make a buck.

ctdiesel99
09-05-2012, 09:32 PM

I guess i misread what you wrote in bold. I can't see them not building transmissions in house anymore, but of course i could be wrong.

Big Swole
09-05-2012, 09:59 PM
He's been sending customers to Garmon due to this.... Gotta respect him for that!

This will be disappointing to fans of Dave G. ... Best of luck to him in the future.

bigblk
09-05-2012, 10:42 PM
I was told this would happen a couple years ago from Darlene...

bigblk
09-05-2012, 10:43 PM
They are going to do kits...

97rada
09-05-2012, 11:27 PM
Is there that much demand right now?

'strokeThis_'07
09-05-2012, 11:32 PM
I had to wait three months for mine, I ordered back in Oct/Nov last year. I gladly waited, things running great, better than the trash I had before, that's for damn sure.

Why would they not build whole units anymore though?? Doesn't totally make sense to me but I don't know the details.

SethR
09-06-2012, 01:33 AM
I had to wait a little over a month for mine.

Hurley
09-06-2012, 07:18 AM
****, a complete kit would still be a cool thing for most DIY'ers

CSnyder
09-06-2012, 07:45 AM
I was told this would happen a couple years ago from Darlene...

I call BS. I know them all very well and live 30 minutes away and sell a TON of Goerend stuff and all of us that sell his product werent notified until recently. BTW...its Darla and Denise.

They are selling parts but no complete units. They are now manufacturing shafts, pans, flexplates, etc for use in builds along with VB's and convertors and a few other things. Dave has spent a very large amount of money in machines to build the parts for a better transmission. Goerend will always be in the transmission business!

TravisG
09-06-2012, 08:58 AM
Goerend will always be in the transmission business!

This. Dave's Dad was a transmission guy and so was/is Mike(I think) his brother.

CSnyder
09-06-2012, 09:26 AM
This. Dave's Dad was a transmission guy and so was/is Mike(I think) his brother.

Les

TravisG
09-06-2012, 10:02 AM
Les

Yeah yeah, like I said Les!

CPSimpson
09-06-2012, 11:12 AM
I call BS. I know them all very well and live 30 minutes away and sell a TON of Goerend stuff and all of us that sell his product werent notified until recently. BTW...its Darla and Denise.

They are selling parts but no complete units. They are now manufacturing shafts, pans, flexplates, etc for use in builds along with VB's and convertors and a few other things. Dave has spent a very large amount of money in machines to build the parts for a better transmission. Goerend will always be in the transmission business!

We heard it was coming about 2-3 months ago, Dave is recommending certain builders in regions to build the trans to his specs, using his parts. He will still stand behind his parts the same as he always has.

ThatGuy01
09-06-2012, 11:25 AM
Well that blows my plans out of the water, looks like ill be taking apart my trans myself when it comes time.

shortbusdriver
09-06-2012, 11:31 AM
I was informed that I got one of the last complete units, so I have to put this out there,

http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv221/partyshortbusdriver/tosh_201_swiss_ball_v6.jpg

Excited to get my damn pos back together and try her out.

CSnyder
09-06-2012, 11:42 AM
We heard it was coming about 2-3 months ago, Dave is recommending certain builders in regions to build the trans to his specs, using his parts. He will still stand behind his parts the same as he always has.

Yeah over the last few monthes the word was let out but not 2 years ago.

I was informed that I got one of the last complete units, so I have to put this out there,

http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv221/partyshortbusdriver/tosh_201_swiss_ball_v6.jpg

Excited to get my damn pos back together and try her out.

LMAO! yes yes you did but you are still a mad midget!

kleann
09-06-2012, 12:20 PM
So they are going to make their own shafts?

Blacksdieselhp
09-06-2012, 04:26 PM
Its a bittersweet deal. Trannies of this caliber will never be had again. But at least we will have some of the best hard parts available from the best guy in the tranny biz. Only the people that have seen it go down in person can understand how far Dave Goerend goes to do what he does right.

'strokeThis_'07
09-06-2012, 04:46 PM
All I know is, don't ask Dave a semi-technical question unless you have atleast an hour spare time openLOL

That man knows his chit

Mountainman234
09-06-2012, 04:47 PM
So i guess the question is then. Who builds Dave's transmission as good as Dave?

Blacksdieselhp
09-06-2012, 04:59 PM
There is only one guy. Craig. But he works for Dave so thats no good. lol

Mountainman234
09-06-2012, 05:07 PM
So......(spoken in a very sinister voice) what you r saying is we need to kidnap him and make him build transmissions for us. mmmmmmhhhhaaaaa!

But seriously, who else is there of that caliber?

01 smoke
09-07-2012, 01:12 AM
There is a shop around Portland IN (< I think)called Dans transmissions that seem to be doing some good work. They are recomended by Dave.

ThatGuy01
09-07-2012, 01:29 AM
Well if Dave is refering people to Jeff then he must be pretty dang good. He wouldnt just tell people about him to get rid of business. He still has a reputation to protect lol.

You could be rising the chance of your tranny getting the Mad Swole Disease....LOL

TMONEYDIESEL
09-07-2012, 01:33 AM
Good i like the kit idea, im going to start building a few transmissions and that will make like a little easier.

YOUNG GUNS15
09-07-2012, 02:18 AM
Good i like the kit idea, im going to start building a few transmissions and that will make like a little easier.

Life?

CSnyder
09-07-2012, 09:24 AM
If you call there they can give you a referral to a builder in your area.

Big Swole
09-07-2012, 09:51 AM
Well if Dave is refering people to Jeff then he must be pretty dang good. He wouldnt just tell people about him to get rid of business. He still has a reputation to protect lol.

You could be rising the chance of your tranny getting the Mad Swole Disease....LOL

Garmon and Georend have great respect for each other. Jeff is very appreciative of Dave.
I've always said if Garmon wasn't so close or not in business, that I'd buy Georend.

I don't get down there as much anymore because I'm on night shift, so do worry about me touching your tranny or it getting the "Mad Swole Disease" LOL

ThatGuy01
09-07-2012, 10:36 AM
Lol i hope you know im just giving you crap down there David.

Im gunna have to build my confidence when it comes to actually installing a kit. Ive rebuilt a 727 which is a primitive 47re basically... Problem i have is the VB, do you just stick it in there? or does it have instructions lol.

zstroken
09-07-2012, 10:38 AM
I would venture to say that Dave will still build Valve Bodies.

CSnyder
09-07-2012, 10:38 AM
Lol i hope you know im just giving you crap down there David.

Im gunna have to build my confidence when it comes to actually installing a kit. Ive rebuilt a 727 which is a primitive 47re basically... Problem i have is the VB, do you just stick it in there? or does it have instructions lol.

The 47 is just a 727 with an OD housing. Goerend sells complete VB's and the VB is honestly the hardest part of the trans to rebuild.

'strokeThis_'07
09-07-2012, 11:04 AM
the VB is honestly the hardest part of the trans to rebuild.

Is it really? Because that was pretty damn easy I thought. I had an issue with the first one in my new trans, so Dave sent a new VB and I switched it out myself and been running great ever since.

I've been thinking about tackling trans rebuilds myself since I seem to go through them plenty

Signature600
09-07-2012, 11:15 AM
Is it really? Because that was pretty damn easy I thought. I had an issue with the first one in my new trans, so Dave sent a new VB and I switched it out myself and been running great ever since.

I've been thinking about tackling trans rebuilds myself since I seem to go through them plenty

You SWAPPED a VB, not rebuilt one;)

Chris

ThatGuy01
09-07-2012, 12:15 PM
Is swapping one still a PITA?

YOUNG GUNS15
09-07-2012, 01:26 PM
Is swapping one still a PITA?

Hardest part is installing and removing the OJ clip on the parking rod. Putting it in first gear makes it simpler. Once that's off it's just a matter of removing the bolts holding the vb in, disconnecting the shift linkage, tv lever, and electrical connection.

ThatGuy01
09-07-2012, 02:24 PM
This is becoming a little de-railed mostly my fault my bad

If your reading this, I'm really bored at work...Or driving. Don't judge me.-- Tapatalk

SHughes
09-07-2012, 02:26 PM
I was under the impression Goerend would till be doing TC's, VB's and stocking hard parts.

Epically post by a dumb phone.

fordcummins01
09-07-2012, 03:24 PM
jesse harris in martinsville is an authorized installer, builder. 317-432-6918

CPSimpson
09-07-2012, 03:36 PM
I'll second Jesse, been building transmissions for me since '07, great guy and knows his chit about transmissions.

CSnyder
09-07-2012, 03:37 PM
I was under the impression Goerend would till be doing TC's, VB's and stocking hard parts.

Epically post by a dumb phone.

That is correct!

scat
09-07-2012, 03:44 PM
So they are going to make their own shafts?

Yup when i was down there a year ago they had just got the new machine CNC put in and they were playing with it. Im pretty sure they also make the billet convertor hubs now too instead of buying them like they use to. I still wouldnt shy from buying from them one bit.

Blacksdieselhp
09-07-2012, 06:29 PM
The 47 is just a 727 with an OD housing. Goerend sells complete VB's and the VB is honestly the hardest part of the trans to rebuild.

That's for sure. Anybody with mechanical skills and a book can rebuild a tranny, but the vb is the #1 piece to the puzzle. Getting a tranny to live with big hp while keeping the shifts smooth and clean is a feat that only Dave has concoured as far as I have seen. People used to accuse me of swapping a stock vb into my 4wd race truck because it shifted so smooth. LOL. It had a constant pressure vb in it.

diesel_importer
09-07-2012, 09:38 PM
This is sad news for sure. I have always loved my Goerend trans. Smoothe shifts, til I lock the convertor and lay the hammer down!

'strokeThis_'07
09-07-2012, 11:10 PM
You SWAPPED a VB, not rebuilt one;)

Chris

True. I wasn't thinking straight. Again.:lolly:

'strokeThis_'07
09-17-2012, 04:44 PM
So I emailed Darla today, she said it's only a temporary hold on complete units. After they catch up, they plan to go back to accepting orders on full units.

Parts are still available to order right now; converters, valvebodies, rebuild kits, pans, stuff like that.

dieselduck
09-17-2012, 06:13 PM
[QUOTE=Big Swole;1879619]Garmon and Georend have great respect for each other. Jeff is very appreciative of Dave.
I've always said if Garmon wasn't so close or not in business, that I'd buy Georend.

Thank you David

You solved my puzzle.

r-rated diesel
10-09-2012, 06:06 PM
That sucks man i love my goerend