Hydraulic pump as a fuel supply pump?

Using an electric motor or belt driving it?
With a decent regulator i don't see why you couldn't use it, it should run diesel just fine.

1:1 belt off the crank, I worried if the regulator would have to by bypass so much it would be useless.

Yup. It worked for quite a while but not long enough that I would call it a good solution. Diesel lacks lubrication for a gear type pump. The one I had ran north of 250 psi LOL The pump it fed never gave an issue though.

How long did it run? We are talking about a truck that hasnt ran in 4 years and will not be driven more than 2000 miles a year.

"Testing was performed per SAE specifications using a mineral base oil with viscosity within the limits of 95-115 SUS at 49° C (120° F) and 50-54 SUS at 80° C (180° F)."

Obviously, diesel has significantly lower viscosity. The pump will not live very long given insufficient lubrication thickness. Would you run your engine on 0w20?

A gear pump will have a very short life.

I saw that pump. How long was it on? Maybe 500 miles? Clearance inside was bad enough it couldn't pump fuel anymore. Scarred and worn. Not viable as lift pump.
Gerotor, or vane pump woild be better.

None of those hydraulic pumps are meant to pump diesel.

2 stroke oil works because it drops out of the fuel:air mix, and deposits on the metal surfaces. If it's in the liquid fuel, it aint worth much.

That being said, I frequently wondered why nobody ever replaced the HPOP of a 7.3 or 6.0 with an external hydraulic pump? (or 2?)

None of those hydraulic pumps are meant to pump diesel.

2 stroke oil works because it drops out of the fuel:air mix, and deposits on the metal surfaces. If it's in the liquid fuel, it aint worth much.

That being said, I frequently wondered why nobody ever replaced the HPOP of a 7.3 or 6.0 with an external hydraulic pump? (or 2?)

Because the regulator is set up to dump pressure until high pressure is required, then the regulator closes and put the pressure to the injectors, same goes for a 6.0. Mismatch the pump and regulator flow and you'll never get the ecm to properly control it. Why do you think a 7.3 with a big pump idles with a rpm roll?

Because the regulator is set up to dump pressure until high pressure is required, then the regulator closes and put the pressure to the injectors, same goes for a 6.0. Mismatch the pump and regulator flow and you'll never get the ecm to properly control it. Why do you think a 7.3 with a big pump idles with a rpm roll?

Rig in the 2nd pump on a air conditioning pump style clutch?

Something popped into my head tonight. I'd say we're all forgetting the most common long life mechanical diesel pump known to man.

Detroit fuel supply pump.

Need to come up with some specs. I'm clueless at this point. All I know is there's millions of them out there, and I would think making it a direct bolt on of some sort would make for a permanent fix.

Back