PDA

View Full Version : LMM partially submerged by Hurricane Sandy?

Gasoline Sucks
11-05-2012, 10:04 AM
My buddies truck was partially submerged during hurricane Sandy. He thinks the water got up to the bottom of the drivers seat. The truck starts and runs sometimes for 5 mins sometimes for an hour then shuts off. The windows, radio and heat turn on when they want to. Is there a BCM that could be replaced to resolve these issues? Hes got about 8k in upgrades in the truck that im sure insurance will not cover. He's hoping that he will get the option to buy the truck back from insurance and fix it if its something reasonably easy to do. Obviously its gonna need the interior gutted washed, new rug etc. etc.

Wondering if any of you guys have been through something like this or if you know the truck well enough to say its a BCM or blah blah computer under the seat or in the kick panel.

THanks for any input :D

SINNER
11-05-2012, 10:20 AM
Salt water and wiring is never a good combo. That truck is totaled. My friend just had 5 vehicles totaled yesterday from the storm. One was a spotless 700 hp. 96 12 v and the other was a 1976 Toyota land cruiser. He had both insured for replacement value and he said the adjuster told him if the water enters the passenger compartment it is totaled. The adjuster wrote over 100k worth of vehicles off and never even popped a hood. It's because they know those vehicles will never be right again.

DirtyMaxx03
11-05-2012, 10:23 AM
x2. if it got half submerged in a lake, it might be worth trying to fix. that truck is phucked

Gasoline Sucks
11-05-2012, 10:37 AM
Dam shame... Hes gonna take the tuner, egt probe, wheels, considering exhaust, wants the cognito lift and fox shocks and hoops also.... Dont know what he should do... Just find another truck or what?

zstroken
11-05-2012, 10:41 AM
Dam shame... Hes gonna take the tuner, egt probe, wheels, considering exhaust, wants the cognito lift and fox shocks and hoops also.... Dont know what he should do... Just find another truck or what?

Depending how long some of those components were exposed, may or may not be an issue.

roachie
11-05-2012, 10:44 AM
Its a GM, the wiring on them is bad enough without the salt water.

Gasoline Sucks
11-05-2012, 10:44 AM
What sucks is it runs fine then just randomly shuts off. Truck was under for only a couple hours.

DirtyMaxx03
11-05-2012, 10:51 AM
What sucks is it runs fine then just randomly shuts off. Truck was under for only a couple hours.

the list of possible problems is endless.

Gasoline Sucks
11-05-2012, 10:57 AM
Dam shame.... I told him pull all the **** he wants off it and let them have it.. I want the front seats :D

I told him to get an LML next :p

SINNER
11-05-2012, 10:59 AM
Depending how long some of those components were exposed, may or may not be an issue.

The time of exposure has no bearing on it causing issues. It is when the water evaporates and leaves the salt behind that the electrical issues arise. 2 minutes of exposure is the same as 2 days.

And FYI the insurance company sold both the LC and the 2500 back to my friend for scrap metal prices.

Gasoline Sucks
11-05-2012, 11:03 AM
The time of exposure has no bearing on it causing issues. It is when the water evaporates and leaves the salt behind that the electrical issues arise. 2 minutes of exposure is the same as 2 days.

And FYI the insurance company sold both the LC and the 2500 back to my friend for scrap metal prices.

WOW!! DAM thats a deal! How much you talking? If its less then 8k he will probably buy it back to get the lift and shocks with the weld on hoops.

SINNER
11-05-2012, 11:08 AM
Way less than that. He was told no more than 3k for the Dodge. LC He expects it to be half because it is by weight.

Gasoline Sucks
11-05-2012, 11:32 AM
wow that would be worth it...

zstroken
11-05-2012, 11:37 AM

Really? I would have thought that some items would be resistant to x head of pressure for 2 minutes, while one that had been submerged for 2 days, the salt water would have penetrated deeper into the connectors, past the weather resistant seals.

SINNER
11-05-2012, 11:55 AM
I would say you would be correct in that assumption. But also consider this, if it will leak it will leak almost immediately or not at all. The adjuster stated driving through it is the worst thing possible. When my friend asked him if moving them would have helped he said only to destroy them instantly. He said most issues are from cracked/chaffed wires and the salt will creep along inside the wire every time the humidity rises and falls, not from the connectors themselves failing. He also said if you have the opportunity to equally submerge the vehicle in clean fresh water that is the only way he has seen to help slow the inevitable. This adjuster works for a company that specializes in vehicles that are insured for total value and not blue book replacement, so he said totaling a vehicle almost never happens with the exception of frame damage or salt water flooding.