PDA

View Full Version : Dodge Durango

Tormentor
01-18-2013, 05:41 PM
A manager at Cummins told me Dodge is working with Cummins to make a V4 version of the 4.5L ISF for the Durango. 210hp, 561lb-ft torque!

zstroken
01-18-2013, 05:45 PM
A manager at Cummins told me Dodge is working with Cummins to make a V4 version of the 4.5L ISF for the Durango. 210hp, 561lb-ft torque!

Hate to bust your bubble there has been talks of a diesel durango for the US for years

jimbo486
01-18-2013, 05:54 PM
Yeah, the rumor's been our for a while now. There was even discussion of a V8 Cummins for the 1/2 ton trucks.

Tormentor
01-19-2013, 09:11 AM
He actually showed me the Cummins internal memo which said specifically an ISF-based V4.

zstroken
01-19-2013, 09:48 AM
Not saying it won't happen. However 1998, friend worked for Cummins. We had a discussion about a program he was working on. Getting a diesel in the Durango. They had several plans to do this. They never materialized. The US just doesn't have the diesel market outside of the heavy duty trucks.

'strokeThis_'07
01-19-2013, 12:31 PM
I don't see it happening.

Diesel is going in the Grand Cherokee, if anything the same 3.0 VM Motori V6 would go in the Durango. They aren't going to completely redesign another engine setup for the same platform for chits and giggles.

EasternAggie
01-19-2013, 05:47 PM
With the popularity of diesel powered vehicles growing, I could see there being a market for it.

That being said, the astronomical diesel fuel prices and emissions BS has been putting a major chokehold on the industry. If they design a new engine, it has to much such stringent emissions standards that it's not really worth the effort on their part.

Tormentor
01-20-2013, 12:02 AM
I can see strokeThis' point.
I just wish they would put a CRD in the 2-door Wrangler. The Liberty was nice, but its too much of a car to be used as a 4x4 should, 160hp wasn't enough and the $5000 it takes just to touch 200hp is really poor value.

EasternAggie
01-20-2013, 12:21 AM
For your reading pleasure:

New Cummins V6 and V8 Diesel Engines - Exclusive Preview - Diesel Power Magazine
(http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/dodge/0612dp_new_cummins_v6_and_v8/viewall.html)

'strokeThis_'07
01-20-2013, 01:08 AM
Aggie, you see the date on that article? 2009. A lot has changed since then, namely Fiat taking majority hold of Chrysler. Any contract that was in place for those has been nixed.

Sergio Marchionne has publicly stated that more diesels will be forth coming; anyone that doesn't know, he's the head man at Fiat and Chrysler. I'd like to see the 3.0 not only in the GC, but also Durango, Wrangler, Ram 1500, and even the 300 and Charger. I would LOVE an AWD 3.0 diesel Charger with the 8 speed auto...and since the emissions has already been designed and been given the greenlight for production on the GC, I expect it to come to other platforms, one reason being spreading development costs over more product instead of just one vehicle.

May even see a 4 cylinder diesel in the new Dart? I was impressed by the Dart, especially the interior, and a 4 cylinder diesel would really factor into it. I'm a Mopar fan at heart, I really like the vehicles they build. But if I wanted a new diesel powered sedan, I'd be forced to VW.

The key here, and why I don't think (unfortunately) that we'll see a V6 or V8 Cummins diesel in any Chrysler product, is who owns VM Motori? 50% GM, 50% Fiat.

EasternAggie
01-20-2013, 11:09 AM
Aggie, you see the date on that article? 2009. A lot has changed since then, namely Fiat taking majority hold of Chrysler. Any contract that was in place for those has been nixed.

Yeah that's kinda the point I was trying to make to Tormentor, that this V4, V6, V8 whatever Cummins for light duty vehicles was all old news.

zstroken
01-20-2013, 11:15 AM

Sergio Marchionne has publicly stated that more diesels will be forth coming; anyone that doesn't know, he's the head man at Fiat and Chrysler. I'd like to see the 3.0 not only in the GC, but also Durango, Wrangler, Ram 1500, and even the 300 and Charger. I would LOVE an AWD 3.0 diesel Charger with the 8 speed auto...and since the emissions has already been designed and been given the greenlight for production on the GC, I expect it to come to other platforms, one reason being spreading development costs over more product instead of just one vehicle.

May even see a 4 cylinder diesel in the new Dart? I was impressed by the Dart, especially the interior, and a 4 cylinder diesel would really factor into it. I'm a Mopar fan at heart, I really like the vehicles they build. But if I wanted a new diesel powered sedan, I'd be forced to VW.

The key here, and why I don't think (unfortunately) that we'll see a V6 or V8 Cummins diesel in any Chrysler product, is who owns VM Motori? 50% GM, 50% Fiat.

Dieter zeutche, proclaimed the same thing. More diesels for north america. All you saw was a limited run of the liberty and grand cheokee. When mercedes was at the helm, I sure would have thought that was the time it would have happened if any.

'strokeThis_'07
01-20-2013, 12:47 PM
I agree with you, but Mercedes can go phuck themselves.

All they saw was a cash cow, easy money. They had what, 22 million on the books? Something like that. They had no intention of doing anything with Chrysler. We got the LX platform (which I'm a fan of), other than that they gutted Chrysler and dumped the carcass.

I feel a lot better about the Fiat deal

ninerqb8
01-20-2013, 01:14 PM
I dont know how true it is but a friend just bought a 4 door wrangler and they told him if he waited a few months they would have a 2.8l CRD on the lot. I guess they claim to have been ordered and they were just waiting on arrival. We will see I guess that would be sweet though.

'strokeThis_'07
01-20-2013, 11:41 PM
Hmm, yeah I'd skip that dealer:lolly: Only way they'd have a 2.8 CRD on the lot is a used Liberty.

I do hope one materializes, along with a four door Wrangler-based pickup. I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Tormentor
01-22-2013, 09:53 AM
All they saw was a cash cow, easy money. They had what, 22 million on the books?

Easy money? Mercedes bought them for $36,000,000,000 then sold them at a 79% loss! Even if they did gut Chrysler for their patents and people, $28b would take quite a while to recover in profits. Even Apple doesn't have that much money with their 30% profit-margin.

Mercedes used to be great, the merger turned them into a bean-counting failure like Chrysler and now Audi is walking all over them in Diesel technology.

crazyrunner33
02-04-2013, 02:23 PM
I can see strokeThis' point.
I just wish they would put a CRD in the 2-door Wrangler. The Liberty was nice, but its too much of a car to be used as a 4x4 should, 160hp wasn't enough and the $5000 it takes just to touch 200hp is really poor value.

:umno:

If someone needs to spend over a grand to get passed 200 hp on a 2.8 VM Motori then they are doing something wrong.

Tormentor
02-04-2013, 07:36 PM
If someone needs to spend over a grand to get passed 200 hp on a 2.8 VM Motori then they are doing something wrong.

Prove me wrong.
The transmission, specifically the torque converter, cannot handle 200hp at the torque the CRD produces.

Turbo to support 200hp (http://www.greendieselengineering.com/store/SelectProd.do?prodId=7&manufacturer=Green+Diesel+Engineering&category=Liberty&name=KJ+Liberty+CRD+Turbo+Kit&model=+#tabs-2) $2500
200HP tune (http://www.greendieselengineering.com/store/SelectProd.do?prodId=2&manufacturer=Green+Diesel+Engineering&category=Liberty&name=KJ+Liberty+CRD+Hot+tune&model=+) $500
Torque converter to hold 200hp (http://www.suncoastconverters.com/shop/jeep-liberty-diesel-torque-converter/) $695
$3695, without labor.

EasternAggie
02-05-2013, 09:25 PM
Is the stock turbo so bad you have to upgrade it just to gain 40hp?

zstroken
02-05-2013, 09:33 PM
I agree with you, but Mercedes can go phuck themselves.

All they saw was a cash cow, easy money. They had what, 22 million on the books? Something like that. They had no intention of doing anything with Chrysler. We got the LX platform (which I'm a fan of), other than that they gutted Chrysler and dumped the carcass.

I feel a lot better about the Fiat deal

22 million? Try close to $10 billion. Of course if there is a car worth $500 for sale and it has $500 cash in the backseat, then $1000 is a reasonable price.

The big deal with the Chrysler takeover was the Bob Eaton, he made a mint off of the deal. There were so many differences in the companies that were huge hurdles to overcome. I worked for Chrysler on the Engineering end, and was involved with new product launches, so I witnessed some things that most folks didn't see. There were some high hopes, but ultimately the board of Mercedes were the ones who ravaged chrysler. When Zeutche was running Chrysler, he had a lot of great philosophies.

One of the many jokes was the new company was DaimlerChrysler, the Chrysler was silent.

Of course the day 1 of the merger, someone announced on the radios.

"will all of the ***s please report to heat treat(the plant I was at had a large amount of heat treating furnaces" I am surprised someone didn't get in some deep do do over that.

crazyrunner33
02-05-2013, 10:55 PM
Prove me wrong.
The transmission, specifically the torque converter, cannot handle 200hp at the torque the CRD produces.

Turbo to support 200hp (http://www.greendieselengineering.com/store/SelectProd.do?prodId=7&manufacturer=Green+Diesel+Engineering&category=Liberty&name=KJ+Liberty+CRD+Turbo+Kit&model=+#tabs-2) $2500
200HP tune (http://www.greendieselengineering.com/store/SelectProd.do?prodId=2&manufacturer=Green+Diesel+Engineering&category=Liberty&name=KJ+Liberty+CRD+Hot+tune&model=+) $500
Torque converter to hold 200hp (http://www.suncoastconverters.com/shop/jeep-liberty-diesel-torque-converter/) $695
$3695, without labor.

The stock GT2056V can support 200 hp, GDE isn't the only tuner and there and the torque converter from the 200 hp 2.8 VM Motori in the Wrangler is less than 300 dollars. As for a better turbo for more than 200 hp one can get their hands on the GT2260V or GT2360V for less than a grand.

Tormentor
02-06-2013, 01:34 PM
Is the stock turbo so bad you have to upgrade it just to gain 40hp?

Yes. Its a tiny GTA2056V. The upgrade is a GTB2056KLV.