PDA

View Full Version : Copper intercooler tubing?

JFlagg
09-25-2007, 02:27 PM
I was bored the other day at work(gov't empoyee) and got to thinking how I could dress up the engine compartment of my truck. I have a new valve cover I polished and painted that needs to be installed and I plan on getting some new intercooler boots, but I figured while I was at it I could do something to my intercooler pipes....Then I remembered an International Scout II I saw at the MCS shop that had a small turbo diesel in it and all the plumbing was the larger copper tubing( not the soft copper of course). And I was wondering, it is made to withstand some high water pressure, so boost pressure shouldn't be a problem I would think. I figured I could polish it real shiny and then clearcoat it so it wouldn't turn green. Not sure what size I would need right now, guessing 2.5-3"? I was just wondering everyone elses thoughts on this? I figure it would give some color to my underhood area for minimal dollars. Guess I'll have to look under my hood and see what I'll need and go down to the plumbing supply store, or ACE, and see what trouble I can get into....Did I mention I love the look of polished copper?

Timbeaux
09-25-2007, 02:42 PM
That would look kickass man

JFlagg
09-25-2007, 02:45 PM
I just wish I could have got the copper/burnt orange color dodge offered when I bought my truck, that would look REAL sweet.

Amish Elegance
09-25-2007, 03:21 PM
Sounds like a great idea if you can get em bent the way you need, and in the diameters you require.

I'm guessing you'll think twice about passing on powdercoating those stockers once you price doing it in copper. 2" Type L goes for a premium.

Better get your Brasso Polish ready.

n8ick
09-25-2007, 03:59 PM
If your doing it for color, clear coat it. If you do copper to help lower temps, leave it brushed or paint it flat black.

You now have me thinking about using copper or brass to reduce temps.

JFlagg
09-25-2007, 04:14 PM
I was thinking more along the line for some bling, I doubt it would have much cooling effect. I would have to check around for scrap though, I looked at some prices for hard copper and no wonder it gets stolen so much down in the "pigmently gifted" neighborhoods in STL.

nummit
09-25-2007, 07:33 PM
Polished copper rocks. IMO it would look awesome under the hood

toolmanoffroad
09-25-2007, 09:37 PM
Back in the day I was building the Tulsa county jail, and we were brazin up to 5 or 6in copper lines. I know it was some EXPENSIVE stuff, because we were cutting pieces just long enough to put in our lunch boxes... CHA-CHING! You will have to go to a major plumbing supply to get it in 3in and up, and they will also have 45s and 90s if ya want.... it would look good, but heavy on the wallet!

JFlagg
09-26-2007, 09:57 AM
There is a metal salvage yard down the road from my house, I think I'm going to go down there and try to make some friends:D After I find out everything I need anyway. Maybe there will be some fellow Cummins owners who I could recruit also....

tony597fitter
09-26-2007, 10:09 PM
Instead of trying to bend the tube, you can get long radius fittings, and tig weld them with copper wire. That way when you polish it it will all look the same.

dzlfarmboy
09-27-2007, 07:28 AM
Instead of trying to bend the tube, you can get long radius fittings, and tig weld them with copper wire. That way when you polish it it will all look the same.

Can't you just braze it?

n8ick
09-27-2007, 08:10 AM
You could braze - solder it. If you TIG w/ copper wire, you can make the weld and filler material disappear.

BgBlDodge
10-03-2007, 11:46 PM
Copper piping would be killer under the hood with a polished valve cover.