PDA

View Full Version : Possible Turbo Muffler

sredish
06-17-2006, 10:33 PM
Had to do some pipe swapping tonight due to some damaged goods..... think this could be caused by bad muffler bearings or what.... :shrug:

Regardless of the problem, it has now been rectified by a nicely polished stainless delete pipe. Let's just say a 4" straight-piped 6.0L motor sounds like one very pissed off big block with a totally out-of-control turbo whine, thanks to my 03 turbo..... :evil

Oh yea, I'll get some video/audio of it. Think Dukes of Hazzard... :)

http://www.redishconstruction.com/Images/Personal/Truck/Muff.JPG
http://www.redishconstruction.com/Images/Personal/Truck/Muff2.JPG
http://www.redishconstruction.com/Images/Personal/Truck/Muff3.JPG
http://www.redishconstruction.com/Images/Personal/Truck/Muff4.JPG

nummit
06-18-2006, 11:20 AM
Ouch, did you damage anything else?
What is the sound like inside the cab? I have been debating a muffler delete but don't want to have to yell to have a conversation with a passenger. If it is loud on the outside but mellow on the inside, I am all over it.

PSDave
06-18-2006, 05:35 PM
Had to do some pipe swapping tonight due to some damaged goods..... think this could be caused by bad muffler bearings or what.... :shrug:

Sredish,
I'd like to see a close-up of that missing muffler bearing (if you stopped to pick it up). Looks like it shot out so fast, the casing imploded, causing that cratering effect on the side of that big old muffler. Anyone get hurt behind you?
PSDave

sredish
06-18-2006, 09:58 PM
Ouch, did you damage anything else?
What is the sound like inside the cab? I have been debating a muffler delete but don't want to have to yell to have a conversation with a passenger. If it is loud on the outside but mellow on the inside, I am all over it.

The difference inside is pretty much unnoticeable. The truck sounds close to the same, just meatier from idle to 2200 rpms, but get it above 1/2 throttle around 2k rpms and the sound really opens up. So, if your driving normal, it's pretty similar, just a BOATLOAD more whistle and a meatier note with a much more aggressive note with a heavy foot.

At first, it was a tad much at full throttle, as it does get loud there, but I'm getting to where I really like the extra throatiness of the exhaust note under normal circumstances. As I said before, resonance in the is nonexistent unless your just stomping it and even then, it's pretty much extremely minimal and barely noticeable, then again, my cab has 2 layers of dynamat and a layer of closed cell foam... :evil

sredish
06-18-2006, 10:03 PM
Dave, muffler bearing got lost on the side of the road, don't know where it ended up but several cars had to swerve out of the way... :doh:

Didn't do any other damage except to the stock running board which have since been swapped out with some Amp Powersteps.... :rockwoot:

Let me just add, with my 03, the turbo whistle straight-piped is absolutely freaking insane. It's almost a ear-shrilling sharpness that pierces everything like a knife. I was turning under an underpass at about 20mph with the windows down, sunroof open and the whistle was so loud and sharp.... just awesome.... i got looks before with the std. muff, but now, it's not a few looks here and there, EVERYONE has to look... guess it helps me with my ego problems... :bigsmile:

SSpeeDEMONSS
06-19-2006, 01:00 AM
i love the sound of my '03 with straight 4" pipe. it isnt that loud inside my cab. but then again, im only 20, i like everything that i own to be loud. but really, with the windows up it isnt bad. i cant wait to hear it with my 6" stacks and my SCT!! :ylsuper:

sredish
06-19-2006, 11:12 AM
i cant wait to hear it with my 6" stacks and my SCT!! :ylsuper:

uuuh, there will most likely be a nice difference in in-cab resonances..... :ylsuper:

SSpeeDEMONSS
06-19-2006, 06:06 PM
i hear you on that one. that's why i have a nice little custom exhaust planned for it. jackthebear3 is helping me out big time. :thankyou2: