PDA

View Full Version : 2006 lbz info for more power.

grindleracing19
12-24-2013, 08:02 AM
hello there i have a 2006 gmc 2500hd crew cab, use it for my every day driver and also a wee end toy time to time at the local truck pulls.
Looking to get some more power out of the truck.
What i have as of right now efi live tuning by starlite diesel, egr block off plate,k&n intake,4 inch mbrp exhaust,fass 150 lift pump, ppe race plug.
Any one out there could tell me my next step or any good combos to possibly get me to the 500 or over mark only making 430 hp and 808ftlb . any info would be great.
PS. soon to builld the tranny as we all know that is a week point

thanks

Mr. Magoo
12-24-2013, 12:21 PM
Get the trans built soon. You can toast the stock trans with a lift pump and small efi tune alone. Id suggest getting a new turbo. Fleece cheetahs are very popular. Or get a twin kit using the stock turbo over a s472/475. That should get you into the 500+ club

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

CGD
12-24-2013, 12:47 PM
A built trans and a retune should do it.

DirtyMaxx03
12-24-2013, 01:15 PM
Yup, drop $4-$5k on a built trans and good torque converter then tell Zach to set her on kill. A max effort tune should put you around 520rwhp.
Next step after that is to upgrade the turbo. For now just build that transmission and run max effort tune, you'll be surprised

grindleracing19
12-25-2013, 12:07 AM
ok thanks guys i will get onto the tranny build as soon as i get home from working offshore . when should i be worried about the pistons and rods as i have read there is alot of problems with the lbz pistons ..

Mr.T
12-25-2013, 12:20 AM
The 6 speed Allison that's behind the LBZ will hold 500hp with just a transgo Jr. Kit, if you can kill that trans with a small tune and a lift pump you're doing something wrong.

grindleracing19
12-25-2013, 02:32 AM
ya my tranny if perfectly fine right now with the power that i got and a lift pump has nothing to do with the tranny..... i have hurd just a converter and trans go kit will be fine but i might as well build it and only do it once .. thanks all also i have to stay will 2.5 charger for work stock rules in my area for pulling ....

LMMGilotine
12-25-2013, 08:20 AM
Transgo jr. and a deep pan here, running a lift pump, fuel rail plug etc. Efi 125/150hp daily driver tunes and a 200 tune when someone wants to see what its got. No issues here. I also don't drive my truck like an idiot. You wont hurt the trans without a lift pump bc a dmax will suck the fuel rail dry without one on bigger tunes, thats why everyones referencing the lift pump and trans...

DirtyMaxx03
12-25-2013, 10:04 AM
ok thanks guys i will get onto the tranny build as soon as i get home from working offshore . when should i be worried about the pistons and rods as i have read there is alot of problems with the lbz pistons ..

600hp is the beginning of the danger zone. Whether it be the rods in the lb7 and LLY or the pistons in the LBZ and LMM.

There's a ton of guys running around with 600-650hp on stock duramax's, even a few north of 700....it's just playing with fire though.

grindleracing19
12-25-2013, 11:39 AM
thanks guys im def going to be doing a tranny build. and is there a turbo out there that would help me before i put fuel to it or should i put a cp3 pump and inj to it before a turbo what do you guys think ???

CGD
12-25-2013, 04:12 PM
The age old rule is air before fuel.

DirtyMaxx03
12-25-2013, 04:27 PM
Air before fuel always. That turbo is maxed out before the injectors are.

grindleracing19
12-26-2013, 01:32 AM
ok thanks guys proberly going to get ahold of danville performance and see what they have for me . any one have any suggestions staying with the 2.5 rules ? and still drivable all year even in the cold months in maine ??

Mr. Magoo
12-26-2013, 10:40 AM
Transgo jr. and a deep pan here, running a lift pump, fuel rail plug etc. Efi 125/150hp daily driver tunes and a 200 tune when someone wants to see what its got. No issues here. I also don't drive my truck like an idiot. You wont hurt the trans without a lift pump bc a dmax will suck the fuel rail dry without one on bigger tunes, thats why everyones referencing the lift pump and trans...

I could hurt mine on my LBZ with a PPE excelerator standard, intake, and exhaust.

JWhite
12-26-2013, 10:41 AM
Mark @ Danville will set you up good. He has plenty of options for 2.5" inducer turbos, most of it depends on the rules of the class you pull in, and whether you are building a motor soon or not. A stock turbo modified for 2.5" rules with a billet wheel will make good power. Again, talk to Mark or Larry if you go to Danville.

JWhite
12-26-2013, 10:44 AM

Its sucking the rail down? The 200 tune probably isn't 200 then :lolly:

DirtyMaxx03
12-26-2013, 10:57 AM
ok thanks guys proberly going to get ahold of danville performance and see what they have for me . any one have any suggestions staying with the 2.5 rules ? and still drivable all year even in the cold months in maine ??

s464

grindleracing19
12-26-2013, 11:19 AM
my tranny holds up fine with my lift pump right now and my 430 808 tune have hooked it a dozen times and raced it 6 times this summer . also hual a dump trailer with fire wood all over in the fall truck runs great shifts smooth and firm i just know if i go with any more power i will need a tranny so might as well build it before i need it . thanks guys i get ahold of dansville and see what kinda of combo they can get me with out cracking my pistons ... realy dont want to get in that deep yet.

grindleracing19
12-26-2013, 11:20 AM
kinda off subject but also thinking about locking it front and rear with a e locker front and a grizzly in the rear and going from 265 bfg to 33x12.5x16 trxus sts whats every one think for truck pulling ??? will it make the truck undrivable on the road ?????

1pieceatatime.
12-27-2013, 02:49 PM
There will be some that will disagree on this, BUT grizzlys and detroits are not great for pulling. The way they lock tends to be hard on axles and shocks the driveline quite a bit.

FYI, the factory G80 IS a true locker, thought they are not without there issues.

The E-locker up front is great. I love mine. 3 seasons of sled pulling and 2 seasons of snowplowing.

JWhite
12-27-2013, 04:58 PM
Truetrac rear, elocker front.

1pieceatatime.
12-27-2013, 05:07 PM
Truetrac rear, elocker front.

No, a True Trac isn't really an upgrade for a daily driver that sees any offroad or winter road conditions. True Tracs do not work in reverse.

LMMGilotine
12-27-2013, 07:40 PM
I could hurt mine on my LBZ with a PPE excelerator standard, intake, and exhaust.

Define hurt. Send into limp mode or you had metal in the fluid?

Its sucking the rail down? The 200 tune probably isn't 200 then :lolly:

Before I had a lift pump the 200 tune would drop my fuel rail psi to the point the truck would basically fall on its face. Once I installed the lift pump it stays right at 26k. What do you think the 200 tune is then?

JWhite
12-27-2013, 07:57 PM
No, a True Trac isn't really an upgrade for a daily driver that sees any offroad or winter road conditions. True Tracs do not work in reverse.

Never heard of them not working in reverse??? Once that G80 goes boom I'd put a Truetrac in. IMO a true "locker" isn't very street friendly either.

JWhite
12-27-2013, 08:01 PM
Define hurt. Send into limp mode or you had metal in the fluid?

Before I had a lift pump the 200 tune would drop my fuel rail psi to the point the truck would basically fall on its face. Once I installed the lift pump it stays right at 26k. What do you think the 200 tune is then?

I'm sure your 200hp tune is pretty close when it holds rail, but generally speaking its a good idea to set a PW table to start backing down if pressure drops much below 150mpa @WOT. That might be why it lost power.

LMMGilotine
12-27-2013, 08:44 PM
I'm sure your 200hp tune is pretty close when it holds rail, but generally speaking its a good idea to set a PW table to start backing down if pressure drops much below 150mpa @WOT. That might be why it lost power.

Most definitely, I saw it drop below 22k psi right after getting the tuning on the biggest tune, only took about a day for me to figure it out that I needed a lift pump to run that tune asap. Just drove it on the 125 tune which would still drop it to 165mpa @wot. Got the lift pump within a week or so and then tested it out with a burnout haha. Has stayed right at 26k since under WOT, no loss in power.

1pieceatatime.
12-27-2013, 08:58 PM
Never heard of them not working in reverse??? Once that G80 goes boom I'd put a Truetrac in. IMO a true "locker" isn't very street friendly either.

Helical style lockers are not designed to work in both directions. Eaton will come right out and tell you that.

The G80 is unique in that it has clutch packs for smooth engagement, yet still locks solid.

If you blow a G80 up, you probably ran it half broke for a long time. They are very repairable, and can be fixed for a fraction of the cost of an "upgrade"

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

JWhite
12-27-2013, 09:17 PM
Well, learn something new every day

grindleracing19
12-28-2013, 01:35 AM
ok ill keep the stock g80 in the rear till faliur and lock the front with a e locker . any other upgrades do you guys suggest ????

1pieceatatime.
12-28-2013, 06:54 AM
ok ill keep the stock g80 in the rear till faliur and lock the front with a e locker . any other upgrades do you guys suggest ????

I assume you got all the front end upgrade parts covered?

grindleracing19
12-28-2013, 11:15 AM
contigo front end braces and tie rod sleeves . and a special set of front shocks in the summer time for pullins and of course take the torsion key bolts out .... any other suggestions on anything for street truck and week end fun pull truck ???

TheBac
12-28-2013, 01:27 PM
Straight centerlink.

1pieceatatime.
12-28-2013, 07:01 PM
contigo front end braces and tie rod sleeves . and a special set of front shocks in the summer time for pullins and of course take the torsion key bolts out .... any other suggestions on anything for street truck and week end fun pull truck ???

Going back to your charger. What kind of rules do you have where you are at in Maine? An OE charger Dmax with a lift pump and max effort tune will wax most "Northeast 2.5" trucks

grindleracing19
12-29-2013, 12:02 AM
as far as i know as of now we have gone to ppl rules ... which from what people say 2.5 charger rule for work stock .... there is some good hooking trucks up here in maine .. im a top 10 truck with what i have now for power so i know i need more .. thanks

grindleracing19
12-29-2013, 12:18 AM
looking online there is now "work stock " rules for ppl tho so idk what the deal is these are the rules as of last year . from what they are saying we are going to have a work stock 2.5 class then a 2.6 class and then a 3.0 class for this year.

SUPER STREET DIESEL
8,000 LBS. MAX WEIGHT
2. HITCH HEIGHT TO BE 20” MAX MUST BE REARWARD MOST POINT
OF THE VEHICLE WITHA 3” WIDE BY 3.75” LONG OPENING. MUST
BE REESE TYPE RECEIVER AND HITCH.
3. DOT APPROVED TIRES MAX SIZE IS 35” X 12.50 AS LABELED BY
MANUFACTURER, NO CHAINS OR STUDS.
4. TRUCK MUST HAVE VALID REGISTRATION AND BE ROAD WORTHY
5 OEM DRIVELINE ONLY. THIS APPLIES TO FRONT AND REAR END
HOUSINGS, TRANSMISSIONS, AND TRANSFER CASES. AFTER
MARKET GEARS, LOCKERS, AXLES AND CV JOINTS ALLOWED.
6. VEHICLE IS LIMITED TO ONE TURBO 2.6” INDUCER BORE AND WILL
BE CHECKED WITH A 2.65 SLUG. IT IS THE DRIVER’S RESPONSI-
BILITY TO PROVIDE ACCESS TO THE TURBO FOR THE TECH MAN
7. ALL TRUCKS LIMITED TO ONE (1) INJECTOR PUMP. LIFT PUMPS
ALLOWED.
8. P-PUMPS ALLOWED ONLY ON VEHICLES PRE 1988. MUST BE
STOCK APPEARING.
9. ANY OEM WHEEL BASE ALLOWED. NO MODIFICATIONS ALLOWED,
MUST BE FACTORY.
10. DUAL REAR WHEELS NOT ALLOWED
11. DRIVE SHAFT HOOPS RECOMMENDED, OR CHAINS MANDATORY.
MUST BE AT LEAST 5/16” CHAIN OR CABLE, NO NYLON STRAPS. 2
CHAINS OR CABLES PER SHAFT.
12. TRANSMISSION BLANKET RECOMMENDED
13. GUILLOTINE AIR SHUT-OFF RECOMMENDED
14. ALL WEIGHTS MUST BE IN BODY. NO ADDED WEIGHT IN CAB,
UNDER THE HOOD, IN THE FRAME OR IN A BUMPER OR BULL PAR
15. ENGINE MUST BE FACTORY FOR THE VEHICLE AND BE IN OEM

grindleracing19
12-29-2013, 12:19 AM
17. No water and/or methanol injection. No nitrous or
oxygen enhancing agents. No propane. Diesel fuel only.
Vehciles may be checked with a sniffer.
18. Vehicles must retain factory suspension parts. Blocks
are allowed. Lift kits allowed.
19. Sled stops recommended
20. Exhaust must exit upward
21. Air to air intercooling only on water to air intercool-
ers
22. Fuel map enhancement allowed
23. A/m exhaust and intake allowed

1pieceatatime.
12-29-2013, 07:25 AM
If your in the top 10 with 430hp, not to be a dick, but thats kind of proving my point.

Also, I wouldn't be scared to run a max effort tune on the pulling track with a stock trans. You won't b past 3rd gear unless the track is complete garbage and you pull in low range. A stock 6 speed will live quite a while on the pulling track @ 500rwhp+ IF you can resist the urge to try the hot tune on the street.

grindleracing19
12-29-2013, 08:00 AM
no i understand . i dont run my max tune now on the street . thanks for the help..

grindleracing19
12-31-2013, 11:09 AM
does any one have a email address for zach at starlite diesel ???