PDA

View Full Version : First Poster, Seeking Cummins 6CTA8.3 Pointers

M925A2
03-02-2014, 11:17 PM
Just bought an M925A2, which is a military 6x6 5 ton cargo truck. Has a Cummins 6CTA8.3 (mechanical with aftercooler) in it, Bosch MW type pump.

Seeking suggestions to increase acceleration (power). Truck has a 5 speed Allison auto that shifts at about 2000rpm's. Top speed is 67mph @ 2300rpm.

I have a basic understanding about turning the pump up in several different areas, but I don't understand the correlation between that and adding larger injectors. Also, what about delivery valves? I think I can use a 5.9L gsk kit in this governor..? Would like to upgrade the valve springs but don't know a source.

Also, what is the procedure to check and adjust the pump timing? The gear housig does not seem to have a removable panel where the injection pump resides. Heard 19-22 degrees is fabulous for these engines, but don't know how to do it. Also a source for head studs on this engine. Turbo upgrade recommendations?

Sorry for the shotgun questions. I'm a gasoline guy now in a diesel world. I know I will get told to search, and I will, but it does take hours, and sometimes posting/answering can actualky be quicker. Not always. Thanks in advance.

Ackerdiesel
03-03-2014, 12:40 AM
Welcome!
I'm not 100% sure but isn't this engine a front gear train engine? If so is there not a oil fill port or a plastic plug infront of the gear? If so that's the access for the pump nut. The easiest way to set the timing is with a dial indicator in the #1 DV bore. A source for valve springs would be Snedge on here

Ryan

M925A2
03-03-2014, 06:13 AM
Hi Ryan, thanks for the fast and polite response. Yes, this engine has a front gear drive train, much the same as a 5.9L, except the front cover has no access ports, the oil fill cap is on top of the one-piece rocker cover.

Ackerdiesel
03-03-2014, 02:34 PM
What better time to reseal the front cover then... What turbo is currently on that engine? Too many engines and etc to remember lol

Ryan

mfsuper90
03-16-2014, 06:45 PM
MW pumps are a ***** to work on. Completely different from a p or an A pump. That is, if your MW governor is anything like the MW on my mercedes