Removing all factory wiring and custom wiring a competition truck

getblown5.9

Ceritified Kleenex Dealer
Has anyone gutting ALL of the factory wiring harness out of a puller or race truck and wired in small aftermarket distribution block.

I would need a main ignition power on to supply power to everything, and a starter button, then I need switched circuits for the following-

-dash/gauge lights
-running lights/headlights
-reverse light triggered from nv4500 switch
-2x-IC water pumps
-Engine coolant water pump
-radiator fan

Seems I can ditch alot of weight and unneeded mess by removing all of the factory wiring and just doing something like a painless race car set-up. Anyone done this and have any tips, pics, or suggestions?

Ive wired a few cars like this from scratch, there are some great marine fuse boxes to be had that are waterproof, and great quality. start there, you dont have much to wire anyways

An 8 circuit kit from Painless would do the trick. You could probably do it cheaper sourcing your own block and wire like Ahale said.

Next time I rewire somehting I will go that route, or from a company other than Painless...great product but I would try something different next go around, jsut because.

Like this?
IMG_20140313_131332365_zpsvip4es2z.jpg

Yes we have. It is a little more intense than what was posted above. I don't seem to have one with it completed, it is probably about 80% done in this picture:

IMAG0613_zpsihj78oub.jpg

Big thanks to Randy @ Toxic Customs, as that level of wiring is way past my skill set, my only contribution was the big aluminum plate to put it all on. :hehe:

I'm using a factory relay block out of a early to mid 90's grand prix's, malibu's, and similar body's. It can hold 3 40A relays, 2 20A relays, 4 large blade fuses(all battery hot) and 9 mini blade fuses.

We are just finishing up our truck using the same switch panel as JL posted. Our friend, who is doing our wiring, pretty much rewired the panel though. Now the light comes on with the component and not just the switch. Trying to keep it simple and easy to trouble shoot with the fuse on the panel and the relays easy to access. I also used a piece of 7 wire trailer wire loom to go out of the cab. That way everything has its own color. I was tired of the all red wiring we did before.
I will try and remember to post some pics when it is all done.

We are just finishing up our truck using the same switch panel as JL posted. Our friend, who is doing our wiring, pretty much rewired the panel though. Now the light comes on with the component and not just the switch. Trying to keep it simple and easy to trouble shoot with the fuse on the panel and the relays easy to access. I also used a piece of 7 wire trailer wire loom to go out of the cab. That way everything has its own color. I was tired of the all red wiring we did before.
I will try and remember to post some pics when it is all done.

I need to come down and see you guys.

The gap between more and enough never changes.

Back