PDA

View Full Version : Air-Bags, where?

Burner
06-25-2006, 01:29 PM
I need some Air-bags...... where do I go?
I'll need a tank and some other junk to boot. :doh:

Billysgoat
06-25-2006, 08:55 PM
For the air bag "helpers" your best price will be Summit or J.C. Whitney IIRC from when I was looking at them for the goat before I got the house on wheels. The absolute slickest setup I have seen is the Kelderman (sp?) air hitch. It replaces your rear spring attach point with a set of bags that also cushion the hitch (which is replaced as well). I really like that setup since you keep from getting your teeth knocked out when the truck is empty and the bags are inflated.

For tanks try to find a semi salvage yard, you can usually pick up a DOT rated tank pretty cheap.

Burner
06-26-2006, 01:29 AM
Thanks Billy! :rockwoot:

nummit
06-26-2006, 06:36 AM
It depends on what you are looking to do. Billy got it right though, Summit,Jegs etc will have a bag set up to level the truck if you are hauling big weight.
Kelderman is an awesome suspension, but is BIG $$$$$$ If you are going show truck and want to spend 10k they are the way to go

http://www.keldermanairride.com/

NPloysa
10-20-2006, 07:55 PM
Kelderman is a huge investment for sure, that's why I am building my own 4-link with 2 inch rear and 3 inch front, using the same bags but custom setup and will only cost about $3000.

For helpers, try Ride-rite.com. I had some on my old Ford and got them at a camper/RV dealer.

Nick

RacinDuallie
10-20-2006, 08:43 PM
I ran the Air lift bags on my duallie, when empty just drop the psi to 5psi. Nowhere near as expensive as the exotic Kelderman-although it is a nice set-up. And yes hit the big rig yards for storage tanks,ect.

Burner
10-20-2006, 10:55 PM
Which pump would be good? I've seen several.....but have no Idea of which one will work well and last?

NPloysa
10-24-2006, 06:01 PM
Most Viairs or Thompsons will work, make sure to get one with a high duty cycle and a larger tank.

6.0kingranch
10-24-2006, 06:26 PM
I have the Ride-Rites on my rear and love them. I have an onboard compressor w/ tanks with controls in the cab. By far a great investment. I even added a ratchet reel with 25ft of hose to fill tires and use air tools.

Burner
10-24-2006, 06:29 PM
That sounds GREAT! Can you post a few links to the compressors here?

6.0kingranch
10-26-2006, 08:01 PM
i use a Air Zenith 200 PSI Red compressors hear it a link to a place that sell's themehttps://www.suicidedoors.com/AirManagementCompressors.php

Burner
10-27-2006, 05:35 PM
:Cheer: Thanks

SiKStroke99
12-12-2006, 09:25 PM
I also have a s-10 pickup that Ive been building for years and know a lot about this subject. Suicidedoors.com is the cheapest place to get airbag stuff. All you will need is a 3gallon tank for this situation. The air zeniths are good but overkill and plus they pull a huge load and need a big relay and wire and all that fun stuff. The Viar 420 is perfect, I use them right now. They even have a wiring diagram under the air managment section to show you how to hook it up. Your going to need a pressure switch also, but they are only $20. Stay away from PTC fittings. Only use compression fittings. You can go to home depot and get most of what you need. Dont get larger that 1/4'' line or it will be hard to control the speed. The simplest way to do it is tho uses a in line ball valve between the tank and bags, somewhere thats easy to get to or you can use and electric solenoid valve, which gives you in cab switch control but you have to wire it up. hope this helps, its much easier than it sounds to hook it all up. good luck.

Billysgoat
12-12-2006, 09:58 PM
I just found out a local company is a distributor for the ride rite bags, if anyone is interested in a set lemme know and I'll check with them for you. A buddy here looked at buying a set from the local guys, said they were a good bit cheaper than JC Whitney :rockwoot: