PDA

View Full Version : Improve Coolant Flow at the rear of the block!

Bobcat698
10-28-2007, 05:01 PM
http://www.puredieselpower.com/pics/coolant/coolantkit.jpg
http://www.puredieselpower.com/pics/coolant/coolantkit1.jpg
http://www.puredieselpower.com/pics/coolant/coolantkit3.jpg

Install the rear plate(8) marked & o ring(9) in the diagram, then using heater hose I plumbed the hose into the heater core return line (the hose that leads down towards the oil filter). You will also need a 90 degree fitting and a plug to cap the other port.

This will eliminate the possibility of blowing the rear freeze plug and also help coolant flow along cylinder #6. The rear freeze plug is under a LOT of pressure.. I managed to blow 3.5 gallons of coolant out this port when the hose blew off.

On some trucks, you may need to grind the plate to allow it to clear the bell housing.

You can do this with the cylinder head off.
It isn't fun, but is definitely do-able!

I wouldn't attempt it with the cylinder head on, but maybe it could be done, I'm not sure.

WUnderwood
10-29-2007, 01:35 AM
any Common Rail guys do this yet?

BigYellowIron
10-29-2007, 06:36 AM
Same setup as I will be using, just have not installed it yet.

RacinDuallie
10-29-2007, 06:55 AM
Cool deal here. Me likey. Thanks Bobcat !

Signature600
10-31-2007, 06:52 PM
How do you get the back freeze plug out?? Can't seem to get it by prying it out!

Chris

Crawler
10-31-2007, 10:14 PM
How do you get the back freeze plug out?? Can't seem to get it by prying it out!

Chris

Are you doing this from the top of the engine? OR From behind with the tranny out?

TravisG
10-31-2007, 10:19 PM
Garrett knows how to get it out!!! It is a pretty sweet setup and keeps that back cylinder a lot cooler than stock.

BigBadDodge
11-04-2007, 11:57 AM
The EEP kit also works very well and is plumbed into the top radiator hose.

http://www.diesel-central.com/photogallery/pictures/Ad_174_14.jpg

BBD

BigBadDodge
11-04-2007, 12:00 PM
Here is the one I installed in the ole BBD

http://www.diesel-central.com/photogallery/pictures/Ad_209_4.jpg

BBD

Lance
11-06-2007, 02:10 AM
whats the valve for?

Bobcat698
11-07-2007, 12:50 PM
whats the valve for?

AFAIK its a pressure regulator.

RedPuller
11-12-2007, 02:33 PM
The EEP kit also works very well and is plumbed into the top radiator hose.

http://www.diesel-central.com/photogallery/pictures/Ad_174_14.jpg

BBD
So that plate is bolted to the back of the block and takes the place of the freeze plug?

Joe

WUnderwood
11-12-2007, 03:14 PM
yes, it does

366ci_cummins
11-12-2007, 03:18 PM
i put this plate in last year, it made a difference. The down side of the thing is that your heater is not near as hot!!!! Thats the sucky part. I drove 10 hours in my Carhartts to northern Wisconsin. But the upside is that the coolant flow was not hindered at the back of the block anymore

Bobcat698
11-18-2007, 02:00 PM
We now carry the cooling kits here (http://www.puredieselpower.com/catalog/9402-cummins-cooling-kitimproves-coolant-flow-cylinder-p-1374.html).

White Knight
11-28-2007, 09:45 PM
So whats the best way to get the freeze plug out? I'm planning on installing this soon while I have the head off.

Opie
12-03-2007, 09:31 PM
i put this plate in last year, it made a difference. The down side of the thing is that your heater is not near as hot!!!! Thats the sucky part. I drove 10 hours in my Carhartts to northern Wisconsin. But the upside is that the coolant flow was not hindered at the back of the block anymore

I don't understand why you didnt plum it to the bottom of the thermastat houseing area. There is a 1/2npt plug on the bottom that could be removed and replaced with a reducer. (Instead of routing to the return hose.) That way you wouldn't be going around thermastat and the motor/heater would get to temp. Was any concern given to lowering the flow rate inside the head coolant cavities from this mod?

Signature600
12-04-2007, 10:07 AM
Not to but heads with you Opie, but I'm a bit confused by your statement. Are you saying that without this mods, no coolant is circulated before the t-stat opens? Cummins manual says otherwise (small amount of coolant is bypassed, and circulated to avoid hotspots)...I'm not sure why this would affect heater operation.

I ran this kit from the rear of the block, to the heater core, through my water cooled charger, to the auto tranny heat exchanger, and then to the lower radiator hose/water pump inlet.

Just asking for clarification...I could be confused:D
Chris

Opie
12-04-2007, 05:33 PM
What? lol

The pic shows the new coolant line is bypassing the thermastat and Teeing into the return hose. 366ci said that his heater is not near as hot. Seems to me that this mod would decrease lower coolant pressure in the engine from the water pump/lower the amount of coolant being returned through the passageways. The freeze plug in back of the engine is in back of the #6 cylinder sleeve. Pretty much all the sleeves are in a common bath sort of speak. While the sleeves do get hot my belief is that the cylinder head is what requires more attention. And by adding a external return line in it above cylinder 6 it would still lower coolant pressure and do more controling heat. The casting of the head stinks in that area, there is a small freeze plug I tapped and will be running a steel line from. So I have a similar goal in mind but as stated before l routed my return so that it is below the thermostat housing. Also there is a pretty big restriction of air in the plenum to #6, or there used to be in mine anyway.

Signature600
12-04-2007, 06:46 PM
Oh...OK. I never looked at the pic above. My bypass comes off the rear of the block, and after running through some accessories, it returns to the bottom radiator hose!

That should negate the ill effects your thinking of...shouldn't it?

Told you I was confused!
Chris

bonesmx2000
12-04-2007, 11:01 PM
on brads truck cummins366 we ran the hose from tha back of the block to the head soo i dont know why he said he was having problems keeping heat in the cab
i know when he went to wisc we ran coolant lines to his fass system and everything got mixed up and one of the lines got into his exh and he had to put ina shut off so maybe when he did the shut off it changed where the coolant went and where it returned i dont know for sure because we havent had it in the shop and tried to fix it yet
but also school buses and bread trucks that run an air compressor run that plate garrett is selling they take the water from #6 and put it in the compressor to cool it and them return it to the head

Sledpuller
12-05-2007, 08:19 AM
The idea of running it to the top rad hose, with a pop off valve, is to let excess water pressure bleed off at high rpm-before it blows your freeze plugs out.

I had a manual valve on mine, before I would pull, I'd flip it.

Opie
12-05-2007, 11:12 PM
Oh...OK. I never looked at the pic above. My bypass comes off the rear of the block, and after running through some accessories, it returns to the bottom radiator hose!

That should negate the ill effects your thinking of...shouldn't it?

Told you I was confused!
Chris

So basically you decided to bypass the radiator with the new circuit you put in. So 366 heater runs cooler and yours is a little hotter? lol

Signature600
12-06-2007, 06:59 AM
Yeah, I guess I did:D Just like the factory does;)

Chris

White Knight
12-06-2007, 11:58 PM
So where are you guys T-ing into the heater return line? At the back by the bulkhead or in the elbow?

Also I'm still wondering how to get the freeze plugs out from the top? Thanks

doug60
02-12-2008, 04:22 PM
Any more info on this??
thanks,doug

Begle1
02-13-2008, 10:21 AM
Any reason it wouldn't it work on a first gen?

I think I know of at least one first gen with it done...

BC847
02-15-2008, 08:33 AM
Any reason it wouldn't it work on a first gen?

I think I know of at least one first gen with it done...

I'll let you know in a week's time. ;)

Begle1
02-15-2008, 11:12 AM
I thought that you had already done it...

BC847
03-03-2008, 07:47 PM
The Cummins issue fits the 1st Gen truck albeit snug, It can't be installed with the head on IMO.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u237/BuiesCreek847/CTD%20Head/AdjunctInstalled.jpg

Begle1
03-03-2008, 10:52 PM
Good thing I'm taking my head off soon, then. Thanks.

Couldn't one put a pressure regulator on it and use it to save your freeze plugs at high RPM?

bansley
05-31-2008, 11:18 AM
A neat little trick is to screw in a self tapping screw in to the plug and use a claw hammer to pry it out. Works slick.......as long as you have room to do so !!

Later, Brian

richsdieselperf
07-22-2008, 10:03 PM
why cant the hose plumb into the heater hose coming out of thr fire wall?

Bobcat698
07-22-2008, 11:18 PM
why cant the hose plumb into the heater hose coming out of thr fire wall?

Thats how we do ours.. The return line is what we use.